Boston Herald Neely see’s element of opportunity

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Krejci's contract is not an issue, it's failing to develop a top 6 center in over a decade. Krejci's contract is in the ballpark of where he should be paid and would likely waive if he knew he wasn't wanted here, but we can't even fill 3rd line C effectively right now and we need Krejci on this team even if he is no longer at the top of his game. Krejci is fine but we need better center depth. Hopefully one of the Providence guys gets there before the season is over.

Boston had Seguin and traded him for ultimately nothing. The organization had a glorious opportunity to draft a franchise center in 2015 but, for whatever reason, chose not to. The wounds in this regard are self-inflicted.

Reactions: Baddkarma

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Neely hit the mark on many things

The 2015 draft has to be one of those failed opportunities that can't happen again also. When a player that should have been picked 5 spots ago, is waiting to fall on your lap.... you pick that player ... especially with one of your 3 picks!

Same thing happened with McAvoy, Pasta, Vaaka

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Krejci's contract is not an issue, it's failing to develop a top 6 center in over a decade. Krejci's contract is in the ballpark of where he should be paid and would likely waive if he knew he wasn't wanted here, but we can't even fill 3rd line C effectively right now and we need Krejci on this team even if he is no longer at the top of his game. Krejci is fine but we need better center depth. Hopefully one of the Providence guys gets there before the season is over.

Top line centers are really, really, really tough to find. Overwhelming majority of elite centers in today's NHL are top-10ish picks. 2015 draft posed unique opportunity to pick one, but here we are.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Just like the NFL, half the teams in question will run into injury decimation and not be a real factor.

It’s fun to micro analyze it all, but the season almost always ruins the equation.

The Bruins will have a chip and a chair. Hopefully they’ll both, find chemistry and stay healthy.

As I’ve said many times before, I’m happy DS has committed to seeing what he has up until the deadline. It’s a very talented group of kids to evaluate. Go from there.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Boston had Seguin and traded him for ultimately nothing. The organization had a glorious opportunity to draft a franchise center in 2015 but, for whatever reason, chose not to. The wounds in this regard are self-inflicted.
Sweeney has to make a trade. He can't possibly believe that kuraly is our third line center come playoff time. We will get roasted if we play caps pens or leafs. I bet he will find a winger for David and 3 c. He knows this.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Neely hit the mark on many things

The 2015 draft has to be one of those failed opportunities that can't happen again also. When a player that should have been picked 5 spots ago, is waiting to fall on your lap.... you pick that player ... especially with one of your 3 picks!

Same thing happened with McAvoy, Pasta, Vaaka

This is revisionist history.

McAvoy:

2016 NHL Draft Rankings

Pasta:

2014 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

UV:

2017 NHL Draft Rankings

McAvoy was rated 6th by Central Scouting, and 10-12 by a couple of others, but he was also rated in the low-mid 20’s by just as many other scouting services.

Pasta was hurt in his draft year, but it dropped his ratings with almost every Scouting outlet. His high was 12, but the majority of the rankings had him right around where he was drafted.

Vaakanainen was actually considered a reach by the majority of draft people. He was rated as high as 12th by one service, but he was also in the bottom 5 of the first round on others, and was not even considered a first round pick by some.

It is what is, something we can continue to cry about, but really spilled milk at this point.

Reactions: northeastern

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
JFK, Frederic, Studnicka

The main 3 drafted by Sweeney and all played center this latest preseason.
Donato, Heinen, Czarnik, Spooner, Seguin. All natural centers, but not here.

They get written off at the position before they have much chance to learn their craft.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I’m lazy only because I don’t feel like breaking down the Tampa, Boston, and Toronto farm system and Cap present and projected which I could

I went to recent games on Detroit, Washington, and less on Philadelphia and only 1 player on all the teams did I not know about the prospects AHL or other and that was Ehn on Detroit and now I could write a paper on him

Off the top of my head I could list the top 10-15 prospects of every team in our division- probably because I play in a hockey SIM

Check back in 3 years on the how the Bruins are losing the whatever to Toronto or Tampa or Washington or Pittsburgh
Boston will still be losing to Washington. You can’t convince me otherwise.

In 10 years when Holtby and his damn water bottle finally leaves the league I’ll have hope again.

To this day it infuriates me that no one has swatted that thing out of his hands into the rafters. Just once. You’re losing 5-1 again. Please punt that thing off the scoreboard...

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The 2019 draft is all about centers. At least a few highly skilled C's will be available when the Bruins draft. There will also be a ton of hidden gems peppered throughout at the mid and late rounds.

It should be a big draft for the B's if they believe they can draft the next Bergeron.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Donato, Heinen, Czarnik, Spooner, Seguin. All natural centers, but not here.

They get written off at the position before they have much chance to learn their craft.

Donato played wing at Harvard before he moved to C last year (rumor was it was at the B’s request).

Heinen played all three F positions at Denver.

Czarnik was signed not drafted (so it’s not like they wasted some high pick) and during the preseason he was playing Wing for the Flames.

So, just Spooner?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Donato played wing at Harvard before he moved to C last year (rumor was it was at the B’s request).

Heinen played all three F positions at Denver.

Czarnik was signed not drafted (so it’s not like they wasted some high pick) and during the preseason he was playing Wing for the Flames.

So, just Spooner?
If you're versatile you can't be a center in the NHL?

Donato thinks he's a center, they think he's a liability there, let him go to Providence and work on it.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
He's the only NHL player since WWII to score two overtime goals in the same playoff game.

Kuraly is a really solid 3-4C who plays with a lot of grit and enough skill to make things happen. He's a solid part of this team.

Kuraly is a (good) fourth-line center and nothing more. Placing him on the third line is merely setting him up to fail.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This is revisionist history.

McAvoy:

2016 NHL Draft Rankings

Pasta:

2014 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

UV:

2017 NHL Draft Rankings

McAvoy was rated 6th by Central Scouting, and 10-12 by a couple of others, but he was also rated in the low-mid 20’s by just as many other scouting services.

Pasta was hurt in his draft year, but it dropped his ratings with almost every Scouting outlet. His high was 12, but the majority of the rankings had him right around where he was drafted.

Vaakanainen was actually considered a reach by the majority of draft people. He was rated as high as 12th by one service, but he was also in the bottom 5 of the first round on others, and was not even considered a first round pick by some.

It is what is, something we can continue to cry about, but really spilled milk at this point.

The scout that had Vaaka at 12 is a smart scout then !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad