Nelson comments on his non response to Jack getting hit in the head

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
As much as I hate his reaction, I'm worried this is becoming a scapegoat issue for a truly awful season. I think/hope we'll see a different Casey the next time he is in the lineup.

Somehow I don't think him trying to turn himself in to Killer Carlson from Slap Shot will be a big help to his career.

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
His response was... Housley-esque.

So team plays like the coaches personality? I wonder how much that plays into it. I'm not really serious but I doubt he's firing up anybody in the locker room.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So team plays like the coaches personality? I wonder how much that plays into it. I'm not really serious but I doubt he's firing up anybody in the locker room.

His response reminded me of Phil the player - he never stood up for himself or anyone else on the ice once that I recall in his tenure as a Sabre. I have rarely been so pleased to see a player leave town as I was when they sent him to the Jets for Ducky. The Maguire-Probert incident really sealed it for me, still leaves a bad taste in my mouth 30 years later.

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
His response reminded me of Phil the player - he never stood up for himself or anyone else on the ice once that I recall in his tenure as a Sabre. I have rarely been so pleased to see a player leave town as I was when they sent him to the Jets for Ducky. The Maguire-Probert incident really sealed it for me, still leaves a bad taste in my mouth 30 years later.

Indeed. As I mentioned earlier it's amazing/amusing any of this pushback is coming from Phil Housley. I never understood why Housley wasn't at least a hack with his stick when he played to protect himself more.

I would love if this team had like 2 Brad May types to stick on a couple lines and provide some GRIT. I just don't think that type of player is very common any more.

I've told my friends over the last couple horrible seasons, that they should just say screw it and find 3-4 minor league lunatics to bring up and run around causing mayhem. It would be more entertaining than the crap they are providing on the ice anyway.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Meh, weak excuse... When you're on the ice you can hear your bench react, you turn around and see your captain on the ice without his helmet, you know what happened. I just don't think it's in his nature to go grab someone, it's not in a lot of these guys.

I like seeing Sam with more fire though, every element he adds to his game is just house money.

Reactions: lancaster14

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
The team being soft is not on Housley. I'm sure Housley is soft because he has always has been soft. But the team was soft under Lindy Ruff when Lucic ran Miller. Lindy Ruff wasn't soft. The players are soft.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Even Nelson says it was a head shot. Amazing how Zadorov didn't even get a hearing, clearly targeted his head and knew what he was doing when he ripped his helmet off as Eichel was going down.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He obviously knew something happened. When it's a guy like Zadorov come in swinging and ask questions later. It's the beginning of a meaningless game. Not the 3rd period in the playoffs. Who cares if you take a penalty

And yeah, Nelson and the rest of the team still had the rest of the game to respond. Instead they played the worst game of the season. I actually like Nelson as a player and fighting is obviously not his game. But holy **** this team is soft and the excuses never end. Players have excuses. Coach has excuses. GM has excuses

If you didn't see what actually happened, how dumb are you for swinging away and then looking up at the replay of Eichel tripping over a stick or something? In that split second, I don't expect someone to go ape if they don't know what happened. Making assumptions about who's on the ice and who's standing there is what makes people do stupid things. Afterward, knowing what actually happened, you can try to address it however the flying @#$% you want to. I would be someone to make somebody pay for their team's disrespectful play, but I would want to know I'm justified first.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
If you didn't see what actually happened, how dumb are you for swinging away and then looking up at the replay of Eichel tripping over a stick or something? In that split second, I don't expect someone to go ape if they don't know what happened. Making assumptions about who's on the ice and who's standing there is what makes people do stupid things. Afterward, knowing what actually happened, you can try to address it however the flying @#$% you want to. I would be someone to make somebody pay for their team's disrespectful play, but I would want to know I'm justified first.

You act like Zadorov doesn't have it coming to him. He isn't Tyler Ennis. Zadorov is a guy who plays on the edge and crosses it quite frequently. He can more than defend himself

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I don't blame him at all. It's dumb to simply turn around and see your guy on the ice, assume the worst and start swinging. If you see the replay there's time to take care of business before the game ends, in the best way you can, whether that's playing good hockey or throwing down.
+1

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
:D:laugh: Ok then...no problem, as long as you're not making up reasons I guess.
Yeah man, that's just it. You don't need a reason to fight Zadorov so if you might have reason that's more than a good enough reason.

This team doesn't need a reason to play mad at this point of the season. They suck

Reactions: brian_griffin

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
My point was that Nelson and anyone else didn't rally to his captain, regardless of the hit location. I can't think of any good team that their captain getting laid out doesn't at least result in vigorous face-washing and a scrum. The deeper issue is that they don't have any pride in one another and the erosion of camaraderie is evident every time most of the team turns a blind eye to one of their own getting punked.

Dave Semenko: "Anyone touches Wayne has to answer to me!"

(I gladly and joyfully accept (embrace!!) the label of neanderthal, dinosaur or whatever other epitaph non-violence types want to assign to me.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->