Nelson comments on his non response to Jack getting hit in the head

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Again, was he not right there along the wall with everyone else? I'll forgive the guy for not taking his stake off and trying to stab Zadorov with it.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I don't blame him at all. It's dumb to simply turn around and see your guy on the ice, assume the worst and start swinging. If you see the replay there's time to take care of business before the game ends, in the best way you can, whether that's playing good hockey or throwing down.
It's dumb when its Zadorov standing there? Most likely not.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Many of us questioned the lack of toughness heading into the season. Next season Botts needs to figure out a middle ground between a guy like Nolan and doing nothing at all.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Again, was he not right there along the wall with everyone else? I'll forgive the guy for not taking his stake off and trying to stab Zadorov with it.
He got in there but when your franchise player gets hit in the head it should be an instant response.

No hesitation, gloves off and stand up for Jack. Especially when you’re an up and down guy making less than a mill a year.

Back in the 90’s Nelson gets sent down the next day. That’s why he couldn’t sleep.

Reactions: Chainshot

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
He got in there but when your franchise player gets hit in the head it should be an instant response.

No hesitation, gloves off and stand up for Jack. Especially when you’re an up and down guy making less than a mill a year.

Back in the 90’s Nelson gets sent down the next day. That’s why he couldn’t sleep.

Did you miss reading what he said about not seeing him get hit in the head?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

If that's the case I'm scratching Bogo and Scandella for not dropping the gloves latter. Or do only tweeners pay the price?

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
Deeper issue: Your captain is laid out, why does the response have to be if the hit was in the head or not? Rally, even if in the wrong, don't cower.

Deeper Issue is a good way of phrasing it.

The current game where a fight seems to happen on every clean hit, and nothing happens on cheap shots seems very strange.

I have no idea how you 'fix' any of it as a league wide 'issue', Bogo and anybody else had all game to respond if they felt like it.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
If that's the case I'm scratching Bogo and Scandella for not dropping the gloves latter. Or do only tweeners pay the price?
On this team only the tweeners pay the price. That seems pretty evident.

I didn’t like Scandellas response either but that wasn’t the question.

Reinhart from what i saw was the only one who had the response I wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: sabremike

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Yeah, it's dumb.

He obviously knew something happened. When it's a guy like Zadorov come in swinging and ask questions later. It's the beginning of a meaningless game. Not the 3rd period in the playoffs. Who cares if you take a penalty

And yeah, Nelson and the rest of the team still had the rest of the game to respond. Instead they played the worst game of the season. I actually like Nelson as a player and fighting is obviously not his game. But holy f*** this team is soft and the excuses never end. Players have excuses. Coach has excuses. GM has excuses

Reactions: sabremike

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
He made an unattackable response to the situation. Good on him (or his agent) who came up with it, whether it was true or not.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Deeper issue: Your captain is laid out, why does the response have to be if the hit was in the head or not? Rally, even if in the wrong, don't cower.
I think this is a Phil thing and something I’ve noticed in newer coaches in recent years and more so at the junior level.

He’d prefer we get a PP(or at least the chance for one) instead of retaliating.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Deeper Issue is a good way of phrasing it.

The current game where a fight seems to happen on every clean hit, and nothing happens on cheap shots seems very strange.

I have no idea how you 'fix' any of it as a league wide 'issue', Bogo and anybody else had all game to respond if they felt like it.

My point was that Nelson and anyone else didn't rally to his captain, regardless of the hit location. I can't think of any good team that their captain getting laid out doesn't at least result in vigorous face-washing and a scrum. The deeper issue is that they don't have any pride in one another and the erosion of camaraderie is evident every time most of the team turns a blind eye to one of their own getting punked.

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
Did you miss the post I quoted?

You specifically mentioned him getting hit in the head. The post you quoted mentioned stabbing Zads with a skate.

So any time a teammate appears on the ice, a play of any ilk must immediately run over and jump the closest opposite player?

I still find it highly amusing the Phil 'hit him with your purse' Housley is upset about the reaction.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Baccus

Feb 18, 2014
My point was that Nelson and anyone else didn't rally to his captain, regardless of the hit location. I can't think of any good team that their captain getting laid out doesn't at least result in vigorous face-washing and a scrum. The deeper issue is that they don't have any pride in one another and the erosion of camaraderie is evident every time most of the team turns a blind eye to one of their own getting punked.

I can't disagree on the overall camaraderie issue. But Zads did get taken down and face washed/scrummed, it just wasn't by Nelson.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
You specifically mentioned him getting hit in the head. The post you quoted mentioned stabbing Zads with a skate.

So any time a teammate appears on the ice, a play of any ilk must immediately run over and jump the closest opposite player?

I still find it highly amusing the Phil 'hit him with your purse' Housley is upset about the reaction.
The post I quoted was defending Nelson because he was in the scrum.
I was explaining that yes while he was eventually in the scrum, as the closest guy, his response should’ve been more immediate. Instead of gradually skating over and grabbing a couple guys.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad