Nelson Peltz interested in buying Islanders

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/12/21/...se/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

"Peltz has been kicking tires around the Islanders on and off for about a year, looking to see if he can get them cheap," a second NHL source told FanHouse. "It's tough right now to see anything coming of it."

In a live chat on Monday on espn.com, Pierre LeBrun said his "Hockey Night in Canada" colleague (and former Islanders goaltender) Glenn Healy had an item about Peltz's interest in the team, but the information did not make the broadcast.

A member of Peltz's public relations staff called the report, "News to us," but added on Tuesday morning that they would follow up with FanHouse if there was anything to announce.

The Brooklyn-born Peltz is the former owner of Snapple and is currently the CEO of Trian Fund Management and a board director of the Wendy's/Arby's group. His financial worth has been estimated at over $1 billion and this year Forbes ranked him the 880th richest person in the world. The 67-year-old Peltz owns homes in Bedford, NY, Palm Beach and France.
According to sources, Healy's report is correct. Peltz, known as "a takeover artist," has interest, but at his price. A formal offer from Peltz to Wang for the Islanders does not appear to be imminent.

IslesBeBack*

If this ever happens, and Charles Wang is finally gone, you will see the most amazing transformation of a franchise this league has ever seen. I am guaranteeing you that the Islanders would sell out the rest of their home games if they ever made this official.

I hate Charles Wang, i despise him, and if there's truly a god out there, he will give us one last chance to support this team. We need someone who cares about putting a winning product on the ice.

BEGGING the hockey gods to let this come true. No Islander fan would ever ask for more.

4Isles4*

This is all i want for christmas...the guy is a republican so you know hell get what he wants...:sarcasm:

In all serious this would be a great uplift for the Isles and thier fans he is a brooklyn native and he is not vested in a "mega city" like wang is he would only want a state of the art arena and would most likley get it...

However sales of franchises dont happen over night...and I dont think WANGS EGO would let him look like a failure.....

Also Peltz has no ties to Snow and might end up hireing a good and real hockey stuff to run the organization....Right now wang and snow are the only 2 making all the decisions in all departments.....I say bring back BOTTS and bring back TROTS for player decvelopment and hire a real GM and a Hard nose Proven Head coach and we are on our way... But again the lease will run out before this happens IMO....

NYIsles84

Dec 26, 2006
New York
deja vu anyone :sarcasm:

wang was the white knight riding in to save the day in 1999

Yes, but Wang rode in with his "hockey for dummies" book and didn't give a damn about the on ice product as long as he got his real estate deal.

This guy is a huge hockey fan, has a rink and zambonis at his house, and has a son who was drafted last year. He will know what it takes and have pride to win a Cup.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The Islanders have a strong history and they will come back if a competent management group comes to town and gets an arena built.

Wang/Snow/Milbury are without a doubt the biggest gong show the league has ever seen and the exact reason why that once proud franchise has failed. If Wang stopped holding out on his greedy land grab Lighthouse deal, put a decent GM in place and stopped meddling, the Islanders would be in a totally different boat.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
Is he going to build an arena?

new arena is a the least of NYI concerns. Players do not sign with the NYI due to our mickey mouse front office.

Only thing a new arena does is sell out the first year and if the team sucks the next year, it will be the same attendence. Do we need one? yes we do. Wang and Snow have been feeding the media that this is the issue and in reality its them.

If the Islanders are good, you will not hear much about the NVMC. I don't care about amenities, I care about what is on the ice as do many die hards NYI fans that have not come to many games under the Wang Regime.

This will be a breath of fresh air for the Island. Is Peltz a squeaky clean maybe or maybe not but we need change. He at least knows the game of hockey

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Yes, but Wang rode in with his "hockey for dummies" book and didn't give a damn about the on ice product as long as he got his real estate deal.

This guy is a huge hockey fan, has a rink and zambonis at his house, and has a son who was drafted last year. He will know what it takes and have pride to win a Cup.

Milbury still claims that Wang wanted to sign a sumo wrestler to play net. He has said it on the air more than once. I hope this works out for the long suffering Islander fans.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
new arena is a the least of NYI concerns. Players do not sign with the NYI due to our mickey mouse front office.

Only thing a new arena does is sell out the first year and if the team sucks the next year, it will be the same attendence. Do we need one? yes we do. Wang and Snow have been feeding the media that this is the issue and in reality its them.

If the Islanders are good, you will not hear much about the NVMC. I don't care about amenities, I care about what is on the ice as do many die hards NYI fans that have not come to many games under the Wang Regime.

This will be a breath of fresh air for the Island. Is Peltz a squeaky clean maybe or maybe not but we need change. He at least knows the game of hockey

I agree with you. My concern is that Bettman has already insisted that the Islanders won't play at Nassau once the lease is up. Hence, a new arena will be necessary to keep the team on Long Island. I would assume that Peltz is planning on building that as well as buying the team.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
I agree with you. My concern is that Bettman has already insisted that the Islanders won't play at Nassau once the lease is up. Hence, a new arena will be necessary to keep the team on Long Island. I would assume that Peltz is planning on building that as well as buying the team.

You would hope that he would want to build a new arena and he knows he would need to. Not sure what his plans are but I am pretty sure if he builds a new arena, it will not be in uniondale and closer to the train station. Queens would be the likely choice.

As this point to me anything is better than Wang and its something I guess gives the fans hope. Seeing the some of the guys looking to by NHL teams he seems to be better than most of them.

Its too early but I hope this has some legs

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
Milbury still claims that Wang wanted to sign a sumo wrestler to play net. He has said it on the air more than once. I hope this works out for the long suffering Islander fans.

I will say Wang was joking about the sumo wrestler. Milbury was involved in destroying the franchise as much as anyone. He is just trying to take heat off of himself. My favorites are when the other announcers criticize his trades and his reaction to them.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Don't blame Bettman for this one... Wang is the person that said the Islanders won't play at Nassau once the lease is up.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The Islanders have a strong history and they will come back if a competent management group comes to town and gets an arena built.

Wang/Snow/Milbury are without a doubt the biggest gong show the league has ever seen and the exact reason why that once proud franchise has failed. If Wang stopped holding out on his greedy land grab Lighthouse deal, put a decent GM in place and stopped meddling, the Islanders would be in a totally different boat.

Snow is a decent gm.Give him some money to spend.

In 3-4 yrs of being gm,I can't think of one Snow trade,that I have walked away from thinking 'man,that gm owned Snow'.

I was pissed over the Smyth trade only because he didn't asked Edmonton, for a short window to discuss an extension.If he had,maybe he'd have realized that keeping Smyth wasn't going to be just a matter of tossing a big check at him.

Last edited:

CanadaIsHockey

Apr 8, 2008
Laval, Qc. Canada
If this ever happens, and Charles Wang is finally gone, you will see the most amazing transformation of a franchise this league has ever seen. I am guaranteeing you that the Islanders would sell out the rest of their home games if they ever made this official.

I hate Charles Wang, i despise him, and if there's truly a god out there, he will give us one last chance to support this team. We need someone who cares about putting a winning product on the ice.

BEGGING the hockey gods to let this come true. No Islander fan would ever ask for more.

The Blackhawks say "Hi"

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009
Don't blame Bettman for this one... Wang is the person that said the Islanders won't play at Nassau once the lease is up.

You're right. It's the arena game. Bettman can't go against what an owner says or the owner will lose all their leverage. The same game was played successfully in Pittsburgh. "We would hate for the team to move, but if they don't get a new arena."

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
Where could they build a new arena on Long Island? On the same huge parking lot the current arena is?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
This is all i want for christmas...the guy is a republican so you know hell get what he wants...:sarcasm:

In all serious this would be a great uplift for the Isles and thier fans he is a brooklyn native and he is not vested in a "mega city" like wang is he would only want a state of the art arena and would most likley get it...

However sales of franchises dont happen over night...and I dont think WANGS EGO would let him look like a failure.....

Also Peltz has no ties to Snow and might end up hireing a good and real hockey stuff to run the organization....Right now wang and snow are the only 2 making all the decisions in all departments.....I say bring back BOTTS and bring back TROTS for player decvelopment and hire a real GM and a Hard nose Proven Head coach and we are on our way... But again the lease will run out before this happens IMO....

If Peltz is a "takeover artist", then would he really be willing to put up $100 - $200 million and more to pay for part of a new arena?

He's from Brooklyn, so would he not be interested in moving the team to the Barclay Center (opens in 2013) once the lease with Nassau is completed in 2015?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
He's from Brooklyn, so would he not be interested in moving the team to the Barclay Center (opens in 2013) once the lease with Nassau is completed in 2015?

seems like a logical thing to do provided he can make money by having the isles play there instead of their own arena

you get the nets/isles brands playing in the same digs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad