Neil vs Downie

Jackie Treehorn

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, go ahead and cheer Neil as he was leading downie with his elbow into the boards then continued to cheap shot him when he was on the ice. Well done sir. :handclap: :shakehead

Yeah, how about Lightning fans not complaining about Downie getting a cheapshot.
Well done sir:handclap::shakehead

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
We defend him because he isnt the same player.

Yes he is. See: Downie vs. Mitchell for a vintage Downie meltdown from this season.

He plays with an edge, but in the NHL with the Lightning he hasnt been suspended.

Worded conveniently to avoid mentioning a 20 game suspension Downie was given while playing with Tampa's AHL affiliate for attacking a ref.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bWlPg3kg3Y

And lightning fans are wondering why all the sens fans like to remind everyone how much we hate steve downie. He has a history against us, and most every team in the league. Why are so many people defending him?

edit: link needs to be loaded in another window for some reason.

I would bet money that Neil is hated by more players and fans in the league than Downie. Downie has done one dirty thing to one team in this league. Neil does dirty things to about every team every night.

As for the fight. You can count how many shots each player actually landed. It was about 5 or 6 for Downie and 3-4 for Neil. At worst its a draw and at best its a Downie win. As for what Downie yelled at the end, I still dont hear the "im done" you Sens fans seem to think he said but I know Downie is always screaming at the linesman to stay away when a fight goes on for a bit so I feel thats what he was actually saying there.

Then of course Neil being the idiot he is wont let go of Downies jersey when the Linesman actually come in and break it up and drags Downie down by it.

Neil is a joke. He has no hockey talent in his body whatsoever. The only time he does anything worth while is because he is a big body in front of the net and he bangs home garbage. He always goes after smaller players, sure he gets stuck fighting larger ones from time to time but he is always instigating with smaller players. Like he was trying to do with Tyrell in the past few games when Downie was out.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Yes he is. See: Downie vs. Mitchell for a vintage Downie meltdown from this season.

Worded conveniently to avoid mentioning a 20 game suspension Downie was given while playing with Tampa's AHL affiliate for attacking a ref.

That was a chippy game both ways. Downie is always going to be the guy on our team that walks the line. Just as Johnson was taking liberties with Lightning players.

And yes because he wasnt surrounded by Tocc and the coaching staff that helped cool off his game. So its a completely different situation. He wasnt the same player at that stage and IMO had he stayed in the NHL all season he wouldnt have been suspended in the NHL.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Downies punches weren't even turning Neils head. They were obviously very weak shots. Neil got the better shots in, so if anything he won. More like a tie though. I'm a habs fan, so the "homer" defense isn't going to work.

Neither of the shots that were "landing" we doing much damage from either side. Downie "landed" more of those however.

IMO it was a draw. I could see someone saying Downie won by a slight edge because he landed a couple more, but how anyone but a homer Sens fan can say that Neil won that fight at all is beyond me.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I would bet money that Neil is hated by more players and fans in the league than Downie. Downie has done one dirty thing to one team in this league. Neil does dirty things to about every team every night.

ill take that bet, why dont you make a poll.
Neil plays hard, not dirty. he's about as honest a hard nosed player there is in the NHL - he doesnt cheap shot guys, eases up if if there in a vulnerable spots on the ice.
You seem to have conveniently forgotten Downie going beserk on a ref and being nailed with a huge suspension while playing for your farm team.
you're full of crap.

As for the fight. You can count how many shots each player actually landed. It was about 5 or 6 for Downie and 3-4 for Neil. At worst its a draw and at best its a Downie win. As for what Downie yelled at the end, I still dont hear the "im done" you Sens fans seem to think he said but I know Downie is always screaming at the linesman to stay away when a fight goes on for a bit so I feel thats what he was actually saying there.

if you cant hear it, its because you choose not to, its clear as day.

Then of course Neil being the idiot he is wont let go of Downies jersey when the Linesman actually come in and break it up and drags Downie down by it.

probably because Neil still wanted to break his face since he almost killed Dean Mac.
you think Neil forgets that crap?

Neil is a joke. He has no hockey talent in his body whatsoever. The only time he does anything worth while is because he is a big body in front of the net and he bangs home garbage. He always goes after smaller players, sure he gets stuck fighting larger ones from time to time but he is always instigating with smaller players. Like he was trying to do with Tyrell in the past few games when Downie was out.

why dont you go check his fight card since you clearly have ZERO idea of what you are talking about. Neil fights anyone, and fights them mainly for the right reasons.
No hockey talent and a joke? His 600+ games 160+ points and 4 10+ goal seasons in the NHL laugh at you and your ignorance.

benr

Mar 7, 2011

This post is a joke. You and Tampa obviously hate Neil but this is so off base. Neil doesnt go after smaller players, he goes after anyone and everyone without discrimination which is what makes him so effective. There are few players who bring the kind of game Neil does. People act like Neil is a heavyweight but hes what, 6'1 210lbs?

Neil is probably the cleanest most respectful player who plays this type of game. Never been suspended always has the elbows tucked. Doesnt board people, if someone starts to fall into the boards he usually catches them and holds them up.

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
Neither of the shots that were "landing" we doing much damage from either side. Downie "landed" more of those however.

IMO it was a draw. I could see someone saying Downie won by a slight edge because he landed a couple more, but how anyone but a homer Sens fan can say that Neil won that fight at all is beyond me.

