NES/SNES Classic Editions

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
:help:

I never knew how to get there so I completely forgot about that level; looked it up... I remember my sister using it when I was a kid but I was like 7 and she never shared the secret so I forgot all about it. Thank you.

I remember how to get to the star road and not that. Can only imagine how many secret levels I don't know/forgot.

On a side note, what a great game: secret levels that (at the time) you only experienced through trying everything; i bet half the people who played it never saw many of the secrets.
Remember, every red dot level has two exits and every yellow dot level has one, so you can keep track of whether or not you're missing a secret that way.

Years after I was done with the game as a kid, I was still having random dreams about secret levels that didn't exist but I could have sworn did because of how great the game was with them. :laugh:

In fact, one time, I suddenly thought of a possible secret years after I had put away the game. I recalled that trick that allowed you to go behind the finish-line and uncover a secret by falling under it with Yoshi and ejecting after passing it, and remembered another level where that trick could also possibly be used (except with a little less clearance). I dug up the game again to try it, and sure enough, it let me go behind the finish line.... but weirdly, no secret -- just an empty screen to the right of the finish line -- I had to walk back to the finish line to complete the level.
What are the characteristics of old school JRPG?
Pretty much everything that you just mentioned that you found irksome about it :p:

Chrono Trigger was actually pretty progressive in this regard-- It let you just walk around encounters to avoid them, for the most part, and the battle system felt a lot more rewarding due to the inherent fun in learning all the skill combinations. It also had the natural/accessible feel of an adventure RPG (even though it wasn't) due to all the battle animations and enemy movements affecting what you could hit.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I got mine all souped up.

NHL 94, NBA Jam, Mario All-Stars, Turtles, Maximum Carnage :vhappy:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I also got the down+select home button put on my console.

Unbelievable Nintendo didn't include it as a default.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Semi-related:

(For the record, ATGames, the company behind all those different Genesis clones from the last few years, has absolutely nothing to do with this. This is all Sega.)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Semi-related:

(For the record, ATGames, the company behind all those different Genesis clones from the last few years, has absolutely nothing to do with this. This is all Sega.)

Sega's actually much better at Nintendo at releasing their old games, as you can get all the better ones for pretty cheap on Steam, but yeah they may as well get in on this mini console craze.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Semi-related:

That's good. I got one of those ATGames ones because it was cheap and I had a coupon (for bed bath and beyond of all things) and it was garbage. Terrible emulation with slowdown and godawful audio emulation, a stupid menu system, and a ton if bloatware crap "games" stuck on the system to increase the title count beyond the real Genesis games it had. I played it for a few days and never went back. The only thing that was nice was wireless controllers (though the controllers themselves felt cheap) and that it had a slot to let you play your own Genesis games on it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Semi-related:

Uhhh... Are you sure about that? From what I can see from the linked article in your post, ATGames seems to be behind this one as well, which is enough reason for me to think it's similarly going to suck.

To commemorate the console’s upcoming 30th anniversary, Sega took the opportunity to unveil its own miniature “classic edition” version of the legendary 16-bit Genesis (or, as it was called in the rest of the world, the Mega Drive). The so-called “Mega Drive Mini” will be released in Japan first, with “the US and other territories later this year,” according to AtGames, whose technology will power the console.
Sega Genesis Mini (aka Mega Drive Mini) announced

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Uhhh... Are you sure about that? From what I can see from the linked article in your post, ATGames seems to be behind this one as well, which is enough reason for me to think it's similarly going to suck.

Sega Genesis Mini (aka Mega Drive Mini) announced

The article had been updated from the original version I read, which made it seem that AT Games wouldn't be involved. There's a note at the bottom indicating that the updates from the original version added news and clarification that AT would be part of the process.

If they are, then screw this product, I'm not trusting them to be part of a process when they borked it up so badly last time.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

The article had been updated from the original version I read, which made it seem that AT Games wouldn't be involved. There's a note at the bottom indicating that the updates from the original version added news and clarification that AT would be part of the process.

If they are, then screw this product, I'm not trusting them to be part of a process when they borked it up so badly last time.

That's... unfortunate. How the hell do you even screw something like this up in the first place? It's not exactly hard to emulate those old 16-bit games, and running them only requires minimal hardware. I mean, it was a little choppy but I could run Phantasy Star II on my families old 486 back in the day, that's like 60Mhz CPU and 4MB of RAM. Just wrap it in a reasonable looking Genesis shell with a workable Genesis controller and it should be cheap and simple to make.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Speaking of Sega, I've been pretty dismissive of the Genesis not holding up very well (other than maybe Sonic 2 and some ports that are done pretty much just as well on the SNES), but the other day I gave Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures a shot, and while they aren't exactly Super Mario World, they were actually pretty neat.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just discovered this pretty cool overlooked gem. Looks great, sounds great, feels great, and apparently the storytelling and presentation is supposed to be great as well, from what I read.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Just finished Super Mario World - although only the storyline i.e. defeating Bowser. I was surprised by how much I remembered, finding most of the secrets except for the last couple of worlds.

I didn't realize how difficult the last castle was right before going to Bowser. Probably took me about 20 attempts before beating it - always because of that stupid wizard shooting crap at me.

I'm going to try to 100% it now, I'm at about 75% now having just unlocked Special World with a few secret exits remaining on the base game.

I'll probably move on to the Donkey Kong Country trilogy afterwards to keep the platforming nostalgia going.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I hope they make something like this for the N64. It was an N64 game - Super Smash Bros. - that started the process of getting me into Pokemon, thanks to the inclusion of Pikachu and Jigglypuff (I mainly use the former) as playable characters, and SSB 64 would be a perfect game to include in it.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I hope they make something like this for the N64. It was an N64 game - Super Smash Bros. - that started the process of getting me into Pokemon, thanks to the inclusion of Pikachu and Jigglypuff (I mainly use the former) as playable characters, and SSB 64 would be a perfect game to include in it.

I think it's only a matter of time - people would definitely buy it.

I hope they're able to get Rare's games on it given the ownership of the IP for certain games. That would be a huge loss if they missed out on all the Rare classics.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Anyone remembers True Lies game for SNES ? :) Oh boy it was so addictiv (spelling?) and hard. :)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think it's only a matter of time - people would definitely buy it.

I hope they're able to get Rare's games on it given the ownership of the IP for certain games. That would be a huge loss if they missed out on all the Rare classics.

Basically the only IP that Rare developed games for on Nintendo systems that Nintendo actually owns is Donkey Kong. Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Conker, etc were (as far as I remember) entirely Rare-developed games and have for the most part appeared to have been taken with them by Rare to their new Microsoft partnership.

Rare contributions to an N64 retro system would likely be limited to Donkey Kong 64, maybe Goldeneye, and maybe Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini. I highly doubt you'd see Perfect Dark, either Banjo-Kazooie game, or KI Gold. And the number of Rare-owned characters in it likely also precludes Diddy Kong Racing.

If we were looking at a 20 game inclusion list, I could see it being something like (in no particular order. Mostly just the order I remembered games in):

1) Mario 64
2) Super Smash Bros
3) Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4) Mario Kart 64
5) Wave Race 64
6) Goldeneye
7) Zelda: Majora's Mask
8) 1080 Snowboarding
9) Blast Corps
10) Jet Force Gemini
11) Pokemon Snap
12) Kirby & The Crystal Shards
13) Mario Tennis
14) Yoshi's Story
15) one of the Mario Party games
16) Donkey Kong 64
17) Paper Mario
18) Starfox 64
19) Mario Golf
20) F-Zero X

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Diddy Kong Racing on the DS was able to retain most of the N64 characters sans Banjo and Conker (although keeping Conker might have been an oxymoron in any event given Bad Fur Day, in contrast Konami was willing to put a character from one of their M-rated series - Gray Fox from Metal Gear - in Konami Krazy Racers on the GBA years back, although we know that another crossover game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is better remembered for Metal Gear representation through Solid Snake).

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I balked at the chance of getting this the first time. Especially after the price gouging started.

I might just splurge. Then again, leave it to Nintendo to jack up the price an extra $20(unless the article I just read made a mistake...we'll see)

As for a future Sega "classic", I would be down. I was more of a Genesis fan than Super Nintendo anyway. However, this is all depending on the games included.

I still have the Genesis hits collection on PS2 and I'll stay content with that if all they will do is rehash the same games on a "classic" edition.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I balked at the chance of getting this the first time. Especially after the price gouging started.

I might just splurge. Then again, leave it to Nintendo to jack up the price an extra $20(unless the article I just read made a mistake...we'll see)

As for a future Sega "classic", I would be down. I was more of a Genesis fan than Super Nintendo anyway. However, this is all depending on the games included.

I still have the Genesis hits collection on PS2 and I'll stay content with that if all they will do is rehash the same games on a "classic" edition.
Out of curiosity, why do you prefer the Genesis over the SNES, and what are your favorites on that console? I went through the process of trying to catch up on it and only a handful of titles stood out and have held up for me.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Basically the only IP that Rare developed games for on Nintendo systems that Nintendo actually owns is Donkey Kong. Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Conker, etc were (as far as I remember) entirely Rare-developed games and have for the most part appeared to have been taken with them by Rare to their new Microsoft partnership.

Rare contributions to an N64 retro system would likely be limited to Donkey Kong 64, maybe Goldeneye, and maybe Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini. I highly doubt you'd see Perfect Dark, either Banjo-Kazooie game, or KI Gold. And the number of Rare-owned characters in it likely also precludes Diddy Kong Racing.

If we were looking at a 20 game inclusion list, I could see it being something like (in no particular order. Mostly just the order I remembered games in):

1) Mario 64
2) Super Smash Bros
3) Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4) Mario Kart 64
5) Wave Race 64
6) Goldeneye
7) Zelda: Majora's Mask
8) 1080 Snowboarding
9) Blast Corps
10) Jet Force Gemini
11) Pokemon Snap
12) Kirby & The Crystal Shards
13) Mario Tennis
14) Yoshi's Story
15) one of the Mario Party games
16) Donkey Kong 64
17) Paper Mario
18) Starfox 64
19) Mario Golf
20) F-Zero X

That was my thoughts on it as well. I think there's a decent chance of getting Diddy Kong Racing and a small chance of getting Goldeneye (I believe EA owns the rights now based on that Wii remake?).

That would still be a solid list of games, though. I'd add Pokemon Stadium, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron or Shadows of the Empire or Pod Racer, Turok (probably has aged poorly though), NFL Blitz (this has held up very well - I played it recently) or Madden 99, NBA Showtime, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 or 2, Bomberman 64, Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey or NHL 99, Harvest Moon, and Resident Evil 2. I presume getting half of these games would be difficult with the licensing. Still, this would make for a great library of games, even without the Rare classics.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Nothing on the N64 has held up. The system was the entry point in 3D gaming that has evolved to this day, which is a major difference when compared to the NES/SNES collections. Literally all of those games would be bad now once detached from nostalgia. Many of them always were.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad