Need help with NCAA Div.III

cjcanucks

May 4, 2009
If anyone knows NCAA Div.III hockey, I am looking for advice:

Putting the academic options aside (those have already been sorted out and are top priority) and now looking at the hockey programs, would you recommend a player go for a stronger overall conference even if the college team is mid-pack, or choose a top team in a weaker conference?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
What's your hope? If your hope is to get attention from any pro league, I'm not sure that it really matters. Not too many Division III players make the jump to any tier of pro hockey that I'm aware of, though I will readily admit that I don't pay attention to DIII hockey. I'd say that picking a college you just enjoy first and a coach you like second is more important than the conference overall, though. Winning is more fun than not winning obviously, but you'd also have more competition for ice time on a great team versus a middle of the pack squad in all likelihood.

cjcanucks

May 4, 2009
What's your hope? If your hope is to get attention from any pro league, I'm not sure that it really matters. Not too many Division III players make the jump to any tier of pro hockey that I'm aware of, though I will readily admit that I don't pay attention to DIII hockey. I'd say that picking a college you just enjoy first and a coach you like second is more important than the conference overall, though. Winning is more fun than not winning obviously, but you'd also have more competition for ice time on a great team versus a middle of the pack squad in all likelihood.
Nothing to do with pro hockey - that is not in the equation. Academics is the first priority but the programs look equally good so now looking at the hockey. Your point about liking the coach might be key. Committing to four years at an institution without a good read of the coach(es) might be the deciding factor.

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
If you have reached the point that pro hockey is not your future than you should pick the best school for academics. Education is the best investment you can make in your lifetime. Your future will greatly depend on it. If you get to play some reasonably good hockey along the way that is most certainly a terrific bonus.

I know you are looking at the education factor in the right way it would appear, so that aside, play where you will have the best experience. That will likely be with the team that wins the most or has a chance of winning the most. Winning = happy players = best coaches = best organizations. Having a shot at winning something meaningful does not come along everyday and that experience and memeory will last longer than playing a bunch of regular season games

That is some very good Dad advice there :)

Last edited:

nescacdad

Jan 19, 2018
All good feedback for you and as a D3 Dad, I'll offer you my two cents... First, as you are aware, find the strong academic schools. This will set up your son better for life ahead. Second, of those strong schools, find the attractive programs. Look for recent years records, position needs due to graduation, roster size (many coaches recruit a large roster -- lots of game day scratches), institution support, good interactions with coaches, etc. Third, narrow down the schools and visit them. This is most important. You want your son to get a feel for the campus, meet the team, exposed to the academics and assess whether they can be handled well with hockey, academic support (how do profs treat hockey players who have to miss classes on Fridays? how do teammates support each other academically? etc). Its a fair amount of work but you'll land at a good school, with a good hockey program where your son will play, and a place your son enjoys being at.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
He has achieved everything necessary hockeywise to be rewarded with the best educational carrot available. I would always go for the NESCAC conference schools in the East if available.. There are many great options. Milwaukee School of Engineering has a great program. The biggies in Wisconsin,...so many options, choose well.

Reactions: 3rdAssist

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Wow. Some real solid advice from everyone. Good job guys and I wish this young man success both on and off the ice.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
And now im a little bit confused about the class years.

How many years could actually player play in NCAA?

And there are nicknames for every year. Can you write it? Im always lost in this terms.

kij

Jan 31, 2016
And now im a little bit confused about the class years.

How many years could actually player play in NCAA?

And there are nicknames for every year. Can you write it? Im always lost in this terms.
You can somewhat play 5 years. I believe the rule is you can redshirt a year if you play less than 30% of the games due to injury that year, thereby gaining an additional year to play. Outside of redshirting (which is not very common in D# hockey) you simply have freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior players in that order.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Then what will be Matej Tomek next season?

2014-15 Topeka Roadrunners NAHL331.83.928| Playoffs73.20.876
2015-16 Univ. of North Dakota NCAA0--|
2016-17 Univ. of North Dakota NCAA27.46.692|
Slovakia U20 WJC-2023.50.913|
2017-18 Waterloo Black Hawks USHL292.47.904|
2018-19 Univ. of Nebraska-Omaha NCAA---|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Then what will be Matej Tomek next season?

2014-15 Topeka Roadrunners NAHL331.83.928| Playoffs73.20.876
2015-16 Univ. of North Dakota NCAA0--|
2016-17 Univ. of North Dakota NCAA27.46.692|
Slovakia U20 WJC-2023.50.913|
2017-18 Waterloo Black Hawks USHL292.47.904|
2018-19 Univ. of Nebraska-Omaha NCAA---|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He’d be a Redshirt Jr essentially.

15/16 was his freshman year, 16/17 his sophomore, 17/18 was his transfer year where he likely used his redshirt, 18/19 will be the start of his Redshirt Jr season.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
As a former student athlete and dad of a college freshman I would echo a lot of what has been said here. First and foremost comfort level with the school and the surrounding area. If they are outgoing and adventurous going to a school in the middle of nowhere will suck. The whole staff coaches, trainers, support staff. Support staff will help immensely with books and profs to steer clear of ... I got tips more then once concerning how to deal with profs who didnt care for athletes, sometimes you can't avoid it but you might be able to do a class as an intensive and get through it quicker. Trainers, trainers and also trainers. Don't forget to have fun, this time is a once in a lifetime opportunity looking back my dad tried to be all business and over stressed himself.

cjcanucks

May 4, 2009
An update: the advice given here was very helpful. My son narrowed down the schools and made some campus visits. Meeting the coaches face-to-face as well as some of the players was invaluable. Seeing the campuses and getting a feel for their layouts, being shown the classrooms and lecture halls was a real help. Bottom line, campus visits are a must for a D3 athlete. The real problem was choosing between two very good schools with two great coaches. Finally the choice was made and my son is now settling in and is happy with his decision. The older players have been a valuable resource in terms of course/study advice and there appears to be a good culture with regard to balance between school and hockey. Hoping this proves to be a great four years for a kid who was not ready to give up playing competitively and yes, there is a chance to win something meaningful so I hope that works out too. Thank you to all who replied.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@cjcanucks: Good luck to your son AND to his parents. No matter where this leads him, the experience will shape all of your lives. Get ready for the ride, and enjoy the journey.

P.S. - Your: "Seeing the campuses and getting a feel for their layouts, being shown the classrooms and lecture halls was a real help" applies to any potential college student, whether student-athlete or strictly academic. Campus visits are the only way to truly gauge whether the student will be comfortable with her or his environment. Without that comfort, college life will be a constant struggle. Save all that for the REAL world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->