First of all, a landed punch does nothing if it has nothing behind it. Second, both fighters landed roughly the same amount of punches. I agree, it was a very close fight, but I give the edge to Neil. He threw harder punches, nearly catching him with a big uppercut, and threw him down to the ice at the end (after getting the final 2 shots in). Neils lefts were harder shots than Downies rights. IF I had to pick a side, Neil gets the win by a hair.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Probably the best, or at least one of the best, chins in the league. Check out his fight with Orr, takes numerous haymakers from one of the heaviest punchers in the league like nothing.

Sometimes I think Neil tries to take as many punches as possible to tire his opponent out, then try to win the fight at the end.

Any other player would have bailed out, or cried mommy to the linesmen. Neil took Brashear's jackhammer like a champ and went for the takedown at the end.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
First of all, a landed punch does nothing if it has nothing behind it. Second, both fighters landed roughly the same amount of punches. I agree, it was a very close fight, but I give the edge to Neil. He threw harder punches, nearly catching him with a big uppercut, and threw him down to the ice at the end (after getting the final 2 shots in). Neils lefts were harder shots than Downies rights. IF I had to pick a side, Neil gets the win by a hair.

Just out of curiousity. How do you know whos punches were harder? You cant exactly quantify that if youre not on the receiving end of them now can you.

benr

Mar 7, 2011
Probably the best, or at least one of the best, chins in the league. Check out his fight with Orr, takes numerous haymakers from one of the heaviest punchers in the league like nothing.

Hes like our Domi in that hes not that big, but hes got a cement head that lets him go with anybody, plus hes not a bad player and a leader on the team. Hes of course 1000 times less of a ********* on the ice though.

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
Just out of curiousity. How do you know whos punches were harder? You cant exactly quantify that if youre not on the receiving end of them now can you.

It doesn't take a genius to distinguish between a hard and soft punch visually. The velocity of someones hand/arm and the type of follow through is a good indication of how hard a punch is thrown. Both Boxing and MMA judges determine the strength of certain strikes in the ring/octagon without actually stepping in front of one and experiencing it themselves. If you can't tell the difference between a hard or weak punch, then you shouldn't be judging this fight.

Last edited:

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Sometimes I think Neil tries to take as many punches as possible to tire his opponent out, then try to win the fight at the end.

Ruutu is really good at this too. It's not a bad strategy if you can do it, and Ruutu certainly can, and Neil definitely has the chin and willingness too.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
It doesn't take a genious to distinguish between a hard and soft punch visually. The velocity of someones hand/arm and the type of follow through is a good indication of how hard a punch is thrown. If you can't tell the difference between a hard or weak punch, then you shouldn't be judging this fight.

Ah irony. I love it.

As for the rest of your statement. It really doesnt matter how hard a punch is to be honest. Its about where it lands and what it is landing on. As well as the technique of the punch. You could punch harder than the next guy but if you dont make enough contact or contact in the right location it doesnt mean anything.

As I said before, none of the punches from either player were really landing square. Both had some contact but neither were doing much damage if any. Which is why my point that Downie made more contact than Neil, in this fight, gives him an edge if there were one to give. I would say though that other than Sens fans, this one would be rated a Draw.

But hey its obvious Sens fans are grasping onto something to be proud of from their team. I dont blame them I know how it is. So you guys can have this one and proclaim your victory over the oh so mighty Downie.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJwaCVANoTk
Glad this guy is your "tough guy" and Alternate captain. Real leader.
Sens fans keep thinking of adjectives to use against Downie while we get ready for the PO's and you guys are scouting the Memorial Cup.

Dingman is an idiot, nobody fights in the playoffs. "Tough guy" unwriten rules go out the window in the playoffs, he should know that.

Sens got a 5-min PP, and won the game because of this.

ps. Find me another occasion of Neil turtleing, I dare ya, cause you wont find one.

benr

Mar 7, 2011
Dingman is an idiot, nobody fights in the playoffs. "Tough guy" unwriten rules go out the window in the playoffs, he should know that.

Sens got a 5-min PP, and won the game because of this.

Well, thats not entirely true...

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It does happen, but it usually stems from a play.

The "pre-determined" show fights are the ones that don't (or very rarely) happen in the playoffs.

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
Ah irony. I love it.

As for the rest of your statement. It really doesnt matter how hard a punch is to be honest. Its about where it lands and what it is landing on. As well as the technique of the punch. You could punch harder than the next guy but if you dont make enough contact or contact in the right location it doesnt mean anything.

As I said before, none of the punches from either player were really landing square. Both had some contact but neither were doing much damage if any. Which is why my point that Downie made more contact than Neil, in this fight, gives him an edge if there were one to give. I would say though that other than Sens fans, this one would be rated a Draw.

But hey its obvious Sens fans are grasping onto something to be proud of from their team. I dont blame them I know how it is. So you guys can have this one and proclaim your victory over the oh so mighty Downie.

This made me laugh.

You say that it doesn't matter how hard a punch is, the only thing matters is that it lands on the right spot. While punch accuracy is very important, it's not like Downie was much more accurate than Neil. Also, to take your approach, one could say whats the point of landing a punch if it has no strength behind it? There are only two reasons for this, to set up a combo or get points. Since there are neither in NHL hockey fights I don't see how this is the determining factor. Downie could have hit Neil 20 times and Neil would still be standing because they were weak shots. Some of the best strikers in the world get it done with heavy hands and low punch accuracy.

This fight was very close, but if I HAD to pick a side Neil wins because he was the more dangerous of the two fighters, threw/landed the harder punches and handled him at the end of the fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad