Netflix moves into live entertainment by signing the WWE for a 10-year deal

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan

A huge game-changer for the largest streaming provider. A 10-year, $5 billion USD contract.

With Amazon being a major player in the sports contract world, this opens up some big doors for the NHL upon rights renewal.

Live sports has been the last bastion of the cable world. With NFL, MLS, and the WWE integrating into the streaming world, this could spell the end for traditional cable.

Does Netflix make a play at the NHL? Do Amazon or Apple?

• Wow
Reactions: SirJW

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Live sports has been the last bastion of the cable world. With NFL, MLS, and the WWE integrating into the streaming world, this could spell the end for traditional cable.

In the last five months WWE has completed deals for their 3 main weekly shows.

One with The CW Network (Broadcast)
One with the USA Network (cable)
One with Netflix (streaming)

Makes it an odd take to now say "this could spell the end for traditional cable" when it's 1 of 3.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Thats almost 10Million per episode on top of the live arena gate and merch money pretty damn good

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
And Netflix prices are going to go up again. I feel like this deal in 5 years is going to be like all those insane ESPN sports deals of the last decade. Maybe it will work out.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018

Makes it an odd take to now say "this could spell the end for traditional cable" when it's 1 of 3.
Had NBCUniversal/Peacock won this round of bidding, then Raw would have stayed on USA (with Peacock getting a simulcast of both Raw and Smackdown, likely, and Hulu losing the next-day replays they currently have). I figure part of the reason WWE went with Netflix over NBCUniversal was streamlining international rights and because Netflix has greater subscriber numbers.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Had NBCUniversal/Peacock won this round of bidding, then Raw would have stayed on USA (with Peacock getting a simulcast of both Raw and Smackdown, likely, and Hulu losing the next-day replays they currently have). I figure part of the reason WWE went with Netflix over NBCUniversal was streamlining international rights and because Netflix has greater subscriber numbers.
I think the international is huge.

The USA network is only one country. Netflix is everywhere. The announcement already includes Canada and the UK, WWE's second and third largest market. The indication to expand is in the press release.

If Netflix eventually gets global rights for Raw it's a big changes to the live entertainment landscape.

Reactions: oknazevad

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I bet there'll still be ads between matches/promos, though maybe they will be less obnoxious.
Definitely will still be ads. Just like there's ads with other sports on live streaming. Even now, unless you pay for the ad-free tier, the "premium live events" (the major cards formerly known as PPVs) have ads. (Viewers on the ad-free tier just get replays of recap video packages).

Though one thing to note about those ads is that there a part of the reason that fans hoping for the return of the late-90s Attitude Era style raunchiness are going to be disappointed. WWE's still going to have sponsors to appease. And still have licensees like Mattel that want to sell toys and other kid-friendly products. Plus they want to sell tickets to parents with kids. They're not going to do anything to alienate those revenue streams. (Plus the nostalgia-glasses wearing is big with those fans. Most of that period was junk.)

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Definitely will still be ads. Just like there's ads with other sports on live streaming. Even now, unless you pay for the ad-free tier, the "premium live events" (the major cards formerly known as PPVs) have ads. (Viewers on the ad-free tier just get replays of recap video packages).

Though one thing to note about those ads is that there a part of the reason that fans hoping for the return of the late-90s Attitude Era style raunchiness are going to be disappointed. WWE's still going to have sponsors to appease. And still have licensees like Mattel that want to sell toys and other kid-friendly products. Plus they want to sell tickets to parents with kids. They're not going to do anything to alienate those revenue streams. (Plus the nostalgia-glasses wearing is big with those fans. Most of that period was junk.)
They're willing to push it, but more in a "violent" way, rather than the "ass and tits" way that, let's be real, is how much of these people seem to want it. We saw that last year when LA Knight and the late Bray Wyatt were feuding and also how Edge/Adam Copeland and Finn Balor had a Hell in a Cell match that was tied in with that Exorcist film at WrestleMania.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not surprised they went to streaming, I am that it’s Netflix since they’ve never done this before. Figured if it was going streaming exclusive, it would be Amazon.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

Cable companies who also control internet access could just start charging over data usage if they did run into trouble. HD streaming uses a shit ton of data.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Very curious to see what the AEW TV rights in Canada negations look like now that WWE and Sportsnet are no more

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I’m not surprised they went to streaming, I am that it’s Netflix since they’ve never done this before. Figured if it was going streaming exclusive, it would be Amazon.

I imagine Netflix is more popular among kids / more kids use it vs Prime?

That might've been a factor, gives them a chance to bring in new fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad