Need help with next car

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
My 2008 Honda civic has finally let go. Hated the car and will never believe anyone about how great and reliable they are. Looking for a commuter car. 2015-2018 under 80000km. What are the better cars that will last? I drive about 100km a day.

member 157595

You may want to consider a hybrid if you're driving >= 60 miles per day, your gas bill has to be tremendous. I used to own a plug-in hybrid (then I had a midlife crisis and got a Subaru WRX) and got crazy good mileage from it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You may want to consider a hybrid if you're driving >= 60 miles per day, your gas bill has to be tremendous. I used to own a plug-in hybrid (then I had a midlife crisis and got a Subaru WRX) and got crazy good mileage from it.

Depending on where you live and what you're comfortable with, a small car can get you some really good mileage. here's an article that's a year old from car&driver highlighting ten of them. 35 mpg apparently converts to a little over 14 kilometers per liter.

member 157595

Depending on where you live and what you're comfortable with, a small car can get you some really good mileage. here's an article that's a year old from car&driver highlighting ten of them. 35 mpg apparently converts to a little over 14 kilometers per liter.

I'm a big proponent of getting as good gas mileage as you can. I once got 34 mpg (no joke) on a 90-minute trip in a Subaru WRX, which is borderline impossible. It depends on the type of miles you drive; if it's highway miles it's easy in any small car, in the city it sucks with the vast majority of cars, but if you're driving suburban miles you can save a lot of money with a hybrid.

In the end, I think the OP needs to give us some more information about the kind of cars he is interested in and what his drive is like before we can start to narrow it down IMO.

Reactions: Winger98

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm a big proponent of getting as good gas mileage as you can. I once got 34 mpg (no joke) on a 90-minute trip in a Subaru WRX, which is borderline impossible. It depends on the type of miles you drive; if it's highway miles it's easy in any small car, in the city it sucks with the vast majority of cars, but if you're driving suburban miles you can save a lot of money with a hybrid.

In the end, I think the OP needs to give us some more information about the kind of cars he is interested in and what his drive is like before we can start to narrow it down IMO.

Agreed. I drove a 97 Cadillac Boston to Florida, and it blew through a head gasket shortly after returning home so I assume it was weeping at the time.

30mpg on a Northstar! Normally it ran 16-18mpg.

Reactions: OmniCube

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
OP, get a Corolla and beat the bag out of it. I had a 2006 with 140k on the dash when it was wrecked while parked. The only thing I ever replaced was brakes, tires, and a brake master. Disclaimer: I am a huge "buy American" type of guy, but I have nothing bad to say about that Corolla that was inherited.

I would suggest a Pentastar Dodge car, but you won't go very long before stopping again and again for gas with that type of commute.

member 157595

OP, get a Corolla and beat the bag out of it. I had a 2006 with 140k on the dash when it was wrecked while parked. The only thing I ever replaced was brakes, tires, and a brake master. Disclaimer: I am a huge "buy American" type of guy, but I have nothing bad to say about that Corolla that was inherited.

I would suggest a Pentastar Dodge car, but you won't go very long before stopping again and again for gas with that type of commute.

Every Toyota sedan my family ever had has lasted well over a decade, and I was born and raised in an area that receives 120 inches of snow per year.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
What no votes for a Beretta? Lol (was silly to stop making these, the 3.1 was amazing)

Ill toss in a vote for the VW golf. Seem to have pretty good ratings

Reactions: rosscow

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015

Drive is mainly highway. Just city driving for the last little bit. I have a Yukon for weekend and anytime I need something bigger. Live in Ontario so drive in snow. Looking for a small car. Better on gas. Haven't looked into electric or hybrids. Corolla is one I have looked at.

Are kia reliable?

member 157595

Drive is mainly highway. Just city driving for the last little bit. I have a Yukon for weekend and anytime I need something bigger. Live in Ontario so drive in snow. Looking for a small car. Better on gas. Haven't looked into electric or hybrids. Corolla is one I have looked at.

Are kia reliable?

A used Toyota sedan like a Corolla may be a good choice. I would recommend real winter tires, not all-seasons, since it's FWD.

Reactions: rosscow

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Are kia reliable?
Get a Subaru impreza. You'll be thankful for the awd on the winter roads, especially if you get a set of snow tires to go with it.

member 157595

Get a Subaru impreza. You'll be thankful for the awd on the winter roads, especially if you get a set of snow tires to go with it.

The only trade-off with AWD is the reduced fuel economy.

Subarus (except the BRZ obviously) are invincible in the snow. Even with all-seasons I can get out of winter situations with my WRX that would render 2WD vehicles absolutely helpless.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The only trade-off with AWD is the reduced fuel economy.

Subarus (except the BRZ obviously) are invincible in the snow. Even with all-seasons I can get out of winter situations with my WRX that would render 2WD vehicles absolutely helpless.
The peace of mind that AWD brings is worth the lower mpg.

I didn't buy either of my cars for gas mileage. The Shelby convertible for pure raw, unadulterated fun.

The Audi S4 for the AWD and still fun besides. ;)

The Audi, with snow tires is a street legal snowmobile!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The peace of mind that AWD brings is worth the lower mpg.

I didn't buy either of my cars for gas mileage. The Shelby convertible for pure raw, unadulterated fun.

The Audi S4 for the AWD and still fun besides. ;)

The Audi, with snow tires is a street legal snowmobile!

Maybe 10 years ago I was in Pittsburgh for a Bruins game, and drove home on New Years Eve in what was easily the scariest and most dangerous drive I've ever done. I think the drive down was 10 hours, coming back on NYE in this snow was 16. I swear this storm followed my every move the entire time. I don't recall ever seeing pavement. At one point I'm crawling down what I think was rte84, just barely enough steam to keep the tires moving cuz I'm terrified to lose grip, and I see a tiny little Audi SCREAM by me like a raped ape. He/she had to be going at least 80, and even swerved back into the proper lane at this speed and never lost grip.

You know those cars that pass you and you think, "they'll either be upside down in a ditch around the next curve, or in cuffs bent over their hood"? This was 100 percent that guy...and I never saw him again.

That's my Audi story. Bruins won the game too, and I walked into a New Years party after that drive literally during the 10 second count down. It was wild.

Reactions: TaLoN

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Maybe 10 years ago I was in Pittsburgh for a Bruins game, and drove home on New Years Eve in what was easily the scariest and most dangerous drive I've ever done. I think the drive down was 10 hours, coming back on NYE in this snow was 16. I swear this storm followed my every move the entire time. I don't recall ever seeing pavement. At one point I'm crawling down what I think was rte84, just barely enough steam to keep the tires moving cuz I'm terrified to lose grip, and I see a tiny little Audi SCREAM by me like a raped ape. He/she had to be going at least 80, and even swerved back into the proper lane at this speed and never lost grip.

You know those cars that pass you and you think, "they'll either be upside down in a ditch around the next curve, or in cuffs bent over their hood"? This was 100 percent that guy...and I never saw him again.

That's my Audi story. Bruins won the game too, and I walked into a New Years party after that drive literally during the 10 second count down. It was wild.
White knuckle driving at its finest. At least it probably kept you awake lol.

Ive also been hit head on by one of those dopes. 4 years old in the front middle seat of a beaver wagon= bad for your face/teeth/noggin. Paid for a new car when I was 18 though!

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

the Corolla i had would often flirt with 40mpg through a full tank if I treated her well. It was typically bang on at 35mpg though. So consistent that when it suddenly dipped to 30 I knew there was a problem, which was a brake master that froze a caliper.

if i needed an econobox I would happily get a Corolla, though I would look to avoid a CVT car

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
I have been super happy with Toyota the last 20 years.
My Corolla was super reliable and never any trouble for 10 years and my present Matrix is now in year 11 and only had a brake job and nothing else in over 100k driving,mostly city.

Full disclosure I won the Matrix on Timmy's roll up to win but even so the fact I still have it means it ended up a great car.

My brother and son had each tried Hyundai and Kia because of the lower price and extras you get and both were great for about 5 years and then problem after problem.
Almost no resale or trade in value either.

American made are not nearly as good as Japan made whether it be Toyota or Honda and you also save on car insurance with Japan over American.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I don't even go 80 on dry pavement unless the speed limit is 75...

You make it snow covered, chances are... on the highway I'll be going between 50-65 depending on the conditions.

The Audi goes through anything when it has snow tires on... but you still need to be aware that stopping distance will still be greatly increased. Gotta plan your stops further in advance for safety.

That said, the rear sports differential adds to winter driving fun... love going into a turn with a little extra gas, getting the rear end swinging like a rwd car, then just a tap on the gas (the rear differential will send up to 80% of the rear power to the outside wheel in a turn) and the slide immediately stops and the car is going arrow straight in the new direction! :D

White knuckle driving at its finest. At least it probably kept you awake lol.

Ive also been hit head on by one of those dopes. 4 years old in the front middle seat of a beaver wagon= bad for your face/teeth/noggin. Paid for a new car when I was 18 though!
White knuckle driving is done off the most pleasurable driving experience you can have! The adrenaline, the focus... the accomplishment... awesome!

I remember back in 2011, when I still had my old Hyundai Tiburon, we had a nasty blizzard here in the twin cities...17 inches of snow. Yet my brother had a get together planned, and I was still determined to go. My Mom decided she didn't want to drive in that weather, but since i was going, she asked me to swing by her place to pick her up as well.

I live about 30 miles or so from her, she lives like 15-20 miles from my brother's place. Typically a 35-40 minute drive to her place... on the way there it was about an hour. It was still early, roads were already starting to get bad, but not downright terrible. My low riding front wheel drive car didn't have much issue.

The drive back was a completely different animal! The snow had become so heavy and winds so high, the state had to give up plowing, as there was no possible way to keep up. Only 1 other time in my life do I remember the state saying drive at your own risk, we're not plowing yet... and that was in 1991 when we had that 27 inch Halloween blizzard.

I was driving on a 4 lane divided highway, where the inside lane had had no traffic, no plowing, and unabated drifting... the snow was consistently above the roof of my car in that lane. The outside lane, only drivable because people had to drive somewhere, so it never had the chance to build a drift over it... was complete snowpack. Speed limit is 60 on this highway, but I couldn't get over 30 with confident enough traction not to bury my low fwd car just inches to either side. Had I slid even a little, I was going to be stuck for a very long time. It ended up taking me 2 hours of white knuckle driving to get home.

Hell, I wouldn't have made it into my own garage once there had they not been actively trying to keep up with the plowing in the neighborhood. Thank goodness I have a homeowner's association. I flagged down the plow driver, asked him to clear my driveway, he said no problem, a minute later was in the garage.

Had seen countless cars/ SUVs stuck everywhere, but here I was in my low riding fwd car with wider sport all season tires white knuckling it successfully without an issue. Driving all the way across town and back. ;)

It would still be white knuckle intensity today in the Audi if it happened, but might only take an hour and a half to get home instead of a full 2 hours... :laugh:

Last edited:

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I don't even go 80 on dry pavement unless the speed limit is 75...

You make it snow covered, chances are... on the highway I'll be going between 50-65 depending on the conditions.

The Audi goes through anything when it has snow tires on... but you still need to be aware that stopping distance will still be greatly increased. Gotta plan your stops further in advance for safety.

That said, the rear sports differential adds to winter driving fun... love going into a turn with a little extra gas, getting the rear end swinging like a rwd car, then just a tap on the gas (the rear differential will send up to 80% of the rear power to the outside wheel in a turn) and the slide immediately stops and the car is going arrow straight in the new direction! :D

White knuckle driving is done off the most pleasurable driving experience you can have! The adrenaline, the focus... the accomplishment... awesome!

I remember back in 2011, when I still had my old Hyundai Tiburon, we had a nasty blizzard here in the twin cities...17 inches of snow. Yet my brother had a get together planned, and I was still determined to go. My Mom decided she didn't want to drive in that weather, but since i was going, she asked me to swing by her place to pick her up as well.

I live about 30 miles or so from her, she lives like 15-20 miles from my brother's place. Typically a 35-40 minute drive to her place... on the way there it was about an hour. It was still early, roads were already starting to get bad, but not downright terrible. My low riding front wheel drive car didn't have much issue.

The drive back was a completely different animal! The snow had become so heavy and winds so high, the state had to give up plowing, as there was no possible way to keep up. Only 1 other time in my life do I remember the state saying drive at your own risk, we're not plowing yet... and that was in 1991 when we had that 27 inch Halloween blizzard.

I was driving on a 4 lane divided highway, where the inside lane had had no traffic, no plowing, and unabated drifting... the snow was consistently above the roof of my car in that lane. The outside lane, only drivable because people had to drive somewhere, so it never had the chance to build a drift over it... was complete snowpack. Speed limit is 60 on this highway, but I couldn't get over 30 with confident enough traction not to bury my low fwd car just inches to either side. Had I slid even a little, I was going to be stuck for a very long time. It ended up taking me 2 hours of white knuckle driving to get home.

Hell, I wouldn't have made it into my own garage once there had they not been actively trying to keep up with the plowing in the neighborhood. Thank goodness I have a homeowner's association. I flagged down the plow driver, asked him to clear my driveway, he said no problem, a minute later was in the garage.

Had seen countless cars/ SUVs stuck everywhere, but here I was in my low riding fwd car with wider sport all season tires white knuckling it successfully without an issue. Driving all the way across town and back. ;)

It would still be white knuckle intensity today in the Audi if it happened, but might only take an hour and a half to get home instead of a full 2 hours... :laugh:
Yikes. I havnt really cared if it snows in years with the Tahoe collection. Its almost calming being able to cruise around in the snow. Just gotta watch out for the other drivers.

My first white knuckle experience I was 16 in an '86 firebird. I had just completed a 12 hour shift and making a 5hr drive to Temagemi, ON in the dark for Xmas. It snowed the entire trip and the farther north I got, the worse it was. Winding roads, hills, the dark and snow all had me wired the whole trip. Hell I didnt even know if the car was gonna make it (just bought it and had the temp permit). Im lookin at the gf like how in the hell can you be sleeping right now?!

Well we made it in at about 4 a.m. I then had one of the best sleeps of my life...till I had to meet the in-laws lol

Reactions: TaLoN

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
A Mazda3 would be the same size as a Civic, is supposed to be far more enjoyable to drive than similar Japanese cars and more feature rich as well. I've heard that in the 3rd gen (2014-18ish), the reliability improved greatly. It's cheaper than a Corolla with similar mileage/year it seems so it's the one I'm looking at.

I was initially gonna go with a 2014/15 Elantra but a Mazda3 with the same mileage/year is only around $1K more expensive than an Elantra so why not. Only thing is that I haven't yet test driven one cos of Covid lol so maybe I won't even like it, I don't know.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Honda, VW, or Toyota. Choose your poison! I don't think you'll get a better bang for your buck than those brand names.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
idk

i generally drive fast no matter what in my tiny little Audi. the only thing i have to watch out for (assuming no stop-and-go) is deeper snow/burms/chunks because it's fairly low to the ground and you can go sideways if the car bounces up. I put 17"s with snow tires on in the winter and it's great. Usually only push it like that when there's little traffic out but generally go faster than most people. I remember feeling much less safe/in control than in previous cars going half the speed. That said my wife's outback is far superior in the snow--probably due to the ground clearance and weight.

My 2008 Honda civic has finally let go. Hated the car and will never believe anyone about how great and reliable they are. Looking for a commuter car. 2015-2018 under 80000km. What are the better cars that will last? I drive about 100km a day.

I absolutely hated my Impreza. Forget what year it is. So goddamn boring. reliable, yes. safe, sure. handled the snow just fine. went through oil like crazy. Audi/VW used to be riddled with problems but i've driven my s3 very hard for 60k miles now and haven't had any issues other than the keyless entry on the passenger side wouldn't work when it was raining (fixed under warranty). Had planned on trading it in for new after the warranty but it's just so solid (jinx) and fun I don't see any reason why I should now. Checks the box for both fun and reliability for me.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Another Honda or a Toyota are your best bet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad