Boston Herald Neely see’s element of opportunity

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
"But as the B’s still search for a third line center and hope they have their top-six right wing, it’s hard not to look back on that 2015 draft and think it was missed opportunity."

Ain't that the truth.

Oh, and it's "sees". ;)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Neely puts the draft decision emphasis on the scouts it seems.

It’s simple for me. ECF finals the next two seasons and a cup win in the next three years or they didn’t do a good enough job. Two or three rounds won the next three seasons doesn’t cut it.

I do think the future is bright though and they will still be in the Cup mix when Chara, Bergeron and Krejci are no longer here

Reactions: Strafer

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Typically, I am not a 20/20 hindsight guy with draft picks. All teams “miss” guys that end up being stars.

Barisal is different for me since he was such a consensus pick and they had three to use at that time. Credible rumors say they didn’t like his attitude during the pre-draft interview. Fine, they had their reasons.

But they have seemingly done very well sticking to their process and using their own ranking regardless of consensus. It’s very encouraging and I hope they can continue to succeed with it. Retain the good scouts and continue to hire more. You have to respect the organization’s willingness to spend in this area.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
I think we have our 3rd line center. His initials are DK.

Mngt seriously needs to look at who can take some of Bergy's minutes as he may be our biggest question mark going forward . . .given the youth at Center in our Division. Bergy's in Cooperstown, has his jersey in the rafters, and the Selke should be named the Bergie. However, again, look at the competition in the Division.

Now when i say question mark, I mean being THE shutdown Center night in and night out, while being on THE scoring line, while being THE PP and PK guy. Tall order.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think we have our 3rd line center. His initials are DK.

Mngt seriously needs to look at who can take some of Bergy's minutes as he may be our biggest question mark going forward . . .given the youth at Center in our Division. Bergy's in Cooperstown, has his jersey in the rafters, and the Selke should be named the Bergie. However, again, look at the competition in the Division.

Now when i say question mark, I mean being THE shutdown Center night in and night out, while being on THE scoring line, while being THE PP and PK guy. Tall order.

Would be nice if DK could step up again and be that 1A guy. I just don’t see it. The pace is much faster and he doesn’t being the effort all the time.

If Backes was able to play center he used to be a tenacious PK and would maybe be able to take 1st PK duties over to give Bergeron some down time

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Would be nice if DK could step up again and be that 1A guy. I just don’t see it. The pace is much faster and he doesn’t being the effort all the time.

If Backes was able to play center he used to be a tenacious PK and would maybe be able to take 1st PK duties over to give Bergeron some down time

Great post!

This is the real issue the Bruins are dealing with. Im not trying to go over old scores but Chia's legacy again of a bad contract for a really long period of time haunts the Bruins. The money is not the real issue, the NMC/NTC is the issue as well as Krecji's decline.

The Bruins are slowly losing the talent battle in the Atlantic division and this could be the year it catches up them especially with the mileage on Bergeron starting climb.

Reactions: BBruins and Strafer

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Great post!

This is the real issue the Bruins are dealing with. Im not trying to go over old scores but Chia's legacy again of a bad contract for a really long period of time haunts the Bruins. The money is not the real issue, the NMC/NTC is the issue as well as Krecji's decline.

The Bruins are slowly losing the talent battle in the Atlantic division and this could be the year it catches up them especially with the mileage on Bergeron starting climb.
Hilarious

Losing talent battle

Okay

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Great post!

Krejci's contract is not an issue, it's failing to develop a top 6 center in over a decade. Krejci's contract is in the ballpark of where he should be paid and would likely waive if he knew he wasn't wanted here, but we can't even fill 3rd line C effectively right now and we need Krejci on this team even if he is no longer at the top of his game. Krejci is fine but we need better center depth. Hopefully one of the Providence guys gets there before the season is over.

Reactions: Skelen

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Hilarious

Losing talent battle

Okay

I think it is safe to say that the Bruins have fallen behind Tampa, the asswhoopin' in the playoffs proved this, and likely Toronto with addition of Tavares in terms of pivot and wing depth in the Atlantic. Toronto could not claim that last year of course.

On top of that Krejci isn't getting any better and Bergeron is coming off an injury.

Reinforcements may be on the way in the form of Senyshyn, Vaak, Lauko, Frederick, and others but right now the Bruins seem to be falling behind a bit. That is all I was referencing.

Reactions: TCB and Estlin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think it is safe to say that the Bruins have fallen behind Tampa, the asswhoopin' in the playoffs proved this, and likely Toronto with addition of Tavares in terms of pivot and wing depth in the Atlantic. Toronto could not claim that last year of course.

On top of that Krejci isn't getting any better and Bergeron is coming off an injury.

Reinforcements may be on the way in the form of Senyshyn, Vaak, Lauko, Frederick, and others but right now the Bruins seem to be falling behind a bit. That is all I was referencing.
I just disagreeing with every point you made that was all I was getting at

No worries

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Krejci's contract is not an issue, it's failing to develop a top 6 center in over a decade. Krejci's contract is in the ballpark of where he should be paid and would likely waive if he knew he wasn't wanted here, but we can't even fill 3rd line C effectively right now and we need Krejci on this team even if he is no longer at the top of his game. Krejci is fine but we need better center depth. Hopefully one of the Providence guys gets there before the season is over.

Um, the Bruins had a franchise center under cost control and they traded him for basically nothing. As far as Krejci, he is just slowing down and his NTC is a giant pain in the butt. Center depth is an issue but I think cap management is a bigger issue. The Backes contract comes to mind and those kinds of deals constrict the bottom six and demand the team dress players on ELC or vet mins...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lazy, but ok I guess. I'm sure that Bruins have nothing to worry about. I feel better already!
I’m lazy only because I don’t feel like breaking down the Tampa, Boston, and Toronto farm system and Cap present and projected which I could

I went to recent games on Detroit, Washington, and less on Philadelphia and only 1 player on all the teams did I not know about the prospects AHL or other and that was Ehn on Detroit and now I could write a paper on him

Off the top of my head I could list the top 10-15 prospects of every team in our division- probably because I play in a hockey SIM

Check back in 3 years on the how the Bruins are losing the whatever to Toronto or Tampa or Washington or Pittsburgh

Reactions: Rumpy

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Neely puts the draft decision emphasis on the scouts it seems.

It’s simple for me. ECF finals the next two seasons and a cup win in the next three years or they didn’t do a good enough job. Two or three rounds won the next three seasons doesn’t cut it.

I do think the future is bright though and they will still be in the Cup mix when Chara, Bergeron and Krejci are no longer here

With the way the divisions/ playoffs are set up, I don’t think it’s a fair expectation the same way it used to be when they went to the finals twice in 3 years

You can be a great team but just be beaten in the second round by a team that’s that much better. A lot of ecf like matchups are happening now in the 2nd round

But if they don’t put up a fight against a better team and take them to 7 games at least then that I will consider a missed opportunity and not moving forward enough

In other words, no losses in 5 games to teams like Tampa

They also need to be wary of Toronto. They draw the leafs again in the first round and it very well could be them taking a big step back via losing to them.

I want to see the team get stronger on the puck and along the boards, I might even be more concerned with that progress rather than just pure wins and losses in the playoffs. I need to see that tied with the skill or this team won’t have sustained success

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
The melodramatic posts on this forum always give me a chuckle.

The Bruins have a talented lineup. A lot of youngsters coming up and one of the deepest defensive lineups in the league. A lot has to go rigjt for them to win the cup....but that can be said of any team.

And for all the fear of the Lightning and Leafs....neither made the Cup Finals last year. Either team can be bested in a seven game series.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
The melodramatic posts on this forum always give me a chuckle.

The Bruins have a talented lineup. A lot of youngsters coming up and one of the deepest defensive lineups in the league. A lot has to go rigjt for them to win the cup....but that can be said of any team.

And for all the fear of the Lightning and Leafs....neither made the Cup Finals last year. Either team can be bested in a seven game series.
I really don't want to see the leafs in the first round they are angry and I mean angry.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
I’m lazy only because I don’t feel like breaking down the Tampa, Boston, and Toronto farm system and Cap present and projected which I could

I went to recent games on Detroit, Washington, and less on Philadelphia and only 1 player on all the teams did I not know about the prospects AHL or other and that was Ehn on Detroit and now I could write a paper on him

Off the top of my head I could list the top 10-15 prospects of every team in our division- probably because I play in a hockey SIM

Check back in 3 years on the how the Bruins are losing the whatever to Toronto or Tampa or Washington or Pittsburgh

Thanks for that. I look forwards to your posts because of your hockey knowledge and commitment to the game.

I addressed the Bruins farm depth in my posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->