Confirmed with Link: Nemeth Signed - 1 yr @ 2.5

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As I said in the other thread, I’m pretty indifferent about Nemeth in general. I think he does improve the back end.

This deal takes him right to UFA where he’ll likely get a longer, more expensive deal from another team. Using that motivation along with his age, I’d be willing to bet we’re about to witness the best season of hockey Patrik Nemeth ever plays. At 2.5M I’m fine with that.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Still overpaid, but one year is good. Smart by the Avs.

Full expect him to start the year with Girard on the third pair. Or on IR apparently since he has no arms left.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Overpaid, but for 1 year so whatever.
Should be in a rotation with Barbs for 6/7 d after our clear top 5 of EJ, Barrie, Zadorov, Cole and Girard.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I wonder if he's going to stink up the joint this season if he starts on IR for the first, say, 6 weeks of the regular season. It's usually so tough for guys that miss training camp and the start of the season to get up to speed, having to play catch up with other players. In a contract year no less.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Very good 6th D, overpaid by maybe $500k but we still have $12m in cap space so it doesn’t really matter. UFA next summer, probably done with us then.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I liked him last year. Scored some key and pretty goals, did alright in his own end. Seemed kinda squirrelly at times in his coverage. Ima need that goatee to go also

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
They'll have Makar and Timmins both probably on the team next year, and they signed Barberio for 2 years, and Cole for 3 years. They may not have room for Nemeth after this year.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I don't think Timmins or Makar will fill his role, Meloche on the other hand might.

PS

I certainly don't see him back in 19/20, that is unless he completely blows us away.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's unlikely, but not impossible, Avs would be looking to trade him at trade deadline. They'd have to be out of it by then, healthy and figure Alt/Lindholm/Timmins/Meloche can fill in if needed.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Good stop gap until the kids are ready next year. Also can be a 2nd pairing guy in case of injury.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's unlikely, but not impossible, Avs would be looking to trade him at trade deadline. They'd have to be out of it by then, healthy and figure Alt/Lindholm/Timmins/Meloche can fill in if needed.

Or they could be in it and simply not have a place for him with others playing better.

Even then, I think the notion of him walking for nothing at season's end is not that big a deal. Losing a high-end player that way is one thing, losing a marginal depth guy/stopgap is entirely another. Not every expiring asset has to be flipped.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
As others have said we could do far, far worse for a #6. Going into his UFA year I think it is likely we'll see the best Nemeth possible.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Why, what's the big deal about that? Avs got him for nothing.

That shouldnt matter in the evaluation. Imo he was super solid last year, hes still in his prime so his play should not drop off. Hes an asset, not necessarily easy to replace, we got very fortunate. Oleksiak just got a 3 year deal, i feel nemeth is about just as good.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
As others have said we could do far, far worse for a #6. Going into his UFA year I think it is likely we'll see the best Nemeth possible.

Sadly he will cost much more if he does play that well and may want a role elsewhere. I would have liked to give him the olesiak contract at the end of last season and then still get cole. I felt that signing may have impacted this one.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That shouldnt matter in the evaluation. Imo he was super solid last year, hes still in his prime so his play should not drop off. Hes an asset, not necessarily easy to replace, we got very fortunate. Oleksiak just got a 3 year deal, i feel nemeth is about just as good.

Y'know I don't necessarily disagree with much of your post, I'd even agree to an extent with the Oleksiak comparison, but I'd say the Pens made a mistake inking him to a multi-year deal. He's nothing special apart from being a really big guy and that you can invite his Olympic champion sister to the rink and maybe do a pep talk.

When you throw out terms like "prime" and "drop-off," I think you're ignoring the fact that his upside wasn't that great to begin with. I don't mean to shit on him, but he's got very limited utility. He's average at best defensively, and he's positively AWFUL with the puck on his stick. The whole "icing on the cake" jokes didn't come from nowhere. He's a very good stopgap measure who did way more than what was expected of him, but a stopgap measure nonetheless.

I just think the overall notion of every player on an expiring deal having to be flipped for something, anything, is more than a little overblown. It's why I hate the term "asset management." There's not gonna be some huge market for him at the deadline. Losing him for nothing is not that big a deal, especially since (and yes, it absolutely should matter as part of the evaluation) he was gotten for nothing.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Y'know I don't necessarily disagree with much of your post, I'd even agree to an extent with the Oleksiak comparison, but I'd say the Pens made a mistake inking him to a multi-year deal. He's nothing special apart from being a really big guy and that you can invite his Olympic champion sister to the rink and maybe do a pep talk.

When you throw out terms like "prime" and "drop-off," I think you're ignoring the fact that his upside wasn't that great to begin with. I don't mean to **** on him, but he's got very limited utility. He's average at best defensively, and he's positively AWFUL with the puck on his stick. The whole "icing on the cake" jokes didn't come from nowhere. He's a very good stopgap measure who did way more than what was expected of him, but a stopgap measure nonetheless.

I just think the overall notion of every player on an expiring deal having to be flipped for something, anything, is more than a little overblown. It's why I hate the term "asset management." There's not gonna be some huge market for him at the deadline. Losing him for nothing is not that big a deal, especially since (and yes, it absolutely should matter as part of the evaluation) he was gotten for nothing.

He doesnt need to have big upside, he can play the same way as last year and still be worth 2.5 minimum. Cole just got 4 mill from us while being 3 years older, more likely to drop off at year 31 than Nemeth at 28. Nemeth imo was just as good last year, with a lower risk of drop off, so he could get more than Cole.

Can you explain why its okay to lose a waiver pickup for nothing, if that waiver pickup played much better than expected and is valuable asset? Just because you picked up a diamond in the rough (a little exaggerated here obviously) doesnt mean we should let them walk. Panarin was a undrafted free agent, doesnt mean he is worth any less.

Reactions: flyfysher

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Part of what I argued on the Cole signing was it would impact Nemeth here and the Avs would potentially be pushing a decent player out.

Reactions: Pure

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He doesnt need to have big upside, he can play the same way as last year and still be worth 2.5 minimum. Cole just got 4 mill from us while being 3 years older, more likely to drop off at year 31 than Nemeth at 28. Nemeth imo was just as good last year, with a lower risk of drop off, so he could get more than Cole.

Can you explain why its okay to lose a waiver pickup for nothing, if that waiver pickup played much better than expected and is valuable asset? Just because you picked up a diamond in the rough (a little exaggerated here obviously) doesnt mean we should let them walk. Panarin was a undrafted free agent, doesnt mean he is worth any less.

Well for the record I don't love the Ian Cole signing. But I think he's better than Nemeth, including last year.

Again, I just don't think the Avs will be taking a huge step back if they lose a stopgap measure in free agency, especially since they gave up nothing to get him in the first place. Our respective evaluations of the player himself seem to differ a bit here. He was the right guy at the right time last season, and filled a very large gap in the lineup. But I think he's replaceable. If all things go according to plan (I know, I know) then he's the 7th guy in this lineup as is.

Zadorov - Johnson
Cole - Barrie
Barberio - Girard
Nemeth
Alt

If there's a demand for him, hey, go ahead and get something decent for him. I just don't think there is.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Well for the record I don't love the Ian Cole signing. But I think he's better than Nemeth, including last year.

Again, I just don't think the Avs will be taking a huge step back if they lose a stopgap measure in free agency, especially since they gave up nothing to get him in the first place. Our respective evaluations of the player himself seem to differ a bit here. He was the right guy at the right time last season, and filled a very large gap in the lineup. But I think he's replaceable. If all things go according to plan (I know, I know) then he's the 7th guy in this lineup as is.

Zadorov - Johnson
Cole - Barrie
Barberio - Girard
Nemeth
Alt

If there's a demand for him, hey, go ahead and get something decent for him. I just don't think there is.

He is definitely above Barberio, which is why he is paid much more even as a RFA. That is not up for debate.

Its not about taking a step back or not. Its about always making the efficient, logical, concious, decisions for the continous improvement of your roster. If nemeth is signed long term, he likely wont drop off at his age. He gets traded for assets that could only help the team if Makar and Timmins take over. He is a hedge if Cole plays badly or drops off.

Now maybe his shoulders are truly that bad and its a long term risk. In that case i take it all back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad