NES/SNES Classic Editions

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I beat Super Mario earlier today; I did this over hours of remembering but I've finally beat it again. With this, I've found far too many people of my age never actually beat this game before. Wild to think about. I "beat" it when I was 10, but my sister & brother really beat it, I was just there. Apparently, that's not uncommon with my 30 year old friends...

I never thought beating Super Mario World was that difficult. There's only a handful of levels that are challenging, like that f***ing wizard castle right before Bowser when he keeps following you. I'm like you, I beat it when I was a kid. Completing Special World, on the other hand, is much more difficult.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I figure that has less to do with difficulty and more to do with people generally not beating the games that they play.

Super Mario World kind of becomes easy the moment you realize that you should always be holding the run button, even when you're unsure of yourself and taking it slow.

--

On another note, I recently discovered Top Gear 1, 2, & 3000, and I'm surprisingly charmed by them. I'm not usually a fan of the genre, but pretty easily three of the best racing games on the system. Has this great retro feel/music (not to mention really memorable cheesiness) that holds up much better than something like F-Zero, IMO.

"Eat dirt.... Loser!"

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I figure that has less to do with difficulty and more to do with people generally not beating the games that they play.

Super Mario World kind of becomes easy the moment you realize that you should always be holding the run button, even when you're unsure of yourself and taking it slow.

--

On another note, I recently discovered Top Gear 1, 2, & 3000, and I'm surprisingly charmed by them. I'm not usually a fan of the genre, but pretty easily three of the best racing games on the system. Has this great retro feel/music (not to mention really memorable cheesiness) that holds up much better than F-Zero, IMO.

"Eat dirt.... Loser!"

I loved Top Gear 3000 growing up. Buying upgrades for your car and the fuel system made the game challenging. I never beat the campaign but it was always fun seeing how far I could get. Couldn't find a non-glitchy ROM for it for my SNES mini though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I loved Top Gear 3000 growing up. Buying upgrades for your car and the fuel system made the game challenging. I never beat the campaign but it was always fun seeing how far I could get. Couldn't find a non-glitchy ROM for it for my SNES mini though.
I'd recommend giving Top Gear 2 a shot if you haven't tried it. I think it's the best of the three, and is right up there with, maybe even better than something like Super Mario Kart. Frankly, I'm surprised it flew under the radar for me for so long.

The music is great and memorable (though the first one probably beats it there), everything gives you a great sense of speed, the mechanics with the usage of nitros and upgrade systems are simple but deceptively rich and satisfying, it's appropriately challenging, it feels great to control, the visuals are on point without pushing the limits of the technology, and there are a bunch of minor touches that give it a campy kind of charm (eg. The opening title music has this sample where someone randomly interjects "You might be missing some of the benefits that stereo can provide").

Also, something about the driver you're playing as being a comically smug d-bag/dork every time he passes or bumps someone really amuses me.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
EB Games has NES Classics in stock online now and says they'll have units in limited stock at stores tomorrow (Friday).

Best Buy also says it'll have stock listings online for web and in-store stock Friday morning at 7am PT/10am ET.

I managed to snag one from EB and it'll be delivered in like 8-10 business days.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
EB Games has NES Classics in stock online now and says they'll have units in limited stock at stores tomorrow (Friday).

Best Buy also says it'll have stock listings online for web and in-store stock Friday morning at 7am PT/10am ET.

I managed to snag one from EB and it'll be delivered in like 8-10 business days.

NES Classic or SNES??

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
NES Classic or SNES??

NES. As in the original Nintendo system

EDIT: **UPDATE** I didn't track Best Buy constantly this morning because I already got lucky last night with EB, but they are already listed as sold out online. Also it appears that either the store stock indicator is disabled because they don't plan on allowing reservations or check-ins, or becuase it's still early and nobody's in the stores yet to accept incoming stock and populate their inventory.

So if you're looking for one, it might be best to call Best Buy instead of checking online.

EB Games, too. Most of those stores appear to open at 10am local time this morning.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I was so tempted to keep the SNES Classic loaded with SNES games, and buy the NES Classic strictly for NES games. The controller makes the biggest difference. Was really disappointed by the wireless controller response, though. Impossible to play SF2 on it. Somebody else wins, I sold it to him cheap when I rage quit the project.

I’m all-in on a N64 Classic if that ever happens, though. That system needs the official controllers. A wireless batarang controller would be amazing.

shadow5150

Sep 10, 2008
Walmart has them(NES Classic) right now with free shipping. They said it will arrive on Tuesday.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was so tempted to keep the SNES Classic loaded with SNES games, and buy the NES Classic strictly for NES games. The controller makes the biggest difference. Was really disappointed by the wireless controller response, though. Impossible to play SF2 on it. Somebody else wins, I sold it to him cheap when I rage quit the project.

I’m all-in on a N64 Classic if that ever happens, though. That system needs the official controllers. A wireless batarang controller would be amazing.
I feel like the authentic feel goes right out the window if you use wireless 8-bitdo controllers anyways-- do not understand the appeal-- they just look wrong to my eyes. I opted for extension cords instead, and they work great-- no response delay whatsoever.

Also, you can actually use the SNES controllers directly on the NES Classic.

But it's kind of pointless to get both, I think, because all you're paying for is the shell-- they're the exact same hardware underneath, NES controllers are unusable, and you can easily mod one of them to dual boot the other anyways.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I feel like the authentic feel goes right out the window if you use wireless 8-bitdo controllers anyways-- do not understand the appeal-- they just look wrong to my eyes. I opted for extension cords instead, and they work great-- no response delay whatsoever.

Also, you can actually use the SNES controllers directly on the NES Classic.

But it's kind of pointless to get both, I think, because all you're paying for is the shell-- they're the exact same hardware underneath, NES controllers are unusable, and you can easily mod one of them to dual boot the other anyways.

All true.

I was thinking of loading them up with games without doing the storage mod, as a kind of all-in-one set piece for each system.

I used the Hori SNES arcade pad. It worked well, but needed a direct line of sight to the system, which caused issues. Agree that corded is the way to go.

Really like how everything out of the box feels authentic. So much better than the other retro boxes out there. Nintendo deserves props.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Was never able to buy one the Classic editions, but I bought the Analouge version of the SNES and it beats out the SNES classic. The ability to play other games was the swinging point for me.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
How does this thing do with non SNES games? I was thinking about modding it to see how it handles N64 games but from what i've read it appears to be very mixed on what and what doesn't run.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
How does this thing do with non SNES games? I was thinking about modding it to see how it handles N64 games but from what i've read it appears to be very mixed on what and what doesn't run.
My impression based on what I tried is that it runs arcade games every bit as well as the SNES games (even something like Street Fighter III Third Strike ran really smoothly for me), then there's a bit of drop-off in performance for NES and Genesis games (not too noticeable), and a bigger drop-off for GBA, PSX, and N64 games. I also tried PSP games and that was borderline unplayable.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Rather see a mini Saturn or N64, just from the emulation standpoint. Not interested in a PS mini, just because I still have mine (it's modded, and still have my memory cards), and the early 3D games didn't age as well...which is rich, considering I would buy a N64 or Saturn, but MK 64 or Panzer Dragoon are just that good, and N64 games don't run all that well on an RPi3.

I also have a Saturn, but it's not modded, and my Dreamcast is just so easy.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Rather see a mini Saturn or N64, just from the emulation standpoint. Not interested in a PS mini, just because I still have mine (it's modded, and still have my memory cards), and the early 3D games didn't age as well...which is rich, considering I would buy a N64 or Saturn, but MK 64 or Panzer Dragoon are just that good, and N64 games don't run all that well on an RPi3.

Agreed. This is just speculation on my part and I'll emphasize I don't know the market, but it seems like there'd be more PlayStations and PS2s floating around to play these games than there would be the other retros we've seen so far. And of course, collecting the specific games out of the 20 that you're most interested in playing would be easier for the PS than it would be for the (S)NES. The unit is also priced higher than the previous releases we've seen.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Finally got my hands on a SNES classic, and played Star Fox 2 for the first time...

I can see why it got cancelled. It's slow, clunky, and ugly compared to the original. It's also very short, completeable in under twenty minutes. It's just not a good game and had Nintendo released it people would have demanded their money back.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I've been trying to play the SNES Tecmo Super Bowl since i put it on my SNES classic and i'm starting notice some teams are straight up unbeatable no matter how hard i try. In particular, the Chiefs. Either Derrick Thomas blows through my offensive line or Christian Okoye goes "lol' and runs through 5 or 6 different would be tacklers (makes sense given how much of a force of nature he was when he played, but still)

I just find it weird it's the Chiefs of all teams, yet i can blow the doors off of Buffalo, who iirc are the best all around team in the game

member 157595

I've been trying to play the SNES Tecmo Super Bowl since i put it on my SNES classic and i'm starting notice some teams are straight up unbeatable no matter how hard i try. In particular, the Chiefs. Either Derrick Thomas blows through my offensive line or Christian Okoye goes "lol' and runs through 5 or 6 different would be tacklers (makes sense given how much of a force of nature he was when he played, but still)

I just find it weird it's the Chiefs of all teams, yet i can blow the doors off of Buffalo, who iirc are the best all around team in the game

Do you mean the NES Tecmo Super Bowl? Okoye is overpowered in that game; you generally need to dive-tackle him unless you're using a great defensive player (and even then you may have to.) Bo Jackson may be even worse, because if he's in good or excellent health and he gets into the open field you have literally no chance whatsoever of catching him.

Buffalo and San Francisco are the two best teams in the game. However, if you let the CPU simulate a full season, the 49ers are more likely to win than the Bills according to my results as a kid. If you control the 49ers, specifically the nose tackle (Michael Carter?) you can stop the vast majority of plays before they start by side-stepping the C and dive tackling the QB/RB. If you time it right, like my asshole brother did growing up, you can pretty much kill your opposition.

God I love that f***ing game. Perfect example of how a sports game didn't need realism to be fun to play.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Do you mean the NES Tecmo Super Bowl? Okoye is overpowered in that game; you generally need to dive-tackle him unless you're using a great defensive player (and even then you may have to.) Bo Jackson may be even worse, because if he's in good or excellent health and he gets into the open field you have literally no chance whatsoever of catching him.

Buffalo and San Francisco are the two best teams in the game. However, if you let the CPU simulate a full season, the 49ers are more likely to win than the Bills according to my results as a kid. If you control the 49ers, specifically the nose tackle (Michael Carter?) you can stop the vast majority of plays before they start by side-stepping the C and dive tackling the QB/RB. If you time it right, like my ******* brother did growing up, you can pretty much kill your opposition.

God I love that ****ing game. Perfect example of how a sports game didn't need realism to be fun to play.

Yep, that's a good move you can do with pretty much every NT in the game. The one year I played with New England, Garin Veris had 60 sacks using that move. :laugh:

Glad I put it on the NES mini. Still enjoy the heck out of playing it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Try a mini-PC. They're easy to find these days, the attachments for real controllers work, and then think of something like Launchbox. My set-up is beautiful. And I use all original controllers for NES, Genesis, Super Nintendo, and N64.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad