Equipment: Need some advice on skates

Larry Aichler

Jan 10, 2019
My son and granddaughters play hockey and he wants me to join him in his pickup games when I am in town. Also, I am looking to join an 'older' age league close to home to get back into some action. Back in my younger days I played roller hockey with my son and when I go to visit him in Chicago, we always go to the rink for some stick and puck. Currently I have been borrowing his extra set (Bauer 160's) but with his custom insoles, my feet are aching in the first few minutes. His 160's are a 9.5D and plenty big on me, but his Bauer 190's that he plays with are an 8.5D and my toes do more than feather the toe cap, even when bending. I did try on some CCM RBZ's in a 9 and they fit perfectly, but had some tears in them, so I did not purchase them (used). I dont have an overly large foot, sneaker or cowboy boot size 10.5 but my ankles are probably on the slightly narrower side of average (definitely not larger than average).

My issue is that living in Florida, the nearest brick and mortar hockey store is over 65 miles away. I think I have narrowed my choice to a CCM JetSpeed Xtra Pro in a 9D that I found online (new), as it seems to be the perfect combination of what I'd need, then spend the day going to the brick and mortar for baking while I take the wife out for lunch [the joys of marriage compromise :)]. I am looking to stay under $300 if possible. Any thoughts or suggestions?

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
IMO you really need to visit a LHS with a decent selection of models and sizes in stock. Otherwise you’ll quite likely end up with a poor fit, and possibly pain.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Perhaps next time you visit Chicago, you could go to a store to check it out? It's quite difficult to find a good fit just by guessing. Let me give you an example from your own experience; the CCM RBZs size larger than typical, so the size 9 you tried on is closer to a 9.5 or even 10 in other skates. But then again, you've tried on 3 pairs of skates so at least you have SOME idea of sizing. If you HAD to guess, I would probably say you'd fit in a size 9. Ok; set that aside. Did you like the overall fit of the Supremes? Ankle wrap? Heel lock? You haven't tried Bauer Vapor or CCM Ribcor etc. etc. which all fit differently.

Larry Aichler

Jan 10, 2019
You both make some valid points. I'll just hold off and go find a place to try some on. It may be a while but worth the potential aggravation.

Reactions: AIREAYE

Larry Aichler

Jan 10, 2019
So I found someone that actually had very similar skates to the ones I wanted (just a slightly different model within the Jetspeed family) and the size, and they let me try them on, relatively perfect fit (as they were baked for him). so I pulled the trigger on ordering them online. Got them and they fit beautifully.

My next question, can I get them sharpened first and then have them baked, all in the same visit? Or do I have to bake them first, wait 24 hours and then have them sharpened, which I have read in a few places? Truthfully, I can't see any physical reason as to why I couldn't get them sharpened before baking, to save a long trip back and forth. TIA

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Trying them on and getting a good fit is the most important thing for skates. Different brands and lines fit differently; for example, I eventually found out that the Bauer Vapor line for player skates fit me the best, after having used the Bauer Supreme line for a while, which is a little wider of a skate so was loose around my toe cap. Grafs are also popular with people who have wide feet, but I don't so I've never tried them. Size is kind of all over the place but shouldn't deviate a great deal (and is usually 1-2 sizes lower, in number, than your shoe size). Personally I wear a size 10 (US women's). My player skates are Bauer Vapors in 8.0R and my goal skates are the Reebok K skate in 7.0R. I've also tried the Reebok K player skates before and 6.5R fit me the best for some reason, but the Bauer Vapors a nominal size and a half "bigger" were a better fit. Kind of strange.

TLDR: Like others said, your best bet is to go to a shop and try a bunch of different ones on.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
My next question, can I get them sharpened first and then have them baked, all in the same visit? Or do I have to bake them first, wait 24 hours and then have them sharpened, which I have read in a few places? Truthfully, I can't see any physical reason as to why I couldn't get them sharpened before baking, to save a long trip back and forth. TIA

Last time I bought skates for my kid we had them baked and then sharpened at the same visit. No suggestion you shouldn't do it that way from staff.

Reactions: Larry Aichler

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Did you check Amazon? I saw some decent prices but unsure if they ship to Florida. But I know you want to try them on first. For me I always bought a size bigger than my shoe size, because outdoor hockey and thick socks. But even when I wear normal socks the skates felt fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->