NES/SNES Classic Editions

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked - Does anyone know if the 64 mini will be out?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Sorry if this has been asked - Does anyone know if the 64 mini will be out?

It has not been officially announced by Nintendo, but I'd imagine it has to come out one day. It will probably be their biggest seller as well.

I have no desire to play it though lol

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I added games to my SNES mini months ago np. I tried adding more a couple days ago but I just can't get my PC to recognize it. I tried everything I read online. My USB cables work fine with other stuff connected to my PC. A new cable is really all I have left to try.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The first time you enter the dark world was one for me. How do hell are you supposed to know to use the mirror in a particular corner to head back to the light world? Also - and these are a bit more embarassing - but having to light the lamps to battle the 2nd boss gave me a headache as did throwing items into the small lake and tell the truth to the fairy to receive upgraded items.
And I've only tried Super Metroid and found it difficult too. Will eventually get around to it. I intend on beating every game on the console unless I really despise the games. So far I'm through Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. I found the latter fun but rather repetitive set-wise and the bosses are far too easy.
Isn't the Waterfall of Wishing an optional secret?

Personally I've always found the first Donkey Kong Country to be overrated and elevated by nostalgia/impact. Donkey Kong Country 2 improves on virtually every aspect, balances everything nicely, and fixes alot of what made the first one feel shallow (more interesting bosses, two characters that are equally fun to play), more intuitive secrets rather than completely random hail-Mary's), and Donkey Kong Country 3 is more bizarre and less welcoming but more daring and innovative.

Beating every game on the SNES Classic sounds nuts to me, especially since some of those games aren't very good.

Personally, I would recommend prioritizing these ones instead (a few that you would need to add).
(Order based on mix of importance/timelessness and accessibility)

1. Super Metroid
2. Link to the Past
3. Super Mario World
4. Megaman X
5. Yoshi's Island
6. Chrono Trigger (These RPGS would be higher up if they weren't such huge investments)
7. Super Mario All Stars (or the Nintendo versions)
8. Final Fantasy VI (might be too long/tedious, but really rewarding)
9. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
10. Contra III Alien Wars (might be too challenging, but really short, and save states should help you get through it)
11. Earthbound (might be too long/tedious, but really inspired/charming)
12. Street Fighter II Turbo (although it's way better to play the Arcade one)
13. Wild Guns (might be too challenging)
14. Tetris Attack (low down because it doesn't demand completion)
15. Super Bomberman 3
16. Donkey Kong Country 3 (might be too challenging)
17. Megaman X2
18. Super Mario Kart
19. Turtles in Time (more a mindless blast than impressive/great, IMO)

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I added games to my SNES mini months ago np. I tried adding more a couple days ago but I just can't get my PC to recognize it. I tried everything I read online. My USB cables work fine with other stuff connected to my PC. A new cable is really all I have left to try.
Can't get your PC to recognize the connected console, you mean (The console isn't supposed to appear as a visible drive, btw)? Sounds more like a drivers issue. When you try to sync, it gives you a link to install drivers. Have you tried that?

Last edited:

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Can't get your PC to recognize the connected console, you mean? Sounds more like a drivers issue. When you try to sync, it gives you a link to install drivers. Have you tried that?
Ya did that first but it keeps popping up. "Failure to locate NES mini". If i turn it on while holsing reset it won't give me that message and says they're installed but when I try to add the games I keep getting the install drivers message.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I understand the sentiment, but that game without some hints would just be torture. To be fair though, not the most patient person with video games in general. That sort of stuff goes over my head and figuring stuff out for hours in video games feels counter-productive to me. Would rather spend that time figuring out/thinking about other forms of art I'm more interested in.

If I recall correctly I think the instruction manual for Link to the Past had some secrets printed in it.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Personally I've always found the first Donkey Kong Country to be overrated and elevated by nostalgia/impact. Donkey Kong Country 2 improves on virtually every aspect, balances everything nicely, and fixes alot of what made the first one feel shallow (more interesting bosses, two characters that are equally fun to play), more intuitive secrets rather than completely random hail-Mary's), and Donkey Kong Country 3 is more bizarre and less welcoming but more daring and innovative.

Beating every game on the SNES Classic sounds nuts to me, especially since some of those games aren't very good.

Personally, I would recommend prioritizing these ones instead (a few that you would need to add).

1. Super Metroid
2. Link to the Past
3. Super Mario World
4. Megaman X
5. Yoshi's Island
6. Super Mario All Stars (or the Nintendo versions)
7. Chrono Trigger (These RPGS would be higher up if they weren't such huge investments)
10. Contra III Alien Wars (might be too challenging, but really short, and save states should help you get through it)
14. Tetris Attack
15. Donkey Kong Country 3 (might be too challenging)
16. Super Mario Kart
17. Turtles in Time (more a mindless blast than impressive/great, IMO)

I think the bottom 3 are still pretty accessible. Turtles in Time is a must if you have another person to play co-op with. It actually has aged pretty well IMO. I might be biased, because it was one of my favourite games as a kid and that XBox 360 Live Arcade remake that Ubisoft did was atrociously terrible so the original looks good in comparison.

I played Mario Kart the other day and it was pretty easy to jump into. Just some issues with the controls and estimating certain turns (if you hit a wall on your last lap, you're done).

Also, wasn't DKC3 easier than DKC2? I haven't revisited them on my classic yet, but as a kid I felt like DKC2 was the most difficult (you had to pay to save your game, and that prickle bush parrot level...)

Good call on the first few games, though. I started with Link to the Past (hasn't aged at all IMO), Super Metroid, and Super Mario World.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the bottom 3 are still pretty accessible. Turtles in Time is a must if you have another person to play co-op with. It actually has aged pretty well IMO. I might be biased, because it was one of my favourite games as a kid and that XBox 360 Live Arcade remake that Ubisoft did was atrociously terrible so the original looks good in comparison.

I played Mario Kart the other day and it was pretty easy to jump into. Just some issues with the controls and estimating certain turns (if you hit a wall on your last lap, you're done).

Also, wasn't DKC3 easier than DKC2? I haven't revisited them on my classic yet, but as a kid I felt like DKC2 was the most difficult (you had to pay to save your game, and that prickle bush parrot level...)

Good call on the first few games, though. I started with Link to the Past (hasn't aged at all IMO), Super Metroid, and Super Mario World.
Yeah, but I largely preferred the games above them, for the most part, that's why they're low on the list. It's a list of games that I think hold up without reservation, so that's no slight on them. In fact, 1-14 are all games that would blow my mind and be among my favorites if they were released today.

Beat'em ups in particular, I'm not that crazy about as an adult and don't think there's a lot to them, nor do I really think of it as a must-play game, but yeah, Turtles in Time is polished fun that holds up for what it is.

I remember DKC3 being more unforgiving for casual players (and had more levels with crazy/obtuse concepts that made you go "Jesus Christ, are you kidding me? Inverted controls!?"), but I could be wrong because it's been a while for me too. It's probably less balanced and memorable than DKC2 overall either way, though.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Been playing Castlevania too. Fun sets, very accessible in an compulsive kind of way but the mechanics are clunky and that can get incredibly frustrating. Also - at least through the first few stages - if you've got enough health by the time the boss fight rolls around, you can pretty much just spam him, take the hits and still come out on top. That's too easy.

member 157595

Been playing Castlevania too. Fun sets, very accessible in an compulsive kind of way but the mechanics are clunky and that can get incredibly frustrating. Also - at least through the first few stages - if you've got enough health by the time the boss fight rolls around, you can pretty much just spam him, take the hits and still come out on top. That's too easy.

Castlevania I and III both had stiff controls. They're part of a rare group of great vintage games that controlled poorly (StarTropics is another good example; brilliant game but very stiff controls.) Konami didn't really get the controls right in a Castlevania game until Super Castlevania IV on the SNES...and they got everything right with that masterpiece.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Castlevania I and III both had stiff controls. They're part of a rare group of great vintage games that controlled poorly (StarTropics is another good example; brilliant game but very stiff controls.) Konami didn't really get the controls right in a Castlevania game until Super Castlevania IV on the SNES...and they got everything right with that masterpiece.

Super Castlevania IV is the one I'm playing. I don't know, sometimes mundane tasks like using stairs or swinging on chains is a clunky and awkward endeavor and not in a way that feels purposeful either. Same with his jumps. It's not fluid in a way that a game like Super Mario World is masterfully smooth.

Last edited:

member 157595

1. Super Metroid
2. Link to the Past
3. Super Mario World
4. Megaman X
5. Yoshi's Island
6. Super Mario All Stars (or the Nintendo versions)
7. Chrono Trigger (These RPGS would be higher up if they weren't such huge investments)
14. Tetris Attack (low down because it doesn't demand completion)
15. Donkey Kong Country 3 (might be too challenging)
16. Super Mario Kart
17. Turtles in Time (more a mindless blast than impressive/great, IMO)

You know your stuff. ;)

On a side note, it's refreshing to learn that some posters on here actually remember these games. I may have to give this place a shot.

member 157595

Super Castlevania IV is the one I'm playing. I don't know, sometimes like using stairs or swinging on chains is a clunky and awkward endeavor a lot of the time and not in a way that feels purposeful either. Same with his jumps. It's not fluid in a way that a game like Super Mario World is masterfully smooth.

If you think the stairs are a pain in the ass in SCIV, please for your own sanity DO NOT play Castlevania III. You will find the nearest set of stairs and set them on fire. :laugh:

Super Mario World...no argument there. I'd argue that SMW simply has the best play control of any vintage game on any console.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've never understood the appeal of Super Castlevania IV, personally. I've always felt that the controls feel gross and the aesthetic is garish and ugly. Even the music/atmosphere, which gets a lot of praise, doesn't do a whole lot for me.

On a side note, I tried going down the rabbit hole of trying Japanese games that never made it to America, but I didn't find it that rewarding, to be honest. There are some gems, but the gems aren't anywhere near as polished/perfect as the classics that we're all aware of.
You know your stuff. ;)

On a side note, it's refreshing to learn that some posters on here actually remember these games. I may have to give this place a shot.
I was pretty much obsessed during the SNES era as a kid, then became completely disinterested in video games after that (I've only felt strongly about around half a dozen from the PS1 until now), so it's like a light-switch suddenly flipped back on after getting the SNES Classic.
If you think the stairs are a pain in the ass in SCIV, please for your own sanity DO NOT play Castlevania III. You will find the nearest set of stairs and set them on fire. :laugh:

Super Mario World...no argument there. I'd argue that SMW simply has the best play control of any vintage game on any console.
Agreed on Super Mario World. It's like everything from Super Mario Bros. forward was slowly building up to that perfected version of the Mario platformer, and everything after it has only been able to move sideways/downward from it (as much as I love Yoshi's Island).
By the way, @Shareefruck how the heck do I add games to this thing?

Just adding games is really easy.

Last edited:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I beat chrono trigger. man what an awesome game. definitely one of the best rpgs of all time.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
So I'm having issues with the games that came loaded on the SNES.
Some won't boot up at all and just have a black screen (DKC, Super Metroid - for examples), and others have issues (no volume for Super Mario World). Any idea what the easiest way is to approach this issue?

Edit - all I did prior to this issue was try to install the Sega Gensis module and add the global command line of '--retroarch' and added Wild Guns. I don't think it's a memory issue as I have a total of 47 games (35.4MB/182.8MB)...

Last edited:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
did you backup the original file? if not you can find it online and reflash it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I've never understood the appeal of Super Castlevania IV, personally. I've always felt that the controls feel gross and the aesthetic is garish and ugly. Even the music/atmosphere, which gets a lot of praise, doesn't do a whole lot for me.

Same for me. For being a huge fan of the metroidvania 'genre' I'd never actually played the Vania portion of the equation, apart from a little bit of the original NES game when I was a kid. So when I got a Wii 10+ years ago and having always heard great things about IV I got it on the virtual console and... meh. Maybe it's the wrong one to go with if I want a Castlevania 'metroidvania' experience since it's just a straight platformer, didn't really see anything to great about it.

Not sure if I really need to get one of these mini consoles though since I went through a bunch of my favourites on the Wii, but one thing I noticed is while I think a lot of them age well and are highly enjoyable I'm just too good at the games now. Not the Nintendo-hard games like Contra, but the Zelda, Metroid, and Final Fantasy type games. Like when I played Link to the Past on the Wii, even though I'd never touched the game for 10+ years I just ploughed right through it. I found that I remember about 50% of the stuff which made things much easier, but the other half I had completely forgotten offered no challenge either. I 100%'d the game without putting any extra effort into finding secrets.

So while straight up gameplay can still be a challenge the deeper stuff like how to find secrets or how to best utilize and exploit systems/strategies part offers me no resistance.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So I'm having issues with the games that came loaded on the SNES.
Some won't boot up at all and just have a black screen (DKC, Super Metroid - for examples), and others have issues (no volume for Super Mario World). Any idea what the easiest way is to approach this issue?

Edit - all I did prior to this issue was try to install the Sega Gensis module and add the global command line of '--retroarch' and added Wild Guns. I don't think it's a memory issue as I have a total of 47 games (35.4MB/182.8MB)...
Is it only the core games that's doing that? All the added games work? Try removing the global parameter "--retroarch" and adding it individually to the added games instead. Maybe Retroarch can't play the core games properly? Don't know.

I think there's also this known issue where the system has problems if you have too many games on screen at once (but I would have expected that to cause interface problems instead of game problems). I'd recommend using folders once you start adding more than 40. Personally, I like to separate different consoles into different folders (their folder manager gives you neat console-specific icons for them) and add a new "More" folder every time my SNES list gets longer than 30 games. It doesn't feel right having to scroll endlessly anyways.

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Is it only the core games that's doing that? All the added games work? Try removing the global parameter "--retroarch" and adding it individually to the added games instead. Maybe Retroarch can't play the core games properly? Don't know.

I think there's also this known issue where the system has problems if you have too many games on screen at once (but I would have expected that to cause interface problems instead of game problems). I'd recommend using folders once you start adding more than 40. Personally, I like to separate different consoles into different folders (their folder manager gives you neat console-specific icons for them) and add a new "More" folder every time my SNES list gets longer than 30 games. It doesn't feel right having to scroll endlessly anyways.

Yep, that was the issue. Can't run Retroarch through the preloaded games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad