NESN NESN delays 4K telecasts of home Red Sox and Bruins games and won't say why

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
3 months ago NESN said 4K coverage of Red Sox home games would begin April 1st.

NESN Keeps Its Eye on the 4K HDR Ball With Launch of New Studio

When the Red Sox throw out the first pitch of their 2021 home opener, NESN will become the first regional sports network in the country to produce an entire season of home games in 4K HDR. In preparation for this technological leap, the New England-based RSN has launched a new 4K HDR-capable studio at its headquarters in Watertown, MA.

The trucks used at TD Garden and Fenway are now fully 4K and the production truck vendors are telling NESN don't you dare blame us for the delay. The Watertown studio has been upgraded to 4K and nobody outside of upper management knows what the issue is.

The issue could well be Xfinity because NBC Sports Boston uses a different truck vendor based in Pittsburgh for Celtics home games that has not dispatched a 4K truck to Boston. However, that same vendor is now shooting 4K for Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox for NBC Sports Chicago.

Personally, I don't think NESN is to blame here as they spent a lot of money upgrading the Watertown studio for 4K. NBC Sports Boston is in new studios in Needham that are also 4K so :huh:

Believe me, seeing a hockey telecast in 4K is a significant upgrade.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
This is beyond annoying. I've been waiting for over a year now to upgrade my directv box to the 4k one, but it won't be worth it until I can watch most sports in 4k. A few random games and one or 2 channels just aren't worth it.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Somewhat unrelated question, but is there 4K content out there yet besides sports and a few movies? I mean, I assume I’m not going buy 4K today and suddenly see cable news and regular networks broadcasting in 4K, right?

I’d have to head out to a Best Buy and see it for myself before upgrading my FiOS...and my TV sets.

It does seem strange to delay it. If the machinery is all there, I can’t see why, other than being worried about PR from technical glitches. Nothing worse than advertising your big opening day 4K rollout, and then telling your customers to switch down to HD because you can’t deliver. Maybe premiering it on a low pressure game (April weekday matinee vs Atlanta?) as a “soft rollout” would lower expectations?

But AFAIK, 4K has been around long enough that these types of glitches should be ironed out.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Fox broadcast a couple football games in 4K last year. My Xfinity 4K box was a little glitchy, in that it wasn't easy switching between a 4K and a regular HD channel. However, the picture was amazing! It showed the benefits of 4K far better than any other source material.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Once nesn is in 4k, will fubo tv be able to stream the 4k? Amy idea when the 4k streaming will start

BTW I read miss youtube tv. Still pissed off they dropped nesn

same, youtube tv quality and app (atleast on andriod tv) is miles better than Fubo. As far as 4k on Fubo i know they advertise some things sporting events are 4k but i dont think i have seen one. Everything is 720p, which stinks.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I remember when HD was a huge thing. :help:

I am so lost on all the technologies now. :wally:

Thinking of getting a tv for my spare bedroom but no idea what's a good buy these days.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Somewhat unrelated question, but is there 4K content out there yet besides sports and a few movies? I mean, I assume I’m not going buy 4K today and suddenly see cable news and regular networks broadcasting in 4K, right?

I’d have to head out to a Best Buy and see it for myself before upgrading my FiOS...and my TV sets.

It does seem strange to delay it. If the machinery is all there, I can’t see why, other than being worried about PR from technical glitches. Nothing worse than advertising your big opening day 4K rollout, and then telling your customers to switch down to HD because you can’t deliver. Maybe premiering it on a low pressure game (April weekday matinee vs Atlanta?) as a “soft rollout” would lower expectations?

But AFAIK, 4K has been around long enough that these types of glitches should be ironed out.

You can find 4k/uhd shows/movies on the streaming services. I am not sure about Netflix, but I have seen some on Amazon Prime and HBOMax.

Also, the new video game systems have 4k/uhd games.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Thinking of getting a tv for my spare bedroom but no idea what's a good buy these days.
depends on what you want and the space required, then how does that hook in with existing sets you already have, some of these are simple to hookup if you have the knowledge to do so...

it also depends on what you want in the spare, because there's nothing less than HDMI today

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It would be nice if NESN always worked in HD on my TV. It's 50-50 if I get random splotches. Same problem happens in SD. Yes I do have Xfinity. It only happens on some channels.

Walkenthewalk

Dec 10, 2008

I'm clueless too, so when our living room set hit the skids I asked the IT guy at work. He recommended the TCL as a reasonably priced option that was good for gaming (not a gamer but I took that as a positive.)

Picked one up on sale from Walmart before the holidays. Very nice set, I ended up moving the first one into our bedroom and picking up a bigger one for the living room.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
3 months ago NESN said 4K coverage of Red Sox home games would begin April 1st.

NESN Keeps Its Eye on the 4K HDR Ball With Launch of New Studio

When the Red Sox throw out the first pitch of their 2021 home opener, NESN will become the first regional sports network in the country to produce an entire season of home games in 4K HDR. In preparation for this technological leap, the New England-based RSN has launched a new 4K HDR-capable studio at its headquarters in Watertown, MA.

The trucks used at TD Garden and Fenway are now fully 4K and the production truck vendors are telling NESN don't you dare blame us for the delay. The Watertown studio has been upgraded to 4K and nobody outside of upper management knows what the issue is.

The issue could well be Xfinity because NBC Sports Boston uses a different truck vendor based in Pittsburgh for Celtics home games that has not dispatched a 4K truck to Boston. However, that same vendor is now shooting 4K for Bulls, Blackhawks, and White Sox for NBC Sports Chicago.

Personally, I don't think NESN is to blame here as they spent a lot of money upgrading the Watertown studio for 4K. NBC Sports Boston is in new studios in Needham that are also 4K so :huh:

Believe me, seeing a hockey telecast in 4K is a significant upgrade.

Do I need a 4K TV to notice?

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Get a TCL. They have 40 inch 4k tvs for about 250 bucks.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I have a 4K TV,AVR and according to Comcast a 4K STB,but when I check Device Settings it says the broadcasts are Full HD. Are they broadcasting 4K?

MrMars

May 26, 2006
I have a 4K TV,AVR and according to Comcast a 4K STB,but when I check Device Settings it says the broadcasts are Full HD. Are they broadcasting 4K?
Right now they are only 4K on FIOS, DirecTV should be soon, they had the games in the schedule and then removed them.

Other thread has more details.

Reactions: BNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad