Post-Game Talk (GBU): Needed that win

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Dahlin is so calm and cool, and for his age and being a rookie, wow he looks like he’s been in the league forever live.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
That game was a war, and lots of the young Sabres did well. It had the intensity and physicality of a playoff game.

The D corps is rounding into shape and it looks good. Plus, having Beaulieu and Nelson as backups is great depth.

Mittelstadt did not back down from Kesler.

Pilut and Dahlin played well under duress. Pilut is more kinetic and Dahlin more calm, but both good.

Thompson looked dangerous.

Ullmark looked quiet, which is what you want from the goalie.

Great game. Hope RJ is ok.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
One glaring bad

Pilut receiving the least amount of ice time of all defensemen. Only saw the ice for 15:40

He needs to be out there about 5 minutes more per night. Take the time away from Scandella

Reactions: Kyndig

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
One glaring bad

Pilut receiving the least amount of ice time of all defensemen. Only saw the ice for 15:40

He needs to be out there about 5 minutes more per night. Take the time away from Scandella

It is not as simple as taking away minutes from one dman and giving them to another. Unlike forwards there only 3 pairings and half as many D as there are forwards. With penalties, game flow, last change, zone deployment etc it is extremely difficult to take away minutes from one particular player and giving them to another particular player.

Remember, Pilut is only playing his 8th NHL game. He does not look like a rookie with limited experience which is awesome. With how this season is shaping up, I think it is safe to say we have 4 out of our 6 dmen for our eventual cup contender.

LD
McCabe
Pilut
XX

RD
Dahlin
Risto
XX

Those 4 are all good skaters and are all 25 or younger. They can man the blue line for the next 5 years no problem. Between our 4 1sts the next two years and Guhle and Samuelsson in the system I think we are almost set on the backend. Unfortunately we have a glut of LHS dmen.

And this is exactly why current organizational makeup should not matter when drafting. Remember 5 years ago when we were absolutely loaded with RHD in Myers, Risto and Pysyk long term? And it was LHD we needed? Now long term we are absolutely flooded with LHD and only have Risto as a top 4 or future top 4 D with a RHS. Which is why it makes Risto even more untouchable then he already is.

Luckily for us Dahlin prefers the right side. He may be there in 20-21 after Bogo walks.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Probably my favorite game of the year so far. We've had some good ones but the journey and result is uplifting tonight. Happy for their success and proud of the boys off ice work in the community. Have a great holiday HF friends

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I’ll try to find a .gif of it tomorrow, but the no look backhand pass Dahlin made to Mitts to breakout of the zone on the Elie breakaway was elite

Reactions: Sabres and Rasmi

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006
Besides what’s been covered:

Larsson on the boards
Henrique taking a half hearted swipe at Skinner after he torched Gibson:laugh:

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I just watched the replay ... and as much crap as we give Ray (well deserved), he did a fine job pinch hitting in the seconds that lasted a couple minutes as RJ had his medical issue. It was nothing great. But it did the job for those couple mins of agony knowing your friend and broadcast partner just went down. :clap:

And yes, BD did a nice job grabbing the bull by the horns and taking over in an emergency like that. Well done Mr, Clean :5:

Reactions: cardiffgiant

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Edwards/Sauve? Lol

Those were the days were they not? First tandem I believe to wear the birdcage - or among the first. I remember playing street hockey with my pals back then where me and my neighbor would play goalie quite often because we were one of the few to have the Mylec goalie set back then and we'd argue who we were going to be when playing against each other... whatever goalie was playing hot was the name we wanted ... No! I'm Don Edwards! You were Don yesterday... Good times.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One glaring bad

Situationally, he isn't being used in PK/man-down situations yet. With 3 penalties against and then extended time with Gibson pulled, they didn't use him as much.

That said, it was nice to see the TOI on the blueline spread around as much as it was.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
That game was a war, and lots of the young Sabres did well. It had the intensity and physicality of a playoff game.

The D corps is rounding into shape and it looks good. Plus, having Beaulieu and Nelson as backups is great depth.

Mittelstadt did not back down from Kesler.

Pilut and Dahlin played well under duress. Pilut is more kinetic and Dahlin more calm, but both good.

Thompson looked dangerous.

Ullmark looked quiet, which is what you want from the goalie.

Great game. Hope RJ is ok.
I agree with all, i picked yours because i was impressed with mitts and many on the team standing up to kessler and getzlaf trying to replicate success of florida by going after eichel and skinner.. Im a little less worried seeing a great defensive effort and some grit from mccabe and bogosian... although i still believe this is a tactic from teams until it isnt.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I agree with all, i picked yours because i was impressed with mitts and many on the team standing up to kessler and getzlaf trying to replicate success of florida by going after eichel and skinner.. Im a little:naughty: less worried seeing a great defensive effort and some grit from mccabe and bogosian... although i still believe this is a tactic from teams until it isnt.

After seeing him rag doll Kadri, I wonder if McQuaid is available. :laugh:

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
After seeing him rag doll Kadri, I wonder if McQuaid is available. :laugh:
i had to look it up , but , YEA if we do this to anyone that touches our top line ...

Then we will be alright.. I don't want eichel fighting for himself more than one time, as a message. to lay soneone out. tell the league.. enough.. Great example thanks, I even tried to puctuate some, like finishing a check..

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
G: getting the 2 points
B: RJ to the hospital

No ugly tonight, complete team win.
Get well RJ, I can remember the Aud tribute like it was yesterday. Him talking about Ted Darling (who I think had Pick's Disease? I could be wrong on that though) and pointing in the direction of crossroads arena "See you in September, one block in that direction".
I was 4/5 yrs old, my mom and dad had the Sabres on the radio all the time back in the early / mid 70's. My fondest memories are of RJ calling the PBP, my friends and I at Ive's pond in the late 70's to mid 80's skating up the ice toward the net announcing like RJ as we skated in...……..so many memories come flooding back, as the silver age of 50 calls my name I realize just how truly blessed my generation has been to have had RJ calling the games. One of my personal favorites is when Gilbert used to streak up the ice, the way it lit up RJ's voice. Especially at Boston Garden, It was like a gift from the hockey gods...…..
So many Sabres historic calls by him. I'm just glad my kids, especially my daughter Alyssa who is as fanatical as I am, have had the humbled honor to listen to RJ call the Sabres. I would like to believe he can continue on, but just in case this incident forces his earlier than expected retirement, I feel both somber and, at the same time, relieved he's ok.

Last edited:

steveoath

GHC 141
Jul 31, 2018
Arguably the best performance this season.

D pairings look great.
Ullmark was great.
Reinhart was great.
Skinner was great.

Sabres were great!

Reactions: Reddawg

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
G: getting the 2 points
B: RJ to the hospital

No ugly tonight, complete team win.
Get well RJ, I can remember the Aud tribute like it was yesterday. Him talking about Ted Darling (who I think had Pick's Disease? I could be wrong on that though) and pointing in the direction of crossroads arena "See you in September, one block in that direction".

Yes it was Pick's, a form of dementia. It's been documented, and believe me, it was painful seeing his deterioration, as I had a friend who lived by him in Lockport.

Ted was the best PBP man on Radio ever. Felt like you were watching the game instead of listening, he painted the action so well.

We have been truly fortunate to have had two legends like Ted and especially RJ for so many years.

Regardless of where RJ's path goes here on in, let us hope he's healthy, happy, and cheering on a winning team..

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like our defence group a lot and I’d never thought I’d say that

Yeah, they've rounded out nicely. I'm also consistently impressed that Smith will deploy people situationally -- he doesn't always have the same pairs all the time, even if people are available. And even more impressive to me? It's worked. They seem to be much more comfortable with one another as a unit rather than just with one specific partner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->