NESN NESN now available in New England on You Tube TV - $35 a month for many channels

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How about Bruins on NBCSN?

They carry NBCSN AND they also have NESN PLUS :)

Uc4JnIG.jpg

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
We crazy sports fans are the last bastion of slaves to cable.

I have one group of friends who couldn't care less about sports and most of them never even bothered with cable when their got their own places.

I have another group who were big sports fans and now watch very little because they just won't pay for cable.

For me, it's something I couldn't imagine going without.
Hard for me to remember the time before DVR and packages like center ice where you'd realistically miss a third of the games just out of "life" happening.

I remember one of the first purchases I made when I got a part time job was a TiVo.

The only reason I have it is because the Mets and NFL RedZone.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I predict data capping to follow.

Comcast already has a theoretical cap of 250gb per month. As someone who cut the chord forever ago I get to there every month.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have been doing a test drive of the service on both my laptop and iPhone and the video quality is excellent and lag time is minimal (under 20 seconds)

For local channels it offers

Channel 4 (CBS), Channel 5 (ABC), Channel 9 (ABC), Channel 25 (FOX), Channel 56 (CW) and NBC Boston. It doesn't offer Channels 2, 7, 38 or 68. While it offers MSNBC and FOX News it doesn't offer CNN. It does offer full NESN and CSN-NE and all the ESPN Channels. It also makes available the Big 10 Network, CBS Sports Channel, NBCSN and the Olympic Channel. I was actually shocked that NESN Plus was also available.

It isn't a perfect solution but a promising alternative.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I tried it for a year and it just wasn't worth the headaches.

The frustration when they internet would go down and the game would buffer.
The lag being several seconds behind everyone else on the GDTs.
The hundreds of dollars spent at Applebee's watching Patriots games when streams were unavailable.
You can get those games in he with a cheap antenna.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'm not in Boston so I can't sign up, but I'm amused that they offer the Tennis channel and not NHL Network. :laugh: :help:

I too spend $$$ for Xfinity, but that's because I've never felt like researching internet options, and they're the only cable service available in my apartment complex. You'd think I live in the boonies or something, instead of just outside Nashville.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Currently it's only on through your phone with a app or desktop/laptop .You can chromecast to the TV with any of these options.

that sucks about not being able to use it through apps on the tv yet.
ive been using vue for over a year now.
its the same price.

but having to use chromecast for the youtube one isnt an option for me. ill stick with vue.
i dont watch the pats much so fox on youtube wont make me switch.
if they had pbs and nhl network. maybe.

and like someone mentioned. i work for a cable company and caps will be coming soon if you dont use the cable companies streaming service. just a heads up.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
Just signed up for the free trail to see if it's worth it. I'm watching the Red Sox right now, but I can't get it in HD. Is that the norm for this?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just signed up for the free trail to see if it's worth it. I'm watching the Red Sox right now, but I can't get it in HD. Is that the norm for this?

I am getting full 1080 HD - click the gear symbol on lower right - it may have you in SD because of your connection

6iDfn56

SpeedyLazaro

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2008
Boston
I'm more concerned with the Bruins NOT being on the NESN Go App.

Is Youtube Tv part of the Youtube App on Apple TV?

Silva

Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
This is very tempting! Does anyone know if we will be able to watch Bruins games in 1080p through youtube tv? I'm thinking on cable (e.g. fios) it's only 1080i or 720p

Anyone know the answer to this? Is the quality on YouTube tv actually better than cable since it is 1080p?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Anyone know the answer to this? Is the quality on YouTube tv actually better than cable since it is 1080p?

good question. Id like to know too.
And as soon as youtube gets the playstation 4 app working for the TV, I'll prob switch to that from ps Vue

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I tried it for a year and it just wasn't worth the headaches.

The frustration when they internet would go down and the game would buffer.
The lag being several seconds behind everyone else on the GDTs.
The hundreds of dollars spent at Applebee's watching Patriots games when streams were unavailable.

There really isn't anyone out there providing efficient alternatives for sports fans. We are the red headed step child of the industry. It's a shame.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I am getting full 1080 HD - click the gear symbol on lower right - it may have you in SD because of your connection

6iDfn56

Me too. Red Sox quality has been terrific and it isn't very far behind, if at all, the cable stream.

I hope hockey being a faster sport comes through as well but so far I have nothing bad to say.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth

6iDfn56

Yes, I checked the setting and all that. It does seem to be connection-related though because I'm able to get full 1080 HD at home, which is what really counts.

This might be the first time I consider cancelling cable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad