Need help with skates

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
My skates finally crapped out on me. These skates are OLD. My dad used them many years ago and they gave him many years of good service. I didn't have money to buy skates so he gave me his. They were amazing, so old the brand is unreadable, but they worked so well. I have used newer skates since and always go back to these old ones.

Well last night I realized I need to replace them. They are just so worn out that it's not worth it to try and fix them up.

Here is the problem. I have not much money and not much knowledge on newer skates. I am willing to spend around $150 on new skates. I currently don't play in a league so I don't need high performance stuff...Just something that will get me by playing pickup once a week or so.

Thanks!

mvp76

Aug 21, 2004
planet earth
You can find a decent pair of skates at that price(I've seen nike's for that price).Making sure they fit you well is the most important thing,it can improve your skating as it did for me.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
hammerofthegods said:
You can find a decent pair of skates at that price(I've seen nike's for that price).Making sure they fit you well is the most important thing,it can improve your skating as it did for me.

I was buying a stick yesterday and saw some nikes for $100-$130. Are they all basically good skates?

IkeaMonkey*

If they are older nikes, like the quests, you need to make sure they will fit. The Quest line is very narrow. Now is the best time to start going to shops, most places are blowing out all the stuff from last year to make room for the 05 stuff.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I should probably mention I have pretty wide feet. It's tough finding stuff that is comfortable for me.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
waffledave said:
I should probably mention I have pretty wide feet. It's tough finding stuff that is comfortable for me.
I find that current Nikes are wide. However, you need to go to a store and try on every skate in your price range. They should fit so that once you bang your heel back and tie them up, your toes are feathering the end. Also, Nike makes wide skates but watch for blister problems on the inside part of the skate at the back of your foot..

luke34e

Dec 7, 2004
go to canadian tire and get like vapor 1 or bauer supreme 100 or something, they work good

IkeaMonkey*

DaveyCrockett said:
I find that current Nikes are wide. However, you need to go to a store and try on every skate in your price range. They should fit so that once you bang your heel back and tie them up, your toes are feathering the end. Also, Nike makes wide skates but watch for blister problems on the inside part of the skate at the back of your foot..

The V- nike line may be out of his price range. CCM traditionally fits a wider foot. I would suggest either the Vector 5.0(I LOVE my Vectors) or something like the 02/03/04 652 Tack.

Don't know about where you live, but there are a couple of good sports consignment shops here in Edmonton and I do most of my shopping there for big ticket stuff. Used to work at one too. You'd be really surprised at the quality of stuff that comes in. It's really ideal for having kids who grow fast to just use this gear that for the most part has only been used for a season or two.

But there is a lot of stuff for adults too. Guys who have either quit playing or upgraded their gear will usually consign it or trade it for cash. It's not uncommon to see Grafs, higher end Bauers and so on. It's probably worth the time to go through the phone book and hunt down these types of places if money is a concern.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
I got an awesome pair of Easton Ultra Lite Pro's about three years ago on sale...IIRC, like $105ish. I love them. No, they are not the $300 variety, but they are wonderful. Even had a problem with them after taking a slat shot to the skate, and the Easton people were awesome in helping me fix it. First class company.

Last edited:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Thornton97 said:
I got an awesome pair of Easton Ultra Lite Pro's about three years ago on sale...IIRC, like $105ish. I love them. No, they are not the $300 variety, but they are wonderful. Even had a problem with them after taking a slat shot to the skate, and the Easton people were awesome in helping my fix it. First class company.

I have the exact same pair of skates and I love them and never had a problem with them. My brother on the other also has the same pair but hates them.

IkeaMonkey*

waffledave said:
How are the CCM Vector 3s? I found them on sale for $120. What's the consensus on them?

I wouldnt recommend the 3.0s. 4.0 and up are good skates for their prices.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I bought new skates. I got the Nike Quest 4s, as they were the most comfortable ones I could find. And I got them for $100 Canadian, so the price was pretty decent.

IkeaMonkey*

Sorta weird that you said you have pretty wide feet and the Quest line was comfortable. If I may ask, what size skates and shoes you wear?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
DynamoAO said:
Sorta weird that you said you have pretty wide feet and the Quest line was comfortable. If I may ask, what size skates and shoes you wear?

I wear around size 10.5 shoes and I got size 8 skates. Yeah, I like them very tight. The guy at the store was amazed.

The thing is, I can probably fit into size 9.5 shoes in terms of length but the width doesnt work for me. All my shoes are just a little too long but what can I do?

These skates were perfect, just the right level and tightness and just the right length so I don't break all my toes when I hit the boards.

IkeaMonkey*

Ahhhhh makes sense.I have wide feet and I dont like really tight skates.I wear a 8.5 shoe and I tried on a size 7 Nike Quest 1 and it was still WAYYYYYYY too tight around the sides of my foot. The only size that gave me decent width was an 8 in the Quest model, but my ankles were swimming in them from kicking my skate up to just touch the toe cap, I had about an inch and a half from the back of my foot to the back of the boot.So I settled for a size 7 CCM Vector and it fits like a glove.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
DynamoAO said:
Ahhhhh makes sense.I have wide feet and I dont like really tight skates.I wear a 8.5 shoe and I tried on a size 7 Nike Quest 1 and it was still WAYYYYYYY too tight around the sides of my foot. The only size that gave me decent width was an 8 in the Quest model, but my ankles were swimming in them from kicking my skate up to just touch the toe cap, I had about an inch and a half from the back of my foot to the back of the boot.So I settled for a size 7 CCM Vector and it fits like a glove.

I liked the CCM Vector but none of the places I went had my size. I tried an 8.5 and I wasn't happy with how it felt around my ankle. I wanted to try an 8 but I couldn't find one anywhere. I tried a 7.5 and it would have given my blisters everywhere.

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
DynamoAO said:

If you really liked the Quests that much, you could have just gotten them in an E/EE width rather than having to go up in size which also effects the length and then ultimately resulted in you just buying a different skate.

Last edited:

Accord

Sep 25, 2004
South Florida
waffledave said:
The thing is, I can probably fit into size 9.5 shoes in terms of length but the width doesnt work for me. All my shoes are just a little too long but what can I do?

If you find a skate that you like, is extremely comfortable, and fits your foot very well but it's way too narrow, all you've got to do is buy the skate in a wider width such an E or EE. If your LHS doesn't carry them, they can order them for you. Most shops only stock D width skates and it's a huge problem for many people, including myself, which is why i'm forced to buy online.

Also, when trying on skates you need to consider the fact that once your skates are broken in they will gain roughly a 1/4 size in width so if you find a skate you like but it's just a LITTLE too narrow, they'll probably be fine once broken in unless it's a composite boot like Synergies or something of that sort.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Watch out for wide feet, I had to get custom boots and drop 450 on 852 Tacks. Though, if you go custom I recommend you NOT go with CCM, because they baited me around for 6 months before they finally made them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->