Negativity Thread

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
With the very real possibility of the season being effectively over in the next 5-10 games, I figured we could use a dedicated place to sound off rather than airing grievances in all threads. As Blues fans we are used to this franchise blowing it at every opportunity they get but this season seems particularly depressing because it seemed so many pieces were in place. Instead, no one can defend, no one can convert prime scoring opportunities, the coaching staff is unwilling or unable to make seemingly obvious adjustments, and the team just overall stinks. I’m fully expecting them to lose the next two games -possibly in very ugly fashion- and perhaps coming out of October with one win to their name. Fun times! So have at it, hopefully this thread can provide some catharsis.

Reactions: Bendak

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Thinking out loud here. How bad of a start is unrecoverable? We aren't there yet, but I was curious. The past 5 years, the last Western Conference Wild Card had 95 points or less every year but one. In 2014-15, Wpg had 99, but 95 with tie breakers would have still got them in. So let's say 95 gets you in the playoffs (it varies based on # of OT games and how much parity there is). That is a point capture rate of just shy of 58%. We are at at a point capture rate of 40%, so really not too far off. To hit 95 points we need 91 more points in 77 more games or a point capture rate of 59%. Only 1 percent better or a 97 point pace, which is completely doable.

Below is a chart of # of games played at out current pace, and what point capture we'd need to still hit 95 points and what that translates to for an 82 game season"

# games
@ 40% PC
Pts Left
For 95
Pt Capture
Needed
82 gm
Pace (Rnd up)
549159.09%97
649159.87%99
759060.00%99
868960.14%99
978860.27%99
1088760.42%100
13108561.59%102
15128361.94%102
20167963.71%105
25207565.79%108
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So we can keep this up for about 10 games. Then things start to get difficult to recover.Not that I want to see it go that long. But in the grand scheme, a 100 point pace shouldn't be out of reach for this team. By 15 games, if we are still knocking around 40% point capture, we have to make a change.

For reference here is the good work @Majorityof1 did a couple of days ago. That’s all the positivity that’s allowed ITT!

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
If Blues trend this way to to game 12 and Yeo gets canned. Blues will need to get 94-96 points out of the remaining 70 games to have a shot at a playoff spot. If someone from the outside is brought in there will no doubt be an adjustment period so possibly more losses at first than wins. Unless someone like Tippett can pull a Hitch and go 43-15-11, I see the Blues in the same spot at last off-season. Outside the top 10 pre-lottery yet no playoff games to show for. FML.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
We’ve got road games at Toronto and Winnipeg coming up. If these next two games go the way we think they are going to go, I could really see Yeo getting fired.

1-5-2 start with this roster? Are you kidding me?

After Winnipeg we come home and have two days off before Columbus. That’s a decent time to make a coaching change.

You could argue, though, that after the Chicago game on Saturday is better. We’ve got 4 days off after that. Yeo is absolutely done if things don’t turn around by next Saturday.

I hope for the best! But at this point that may be a coaching change.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
tenor.gif

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
We’ve got road games at Toronto and Winnipeg coming up. If these next two games go the way we think they are going to go, I could really see Yeo getting fired.

1-5-2 start with this roster? Are you kidding me?

After Winnipeg we come home and have two days off before Columbus. That’s a decent time to make a coaching change.

You could argue, though, that after the Chicago game on Saturday is better. We’ve got 4 days off after that. Yeo is absolutely done if things don’t turn around by next Saturday.

I hope for the best! But at this point that may be a coaching change.
I'm thinking after Chicago if we are still struggling (<3-4 points in those 4 games), he is gone.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If the Blues only win 1 game out of the next 4 (which is very likely), they'll sit at 2-6-2, you'll see a new coach for the Vegas game. They'd be on pace for less than 50 points in a season, a record for the club if I recall. If they split the next four games, and sit at 3-5-2, they Yeo probably is given more time unfortunately as they'll point at the schedule as a bias.

Mar 6, 2012
The hope was to try and make this a purely “whining” thread and keep the others more on topic.

On topic? Is there a Blues topic of discussion that shouldn't rightfully include whining right now?

Whining is on 100% topic.

Blues fans have suffered for long enough and in enough ways. It's time for something good to happen... and who the **** am I kidding, NOTHING good ever happens for this team or fans of this team. They just find new and creative ways to disappoint us.

I have to admit that this years annual kick in the nuts is coming in a pretty novel and unexpected form.

Being a Blues fan sucks. This is a really hard team to generate enthusiasm and hope for year after year. They make it really hard. Their very identity is miserable failure. That's the one string holding them together throughout their history. Miserable failure, miserable treatment of a ridiculously loyal fanbase considering the on ice product year after year.

This city loves this team and I have no idea why. Why do I care about any of this? Why do I let it effect me? Year after year this team just sticks a knife in my guts and twists it and I keep coming back for more because I'm a *****ing idiot.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You can make a case that the Blues don't have an "easy" game until freakin November 28th against Detroit. Man their schedule is tough coming up, they're playing all good teams.

I don't see Yeo lasting long.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You can make a case that the Blues don't have an "easy" game until freakin November 28th against Detroit. Man their schedule is tough coming up, they're playing all good teams.

I don't see Yeo lasting long.
You can make a case that right now, the Blues are the team that all the other teams are circling on their calendars as an easy win. They are the "easy" game. If we start seeing backup goalies starting against the Blues, the league is sending a subtle message to the fan base here.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You can make a case that right now, the Blues are the team that all the other teams are circling on their calendars as an easy win. They are the "easy" game. If we start seeing backup goalies starting against the Blues, the league is sending a subtle message to the fan base here.

There's no such thing as an easy game if this is what the team really is.
You both missed the point.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
After 30+ years of following this team I normally can shift anger or dissapointment towards humor. Just laugh and take what entertainment you can from watching a dumpster fire fall off a cliff. Recently I've taken to laughing hilariously through Yeo's post game pressers. Another cathartic form of therapy is simply watching my fellow posters here lose their minds.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
Haven't posted here in a long while, but do we really think Yeo gets shitcanned? This Team has a bad history of trying to make fetch happen IMHO.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Haven't posted here in a long while, but do we really think Yeo gets ****canned?

Absolutely. Armstrong has fired both Payne and Hitchcock midseason. He fired Payne after just a 6-7 start.

The expectations for this team were massive.

The pressure on Armstrong is building. He put this losing squad together. His job is on the line too.

There will be a coaching change very soon if things don't turn around. 4 more games at max if they remain this bad. I just hope they don't tread water at 1-1-2 or 2-2 while playing poor fundamentally. Either right the ship and get wins or lose spectacularly and bring in a new coach.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Haven't posted here in a long while, but do we really think Yeo gets ****canned? This Team has a bad history of trying to make fetch happen IMHO.
If Yeo really does get fired, I would expect Armstrong to give him warning with some specific measures that need to be better to avoid it. Maybe we’ll read that in Yeo’s demeanor after this happens.

I’m not convinced an interim coach would turn things around. And with Armstrong ‘s history, I think Tippetts is the favorite as a successor.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
If Yeo really does get fired, I would expect Armstrong to give him warning with some specific measures that need to be better to avoid it. Maybe we’ll read that in Yeo’s demeanor after this happens.

I’m not convinced an interim coach would turn things around. And with Armstrong ‘s history, I think Tippetts is the favorite as a successor.
I would not be shocked if Yeo has already been called to the principal's office for his stern lecture. His post game demeanor reflects a bit of that. Plus he isn't stupid, he knows that every head coach is hired to be fired. It is a results job. Comes with the territory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad