Nelson comments on his non response to Jack getting hit in the head

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He should’ve done something.

But I have such a problem with benching him for his lack of response. I really do. I despise selective application of “accountability”

Which fits Phil's coaching MO all year. There are core guys who make copioius mistakes who never, ever suffer any consequences and then there are the rest, who get rotated out on what seems like whim.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Looks like Nelson is getting traded now. Too bad because he was looking pretty good.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If Eichel just fell bent his knee on a perfectly legal check...thus freak accident...he didn’t see it and goes psycho and gets 5 10 game and 10 game suspension and in the 5 min PP Colorado scores 3 and win the game. Some of you would complain he was an Idiot to do that.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Read this:
This team has gone full charmin

And wanted to post this:
Used Charmin.

But Beerz beat me to it :thumbu:

If Eichel just fell bent his knee on a perfectly legal check...thus freak accident...he didn’t see it and goes psycho and gets 5 10 game and 10 game suspension and in the 5 min PP Colorado scores 3 and win the game. Some of you would complain he was an Idiot to do that.
I wouldn't. I would laud him for actually wanting to support his teammate, regardless of circumstance. Who on this team routinely gives a care for their sweater besides Jack, Sam, Bogo? How long before Brandon Montour wishes he was still coached by Randy Carlyle?

Reactions: Beerz

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Jack and Jeff have had their ass handed to them all year and there’s no response. However, Jack is a pretty big bitch himself. Can’t expect guys to stand up for you when you don’t stand up for anyone yourself.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Jack and Jeff have had their ass handed to them all year and there’s no response. However, Jack is a pretty big ***** himself. Can’t expect guys to stand up for you when you don’t stand up for anyone yourself.
You know what sounds smart, our franchise C breaking his hand not knowing how to fight and being out for months....this isn’t the 70s and 80s

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
You know what sounds smart, our franchise C breaking his hand not knowing how to fight and being out for months....this isn’t the 70s and 80s
I never said fight, he’s not vocal at all. Watch some other franchise Cs and when their guys are getting banged around they don’t just skate for the bench like Jack does.

Last edited:

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
This is all a reflection of coaching. Nelson's response (or lack thereof), or anyone else's for that matter to any episode like Jack's hit, Yandle's horse shit or other this year is symptomatic. It's not the issue. The issue is we have a coach who doesn't evoke or instill that toughness as a value in his players. When that changes, we'll see a group truly willing to stand up for each other and napalm hug some mofos.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
I never said fight, he’s not vocal at all. Watch some other franchise Cs and when their guys are getting banged around they don’t just skate for the bench like Jack does.
I misunderstood your point then. I guess I can see that to an extent. I think the vocal part comes with age

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I misunderstood your point then. I guess I can see that to an extent. I think the vocal part comes with age
I’m hoping so but what I’m saying is this team lacks grit from top to bottom. Sure guys like Risto and Bogosian have some to an extent. The loss of Beau hurts. I’d rather have him around than Casey Nelson, Hunwick or even Scandella. The forwards have no one outside an undersized Larsson. Teams know they can out physical this team until they break. Jack needs to show some leadership.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The team being soft is not on Housley. I'm sure Housley is soft because he has always has been soft. But the team was soft under Lindy Ruff when Lucic ran Miller. Lindy Ruff wasn't soft. The players are soft.
Its on Housley. Sorry, he is the coach. It is on him.

When the Lucic hit happened. It was put on Ruff too.

Coaches are the ones responsible for the on ice performance.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Its on Housley. Sorry, he is the coach. It is on him.

When the Lucic hit happened. It was put on Ruff too.

Coaches are the ones responsible for the on ice performance.
Phil Housley blows goats as a coach. So many real things to bitch about in regards to his garbage coaching. The players are soft. Botterill assembled the roster. Blaming the soft players for playing soft on Housley is such a stretch.

If that's what you want to do, that's cool, but I don't need to have a conversation about it.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Phil Housley blows goats as a coach. So many real things to ***** about in regards to his garbage coaching. The players are soft. Botterill assembled the roster. Blaming the soft players for playing soft on Housley is such a stretch.

If that's what you want to do, that's cool, but I don't need to have a conversation about it.
Players are soft? The coach decides what is done on the ice. Have you seen Housley ever send someone out to fight after a bad hit against a sabre player? NO.

The players are soft because the coach and GM has allowed a soft team.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Nelson has to get waived, traded for a cap dump, or have his contract terminated now because he didn't fight Zadorov and then said he didn't see what happened. Hard to decide which is worse. Either way, it's imperative now that the Sabres actively make themselves worse again for reasons that are *so* obviously apparent to esteemed hockey men, and men of great faith, that they need not - nay - CANNOT - even be expressed by human language. "Obviously, he had to go." *reporters all nod solemnly* Nothing more needs to be said. It is known and understood. Do not question it.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Players are soft? The coach decides what is done on the ice. Have you seen Housley ever send someone out to fight after a bad hit against a sabre player? NO.

The players are soft because the coach and GM has allowed a soft team.
Have you ever seen any coach send someone out to fight in the last 5 years? Doesn’t happen. Players take the initiative if the gm has assembled the right players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad