Need some basic scouting reports on these defensemen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rather Gingerly 1*

clay said:
...and compare who they are similar to

Bobby Saguinetti
Ty Wishart
Nigel Williams
Mark Mitera
Ben Shruton
Joe Ryan

Wishart reminds me of Brendan Witt

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada

Bobby Saguinetti: all-around guy ... a threat to have on the PP ... great speed, one of the fastest skating blueliners in the draft

Ty Wishart: huge player with two-way potential ... good lateral movement ... still raw and hasn't quite developed his offensive game just yet ... a rock defensively

Nigel Williams: intriguing d-man with big offensive potential ... could use some work on the defensive aspect but is already up there offensively ... the type of guy who gets drafted higher than expected, think Sasha Pokulok

Mark Mitera: your typical stay-at-home type of guy ... not flashy and won't be an offensive contributor at the pro level ... will need to improve his skating

Ben Shruton: very fast, offensive-minded d-man plays a bit like Sanguinetti ... still makes too many defensive mistakes to be considered as good as him, although he's making some strides in that regard

Joey Ryan: has benefited playing for a powerhouse in Quebec ... according to many scouts, has come a long way in the 2nd half of the season in terms of overall play ... decent size and physical play

Hope that helps. Those were just random facts I know or have heard about.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Kyle Chipchura said:

Bobby Saguinetti: all-around guy ... a threat to have on the PP ... great speed, one of the fastest skating blueliners in the draft

Ty Wishart: huge player with two-way potential ... good lateral movement ... still raw and hasn't quite developed his offensive game just yet ... a rock defensively

Nigel Williams: intriguing d-man with big offensive potential ... could use some work on the defensive aspect but is already up there offensively ... the type of guy who gets drafted higher than expected, think Sasha Pokulok

Mark Mitera: your typical stay-at-home type of guy ... not flashy and won't be an offensive contributor at the pro level ... will need to improve his skating

Ben Shruton: very fast, offensive-minded d-man plays a bit like Sanguinetti ... still makes too many defensive mistakes to be considered as good as him, although he's making some strides in that regard

Joey Ryan: has benefited playing for a powerhouse in Quebec ... according to many scouts, has come a long way in the 2nd half of the season in terms of overall play ... decent size and physical play

Nice, thanks.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Kyle Chipchura said:

Nice review. In what order would you take them? How many of them are 1st round potential?

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
EagleBelfour said:
Nice review. In what order would you take them? How many of them are 1st round potential?

I think all of them will be gone on day 1... at this point I'd personally rank them like this:

1. Sanguinetti: top-10 material
2a. Williams: wildcard IMO, could go anywhere from 5 to 20, based on his huge raw potential
2b. Wishart: top-15 material and on the rise
4. Shutron: late 1st round
5. Ryan: mid to late 2nd
6. Mitera: mid to late 2nd, maybe later

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Kyle Chipchura said:
I think all of them will be gone on day 1...
. . .

Good posts about the d-men.

Remember, there is only one day of the draft now that we have dropped to seven rounds.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
timlap said:

Remember, there is only one day of the draft now that we have dropped to seven rounds.

Then his report is more accurate than he could ever know! :D

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Kyle Chipchura said:
I think all of them will be gone on day 1... at this point I'd personally rank them like this:

1. Sanguinetti: top-10 material
2a. Williams: wildcard IMO, could go anywhere from 5 to 20, based on his huge raw potential
2b. Wishart: top-15 material and on the rise
4. Shutron: late 1st round
5. Ryan: mid to late 2nd
6. Mitera: mid to late 2nd, maybe later

Williams definately will be above Bobby. I can't imagine him not being above him at this point.

And I doubt Mitera will last to the 2nd round..

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
timlap said:

Sorry, honest mistake. But yeah, what I mean is I could see all get picked before the end of the 2nd round.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Jon Prescription said:
Williams definately will be above Bobby. I can't imagine him not being above him at this point.
As I pointed out, Williams is a wildcard and could go, IMO, anywhere from being a top-5 pick to lasting until the twenties. He's still pretty raw and it's tough to project how he will round out. For that reason, I would be more comfortable with my team Sanguinetti, although he's no sure-fire pick himself.

Jon Prescription said:
And I doubt Mitera will last to the 2nd round..

Well, maybe the tendency for many teams to prefer big, physical (and slow) stay-at-home blueliners will slowly fade away with the play now being more open to skilled d-men to join the attack. I personally wouldn't be surprised - mostly based on what I've seen from him at the U-20s - if he gets passed on in the first two rounds.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
I've heard him likened to a former Cougar in Dan Hamhuis.

They don't even remotely play the same game! Hamhuis can skate, shoot and was waaaaay more physical than Wishart is or ever will be! The things Wishart has going for him are his size, reach, decent skating and the fact he is playing a ton in all situations for the Cougars at only 17 yrs old, albeit somewhat out of necessity! I would liken Wishart to Andy Rogers, the Lightning 1st rounder, but maybe not as good a skater as Rogers. I don't really like Wishart's puck skills, but he is young and that area should improve. I don't see Wishart as a for sure 1st round draft pick, but I can almost guarantee you he will go somewhere between 20th and 30th as some team will project a 6'5 17 yr old kid down the road when he is 21 or 22 yrs old and they could very well have a good one!

Randall Graves*

Does anyone think Williams will be kind of like this years AJ Thelen?

Rather Gingerly 1*

Sounds like Williams would be a good pick for the Habs

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Braydon Coburn is more accurate.
I've never really thought of this one before, and I don't remember much of Couburn's offensive game at that age, or really, Coubrurn at all then, but I think this could be a really good call from what I remember seeing of Brayden after he was drafted...similar sized, both skate well for the size, and Ty has a cannon, and relatively accurate shot as well...

as for the Hamhuis/Wishart comparison, the only comparison is that they will end up playing similar minutes by the time their WHL careers are done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad