Need some Size: Bickell or Horton or Both

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
how can you have no reservations about a guy that had 18 goals/55 points in 161 games(regular season+playoffs) while he was on the Kings?

Dustin Penner is terrible

You do realize there's more to hockey than just scoring goals? DET needs a physical presence. Do you think Abdelkader was put with Pavel because of his goal scoring ability? Im guessing you didnt watch very many Kings games either

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
You do realize there's more to hockey than just scoring goals? DET needs a physical presence. Do you think Abdelkader was put with Pavel because of his goal scoring ability? Im guessing you didnt watch very many Kings games
At this point, I'm starting to worry less about who's going to play with Datsyuk. Abdelkader will.

I'm starting to worry more about who's going to play with Abdelkader when Datsyuk's gone.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You do realize there's more to hockey than just scoring goals? DET needs a physical presence. Do you think Abdelkader was put with Pavel because of his goal scoring ability? Im guessing you didnt watch very many Kings games either

Abdelkader was put with Datsyuk because sometimes Babcock is an idiot with his lineup decisions

there may be more to hockey than offense but offense is still by far the most important thing for a forward,I think sometimes people lose sight of that

do you even realize how pathetic those numbers are? that's 9 goals/28 points pace over 82 games

MrTaterSalad

May 29, 2011
Nathan Horton must be on our radar. He's everything that virtually everyone has wanted for a while now. A winger, a right handed shot, a 25+ goal scorer, big bodied and someone who uses that body to be physical. Other than his injury concerns, and those aren't THAT MUCH of a problem, there is no good reason not to look at the guy.

Jul 30, 2005
DET has a solid prospect pool, but its a bit too early to worry about that sort of stuff
Detroit has a solid prospect pool in certain areas:

1. scoring wingers
2. defensemen (in general)
3. goaltending
4. checking line centers.

Detroit has a pretty big weakness IMO when it comes to big potential offensive centers. They really need to start using 1st round picks to fish for the next solution at C. I don't see Jarnkrok as a #1 center.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Abdelkader was put with Datsyuk because sometimes Babcock is an idiot with his lineup decisions

there may be more to hockey than offense but offense is still by far the most important thing for a forward,I think sometimes people lose sight of that

do you even realize how pathetic those numbers are? that's 9 goals/28 points pace over 82 games
And had Bertuzzi been healthy, he probably would have knocked Abdelkader down in the lineup. Gotta have a good mix of skills. Guys like Bert and Abdelkader and Penner are good guys to have in front of the net

Nathan Horton must be on our radar. He's everything that virtually everyone has wanted for a while now. A winger, a right handed shot, a 25+ goal scorer, big bodied and someone who uses that body to be physical. Other than his injury concerns, and those aren't THAT MUCH of a problem, there is no good reason not to look at the guy.
I have 6 million + more reasons

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL

1. scoring wingers
3. goaltending

Detroit has a pretty big weakness IMO when it comes to big potential offensive centers. They really need to start using 1st round picks to fish for the next solution at C. I don't see Jarnkrok as a #1 center.

Wll, this happens when you dont see a high draft pick in 2+ decades. Tough to find #1 ELITE players in the mid 20's of a draft.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Not picking a fight at all, but why? Legitimately curious, I keep hearing that he's "the truth" and an elite set up man.

He doesn't have elite skillset to me, either. Good and arguably great but not elite. And with that size, it would have to be elite imo to be successful first liner. He needs mroe strength and bulk to battle in NHL. That can be done but the q is to what extent can he improve on that area? He does have pretty good shot to become 2nd line C but don't see him being anything beyond that. He's a longshot imo to be as strong on their skates as Datsyuk and Zetterberg.. and he doesn't have the speed or size to overcome it.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

1. scoring wingers
3. goaltending

But even then there's no certainty you get a #1 center prospect, it's the hardest by far to find. I think many NHL systems lack in this particular area. Gauthier who feels like a 2nd line center at best went the pick after our, and this was a deep draft. Something like 7 or 8 centers were taken before our original pick, and it's a stretch to call half of them #1 center prospects off the bat. You basically have to get lucky, draft a guy with a top6 skill set and hope he surprises you. Janmark-Nylen probably has as much offensive potential as a Gauthier so it's not all about what round you draft them either.

Jul 30, 2005
But even then there's no certainty you get a #1 center prospect, it's the hardest by far to find. I think many NHL systems lack in this particular area. Gauthier who feels like a 2nd line center at best went the pick after our, and this was a deep draft. Something like 7 or 8 centers were taken before our original pick, and it's a stretch to call half of them #1 center prospects. You basically have to get lucky, draft a guy with a top6 skill set and hope he surprises you. Janmark-Nylen probably has as much offensive potential as a Gauthier so it's not all about what round you draft them either.
Right. What I mean is: from now on, you take the Gauthier-types AND the Janmark-Nylen types. After all, it's easier to convert centers to wingers anyway. Maybe you find your center, or maybe you just find another good offensive player. I have to think that's the best way to try.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Right. What I mean is: from now on, you take the Gauthier-types AND the Janmark-Nylen types. After all, it's easier to convert centers to wingers anyway. Maybe you find your center, or maybe you just find another good offensive player. I have to think that's the best way to try.

Guess so. But they've drafted quite a bit of them let's not forget that. Andersson, Sheahan, Ferraro, Jarnkrok, Quine, Athanasiou, now Janmark. So far mostly success on the wing but hopefully one of these days one of them surprises you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad