Need help with wheels

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Hey guys, I'm currently using Rink Rat Hot Shots, and they are really great but are too soft for outdoor play. I really like the Rink Rat designs, but the outdoor Rink Rats are pretty expensive.

What are your suggestions for a good outdoor wheel comparable to Rink Rats? I play 2-3 times a week, about. I've heard that the Hyper Pro outdoor wheels aren't too bad (very inexpensive) but they are kinda slow. Also, would the bearings I'm using now be usable if I bought a set of wheels that weren't Rink Rats or would I have to buy new bearings with the wheels?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
triggrman said:
What type of outdoor floor? If is just asphalt almost any 88a wheel is going to be pretty fast and pretty cheap.

Yeah, it's asphalt. Would the bearings I'm using with my rink rats be good for most other wheels?

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
most bearings can be used with any wheel...except if the wheels have a mini core(i believe thats what its called) basically the bearings wont fit but you should be able to tell just looking at the wheels

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Outdoors are you playing on a smoothly paved rink made for hockey (boards are a good sign for smooth pavement) or is it something more like a playground surface like a basketball court?

If it is smooth I'd go with a much much softer wheel than 88a, probably around a 78-80 because it could feel slick with a hard wheel. As for a more rough surface I've had good luck with 84a's that lasted a while. If you're using a puck, it's probably a smoother surface where you'll need more grip. The higher the "a" number, the longer they'll last and the faster they'll be but, trust me, if your wheels are too hard for the surface it will be hard to push off, turn, stop, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->