NES/SNES Classic Editions

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
True, I guess my point is that the criticism is overblown, it's very similar to modern 3rd person cameras, just without the second analog stick. It's much easier to get used to then people claim, imo it's because so many games today control so damn similarly that people just find it so jarring going back. Every single game controls either like assassins creed or far cry or splinter cell if it's a stealth game (which people really don't give enough credit for how much it influenced the stealth genre), so when something is different they consider it bad.

It's like how halo started the 2 weapon slots and regenerating shield. Every game copied it when it didn't even make sense, just because it was popular and people were used to it.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I see it.
That's fair, and that's always something that's in the back of my mind when people talk about things being dated. Often people talk about nostalgia being a factor that clouds perception, but it's never brought up that modern conventions that people are used to but may not actually be an objective improvement can play just as large of a role. It's treated like a one-way thing but in reality, there can be just as much bias in either direction.

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The only one of those "junk" titles that I think is actually junk is Blast Corps.

Really? Wow. Blast Corps is one of my all-time favorite games. Especially the levels where you're jumping from vehicle to vehicle, performing crazy manoeuvres to keep the explosions from happening. It was like a Hot Wheels dream come true. It ranks above the N64 Zelda games for me, as the game was long, and the time trials added even more replayability. Mind you, most N64 games I owned were highly replayable. Mario, Zelda, Goldeneye, Wave Race, Excitebike, 1080 Snowboarding...and on and on.

Big question for the modders: Have you added USB OTG storage to your SNES/NES Classic? And was it easy to do? I'm looking at some walkthroughs, and it seems that if you're on the newest version hakchiCE 2.30, it's as easy as formatting your memory stick to NTFS and then exporting your games through the hakchi program. Am I close?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Inconceivable! Consoles don't make people like what they don't have in their library! You've gone mad. Mad I tell you!

I'd totally buy a PSX Classic. For their 2D games and RPGs, mostly. Just sayin'.

:laugh:

I just look back at things and laugh now. I was so hyped for the N64 that there was basically no way it could be anything but a disappointment for me. My best friend got a PlayStation and we exclusively hung out at his house, so ultimately it was a jealousy thing. I wanted the stuff I couldn't have. That's what being 11 is all about :laugh:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I was a Nintendo fanboy until the N64 turned me into a RPG diehard and 2D purist.
I had the same experience. I would not consider myself much of a gamer, but when I was a kid at the tail end of the SNES era, I was really into games on the Nintendo/Super Nintendo and found them to be inspired things. Then when everyone became obsessed with 3D graphics/the N64, I was like "Ugh, this looks terrible and doesn't feel charming at all. Videogames are kind of stupid, aren't they?" I was still obsessed with the PSX Final Fantasies and 2D Arcade fighters from Capcom/Neo Geo, but beyond that I had completely lost interest in videogames as a whole, and it just got worse after that-- Videogames weren't even a thing for me for about a decade.

At the time, I attributed it to just growing out of videogames, but in hindsight, I think I just legitimately thought videogames became worse and started focusing on the wrong things. Another huge factor was that, as a big fan of animation, I loved the personality that good sprite art had, whereas polygons just felt like technology, and that immersive first person shooter look that everything had (and still does) just has absolutely no appeal to me. I only started to return to having interest in the medium recently, when I started realizing that off-the-beaten-path games, retro games, and indie games started to overtake and influence AAA games.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Funny thing is the SNES has a killer library of RPGs that imo only the PSX can rival. Final Fantasy III, Super Mario RPG, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana and Evermore, Dragon Quest (in Japan), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound.

I got around to modding my classic finally and man do i love being able to put anything i want on it. I added;

DKC 2 and 3
Harvest Moon
NHL 96 (94 bores the hell out of me with no season mode)
Ken Griffey's MLB Baseball
NBA Jam: TE
Chrono Trigger
Gradius 3
Super Mario All Stars (not sure why this wasn't included to begin with)
Earthworm Jim
Tecmo Super Bowl

Probably will add a couple more down the road but for now i'm really happy.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I put Griffey on mine because we played thousands of games of it as kids, and I made the mistake of playing against the Mariners in my first game, as I attempted to re-learn it.

Gave up 37 hits. Laughed my ass off.

I forgot how I truly loved the NES and SNES, back in the era of game rentals and sacrificing so much to buy a few of the ones I loved. Playing them on the PC or other collections for later consoles, well, sucked. This feels authentic and nostalgic and so much fun.

I bought the wireless controller, the one with the 6 face button layout. It’s a great controller. Can’t play SF2 worth a damn, though. Can’t hit the diagonals. So the game I bought it for is no good, but it plays everything else perfectly. Kinda scratching my head, but oh well.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This might be blasphemy to people who grew up with it, but am I the only one here who finds the Genesis to be kind of a mediocre console, and the idea that they had a console war with the SNES kind of laughable? There are a handful of gems on it, but I feel like even the NES was a better console than it, with more interesting titles that hold up, personally.

Sega's later consoles (like the Saturn and Dreamcast) put up a much better fight, IMO.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This might be blasphemy to people who grew up with it, but am I the only one here who finds the Genesis to be kind of a mediocre console, and the idea that they had a console war with the SNES kind of laughable? There are a handful of gems on it, but I feel like even the NES was a better console than it, with more interesting titles that hold up, personally.

Sega's later consoles (like the Saturn and Dreamcast) put up a much better fight, IMO.

Genesis was a solid console.

I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10

The SNES takes a dump on it though, and I agree with you there.

SNES is a 10/10

The one console IMHO that has the least replay value for me(mostly because of desire) is the N64.

There are plenty of games that I'd play on every big console from the NES to Modern day consoles today, but there is absolutely nothing I'd ever want to play again on N64.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I had both as a kid (perks of recently divorced parents; trying to buy my love). SNES was WAY better/deeper but some of the genesis games were also great.

SNES in a nostalgia landslide though, IMO.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I was very sour on an N64 classic but I’ve really come around on it. Even if it’s just Mario 64, Paper Mario, Smash Bros, Zelda and Wave Race.

I just hope they can add an arcade racer like Beetle Asventure Racing or Top Gear Overdrive.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Yeah back then had it's own version of the console wars and people kids had their sides, though in my family we used trade ins to cycle through both consoles, but looking back on it is pretty damn obvious that while the Genesis was still good the SNES was clearly superior. Heck I always make this analogy when talking about the DC vs Marvel movie universes.

I actually have a higher opinion of the Sega Master System vs the NES though. While it didn't quite have the same library of games in this case the SMS came out later than the NES and had better hardware. So some of the games were not only really good but looked half decent as well, like Wonderboy III, Phantasy Zone, and Phantasy Star.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Funny thing is the SNES has a killer library of RPGs that imo only the PSX can rival. Final Fantasy III, Super Mario RPG, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana and Evermore, Dragon Quest (in Japan), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound.

I got around to modding my classic finally and man do i love being able to put anything i want on it. I added;

DKC 2 and 3
Harvest Moon
NHL 96 (94 bores the hell out of me with no season mode)
Ken Griffey's MLB Baseball
NBA Jam: TE
Chrono Trigger
Gradius 3
Super Mario All Stars (not sure why this wasn't included to begin with)
Earthworm Jim
Tecmo Super Bowl

Probably will add a couple more down the road but for now i'm really happy.

super mario rpg...

u couldve stopped there

harvest moon is so underrated tho....

can i have ur mods?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
No, but I can tell you the mods are incredibly easy to find and execute.

I'm not gonna link it here since I think the site has a policy against that, but just go look it up on google

Liminal Cat

Oct 11, 2011
You need to enjoy harder action games in order to appreciate the Genesis. Revenge of Shinobi /Shinobi III, Strider, Alien Soldier, Gunstar Heroes, Ghouls n Ghosts, Ranger X, Rocket Knight Adventures, Contra Hard Corps, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Castlevania Bloodlines, Vectorman, various shmups like Fireshark, Elemental Master, Thunder Force etc. I'm not a fan of all of these, but that's what the Genesis did best.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Another big silly narcissistic OCD post for no reason. I got expandable memory working and got kind of out of control filling this thing up with stuff that seemed tight/interesting/memorable to me. Pretty much represents the entire era for me, excluding maybe something like Saturn Bomberman.

Nintendo
1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Mega Man 2
3. Super Mario Bros. 2: Lost Levels
4. Super Mario Bros.
5. Mega Man 3
6. Doki Doki Panic
7. Super Mario Bros. 2
8. The Legend of Zelda

9. Contra
10. Super C
11. Ghosts 'n Goblins
12. Kirby's Adventure
13. Mega Man 5
14. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
15. Metroid
16. Castlevania
17. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
18. Ninja Gaiden

Sega Genesis
1. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
2. Rocket Knight Adventures
3. Gunstar Heroes
4. Streets of Rage 2
5. Sonic The Hedgehog 3
6. Thunder Force IV

Super Famicom & Super Nintendo (Europe)
1. Terranigma
2. Tactics Ogre
3. Final Fantasy V
4. Seiken Densetsu 3
5. Super Bomberman 5
6. Super Bomberman 3

7. Live A Live
8. Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
9. The Firemen
10. Rockman & Forte
11. Gunple: A Gunman's Proof
12. Umihara Kawase
13. Super Bomberman 4

Super Nintendo
1. Super Metroid
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Super Mario World
4. A Link to the Past
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Megaman X
7. Earthbound
8. Yoshi's Island
9. Super Mario All Stars
10. Final Fantasy IV
11. Tetris Attack
12. Contra III: Alien Wars
13. Super Mario Kart
14. Megaman X2
15. Wild Guns
16. Donkey Kong Country 2
17. Top Gear 2
18. Super Tennis
19. Donkey Kong Country 3
20. Kirby Superstar
21. Super Mario RPG
22. Top Gear
23. Super Ghouls'n Ghosts
24. Super Castlevania IV
25. Kirby's Dream Course
26. Donkey Kong Country
27. R-Type III
28. F-Zero
29. Star Fox
30. Secret of Mana
31. Turtles in Time
32. Super Bomberman
33. Super Bomberman 2
34. Pocky & Rocky
35. Pocky & Rocky 2
36. Sunset Riders
37. Space Megaforce
38. Top Gear 3000
39. Megaman X3
40. Super Punch Out
41. Aladdin
42. NBA Jam

Gameboy Advance
1. Mother 3
2. Metroid: Zero Mission
3. Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen
4. Metroid Fusion
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
6. Advance Wars
7. Drill Dozer
8. Warioware Inc.
9. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
10. Wario Land 4
11. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

Arcade
1. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
2. Street Fighter III: Third Strike
3. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
4. Metal Slug X
5. The Last Blade 2
6. Metal Slug 3
7. Metal Slug
8. The King of Fighters 2000
9. Street Fighter II Turbo
10. The King of Fighters 98
11. Vampire Savior
12. Street Fighter Alpha 3
13. Real Bout: Fatal Fury 2
14. The Last Blade
15. Street Fighter III: 2nd Impact
16. Samurai Shodown II
17. Shock Troopers
18. Street Fighter Alpha 2
19. Blazing Star
20. Wind Jammers
21. Pulstar
22. Real Bout: Fatal Fury Special
23. Marvel vs. Capcom

Nintendo 64
1. Super Mario 64
2. Paper Mario
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Sony Playstation
1. Final Fantasy Tactics
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Final Fantasy IX
4. Symphony of the Night
5. Suikoden II
6. Final Fantasy VIII
7. Vagrant Story
8. Suikoden
9. Metal Gear Solid

Last edited:

Liminal Cat

Oct 11, 2011
Shareefruck, I think you would enjoy the games of Amanita Design, particularly Botanicula.

I like the NES more than the SNES and Genesis.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Shareefruck, can you point me to the procedure you used to get expandable storage going? I'm hesitant to try online walkthroughs as they never specify which version of hakchi they are done on. I'm on 2.30.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, I've been trying Advanced Wars/Fire Emblem on and off, and I left them off for now because I don't know if I'm totally sold yet.

I'll definitely keep these recommendations in mind, though.
Shareefruck, can you point me to the procedure you used to get expandable storage going? I'm hesitant to try online walkthroughs as they never specify which version of hakchi they are done on. I'm on 2.30.
I think I used this-- it would require you to switch to a different version, but I think it's supposed to be easier than doing it on the other versions.

Liminal Cat

Oct 11, 2011
NES

5. Castlevania III
4. Mega Man
3. Gremlins 2
2. Journey to Silius
1. Ninja Gaiden

Genesis

5. Elemental Master
4. Alien Soldier
3. Revenge of Shinobi
2. Streets of Rage
1. Sonic the Hedgehog

Classic arcade

5. Missile Command
4. Ms. Pac-Man
3. Robotron 2084
2. BurgerTime
1. Galaga

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I beat Super Mario earlier today; I did this over hours of remembering but I've finally beat it again. With this, I've found far too many people of my age never actually beat this game before. Wild to think about. I "beat" it when I was 10, but my sister & brother really beat it, I was just there. Apparently, that's not uncommon with my 30 year old friends...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad