NES/SNES Classic Editions

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
An emulator is alright on an ouya or something with a decent control,

but on a pc or mobile phone its just stupid. I mean try playing megaman or super mario on a mobile phone. Its horrible. I play tactics advance (a classic) on emulator but thats one of the few that are playable.

This is a decent product for its price and I'd really be interested in seeing what more they come out with if this sells well.

What? what's wrong with playing it on pc?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
That is a pretty cool idea for a throwback system and something to have just kicking around for fun. I will probably get one but will wait until they are at a lower price point or a sale.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's never felt the same to me. Not really "sit on your couch and just play."

I'm the same way, I've never been able to get into emulators because I always want to play those kinds of games on my couch, not at my computer.

Touch screen controls for games that originally utilized a controller is a complete no-go for me as well.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
I'm the same way, I've never been able to get into emulators because I always want to play those kinds of games on my couch, not at my computer.

Touch screen controls for games that originally utilized a controller is a complete no-go for me as well.

Get a cheap PC and hook it up to your TV

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Get a cheap PC and hook it up to your TV

Spend $400 on a cheap pc and then have it sit unsightly in your living room...or spend $60 on this cute thing that if anything adds to the decor of the room.

I wager most would opt for the latter.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The ouya I think is discontinued but similar devices do what it does, Android boxes that can emulate games, play towerfall, stardew valley, etc as well as being a media device without needing a massive computer tower sitting on your TV set

Last edited:

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto
Spend $400 on a cheap pc and then have it sit unsightly in your living room...or spend $60 on this cute thing that if anything adds to the decor of the room.

Your living in the past you can get PC's that are quite small and don't look out of place at all in the living room more then a cable box would and if your goal is emulation of older consoles you don't need to spend $400 more like around $100 heck even my PC from the early 2000's could do NES and SNES emulation.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Your living in the past you can get PC's that are quite small and don't look out of place at all in the living room more then a cable box would and if your goal is emulation of older consoles you don't need to spend $400 more like around $100 heck even my PC from the early 2000's could do NES and SNES emulation.

.....and you're still breaking the law. This is a legal solution to those who want it.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm pretty sure Contra not being on it is due to licensing. And Castlevania III uses a different mapper than the rest of the games, so it probably would have cost more to include just the one game.

I think it's going to do really well. $60 for a plug n play is high, but this thing 1)has a great line up of quality games 2) a controller that can be use with the wii u, and 3) will be aesthetically pleasing. Most people who like to play retro games (which is a huge market right now) will like to have this.

I collect retro games, so it doesn't appeal to me as much. I have all of the games and the original system and would much rather just play them on that. However, I know many collectors are still planning on picking it up just for ease of use on the family TV. This thing is going to appeal to lots of different people.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

ITX PC's will give you all the small PC options you wish for. Cost? Yeah, this new NES will trump those, but PCs are always going to let you do more.

Cryorig_Ola_2_575px.jpg

A more convoluted setup is using by using Steam, a Steam Link, Bluetooth KB/touchpad, and 360 controller. Add the emulator to your Steam library, use the KB/touchpad to navigate the emu from your couch, and the controller for the games.

Or a Raspberry Pi. Lots of case options with those, and the 3 is pretty powerful.

Still, I want this new NES, even though I can already emulate the games forwards and backwards with everything else.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
.....and you're still breaking the law. This is a legal solution to those who want it.

Yep, **** like this is why cool stuff like game preservation can never "legally" happen. A bunch of discontinued software and hardware that people can neither acquire nor take steps to preserve because 30 years down the road a rights holder might decide that they want to release something like this to milk a few more nostalgia dollars out of people.

And it's Nintendo, so brace for retailers getting like 2 units each and for scalpers to once again cash in on their tendency to short stock. And for people to inexplicably be willing to pay said scalpers.

Reactions: Supermassive

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
ITX PC's will give you all the small PC options you wish for. Cost? Yeah, this new NES will trump those, but PCs are always going to let you do more.

Cryorig_Ola_2_575px.jpg

That thing looks like it would get pretty loud, especially because it's using pc parts in a small case, the fan would be running all day.

Maybe I'm wrong though

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
That thing looks like it would get pretty loud, especially because it's using pc parts in a small case, the fan would be running all day.

Maybe I'm wrong though

It's supposed to be similar to the Mac Pro, with a central 120mm fan in the center.

Cryorig_Ola_print_1_575px.jpg

Cryorig_Ola_print_678_678x452.jpg

Cryorig's other ITX case I like better though:
Cryorig_Taku_print_575px.jpg

Cryorig_Taku_print_1.jpg

(In the second pic, obviously nothing is hooked up though.)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10354...case-for-gaming-pcs-ultraslim-desktop-chassis

Most ITX cases still look like a stereo receiver or mini mid tower, but I like what they are trying.

I just can't go full ITX though, as I have too many HDs, I do use my optical drive every so often, and o/c my CPU.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So I understand the nostalgia factor and the fact that it's iconic, but why use the original controllers? The rounded controllers that came with the NES2 (like the SNES controllers) would probably be better from an ergonomic standpoint.

Using different controllers than the originals would defeat the nostalgia purpose. If you grew up playing these games on the NES, then you want to re-play them with the same controllers, even if they're ergonomically uncomfortable. They're mentally comfortable.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Yep, **** like this is why cool stuff like game preservation can never "legally" happen. A bunch of discontinued software and hardware that people can neither acquire nor take steps to preserve because 30 years down the road a rights holder might decide that they want to release something like this to milk a few more nostalgia dollars out of people.

And it's Nintendo, so brace for retailers getting like 2 units each and for scalpers to once again cash in on their tendency to short stock. And for people to inexplicably be willing to pay said scalpers.

Its their right.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

Wow :laugh:

bitter much?

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Using different controllers than the originals would defeat the nostalgia purpose. If you grew up playing these games on the NES, then you want to re-play them with the same controllers, even if they're ergonomically uncomfortable. They're mentally comfortable.

Nah, I always use a Playstation controller to play my emulated games, and it's still great. It's also way more comfortable.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Nah, I always use a Playstation controller to play my emulated games, and it's still great. It's also way more comfortable.

Yeah. There's a reason why there were dozens of 3rd party controllers for 8-bit and 16-bit systems. (although the Genesis 6 button controller was pretty comfy)

I wish the system came with one of these
FDSF06XHFONERA7.LARGE.jpg

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Well sure it's not as iconic, but did no one play the Nintendo update? And the new controller kind of looks like an SNES controller, so it will still have that nostalgia. And the key is that it is s till a vintage design, just not the original.

But anyways I have more attachment to the games and the console (and the chiptune style of sound). I can see why people care about the controller because it is the thing you hold all the time, but you also never really look at it and those old controllers were just so uncomfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->