Need Help Quickly

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by Rizzy13, Sep 15, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Rizzy13

Rizzy13 Registered User

Hey guys... i'm starting evaluations for house league hockey today and i really want to get a stick before then. a few questions tho, they dont have many sticks on sale at sportchek right now and these are just basic evaluations before the actual season starts. i have one this week and next week, do you think a sale will start up within in the next two weeks with hockey just around the corner? Also i need help deciding which stick to get.

I had a koho revolution i got for $60 five years ago and it was fine but the blade chipped REALLY quickly and i still have it and i'm currently using it. I had a CCM Vector Ovi stick from 5 years ago that was $100 and it lasted me 5 years until earlier this summer where it finally snapped. I'm really struggling with which stick to buy. My main concern is durability because i simply cant afford to have a stick breaking. I'm hoping to spend $100. The main stick i've been looking at is the bauer x-40 and i heard its great for $100 price point but i heard a few times that it breaks easily, but i guess everyone is different with sticks. tahts really the only stick i've been looking at. Right now pro hockey life has the easton synergy eq40 on sale for $90 from 189.99. THey also have the BAUER SUPREME ONE75 SE GRIP on sale $100 from 150. They have the bauer x40 for $100 which is its normal price. But i really wanna get a stick from sportchek for SPC and i just like them better unelss these two deals are really good. Sportchek has the Easton Stealth S17 Grip Composite Hockey Stick Sakic 85 Flex Senior on sale for $130 from $190.

I just really need help picking a stick. i'm confident in bauer and the x40. I'm a senior stick user by the way. I just want to make sure the stick will last me the full season and more, and i guess i want it to last long based on how long my previous 2 sticks lasted. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. AIREAYE

AIREAYE Moderator

How tall are you/what flex do you use?

There are a lot of good sticks at that range. Where do you live btw? If you're near Mississauga, drop by Hockey Experts Dixie on saturday afternoon, I'll help you out :)

3. Wilch

Wilch Unregistered User

Make sure you get the right flex. Try comparing prices on eBay and icewarehouse/hockeymonkey. Sometimes the 2010 or older high end sticks can come cheap, the curve/flex may be limited though.

I got a Easton Synergy ST for about $130. Although I've only used it for 3 drop-in games and several practices, it's a light stick and seems quite durable (already trying out slapshots with it, and I'm a complete n00b so...).

4. OvenChicken8

OvenChicken8 Registered User

2 weeks ago I was able to buy a Bauer one95 stickum for 125 + tax. Best stick I've ever had.

5. Rizzy13

Rizzy13 Registered User

Hey... yea i'm in mississauga! i think i'm around 5'10 and to be honest. i dont know or care about the flex. i like having a higher flex range i guess over 85 because i play unspeakable amounts of ball hockey and i feel comfortable with those kinds of sticks. and i dont know alot about flexes or anything. i literally just play. my shot was never that good in ice hockey because i go to the net alot and score all my goals like that but it wouldnt hurt having a nice shot! and sure i'll try dropping by this saturday if i got the car! thanks!

and i dont wanna order online because i dont got a credit card. i could have gotten the bauer x40 for $100 at sportchek with a $20 gift card a week ago but i hesitated :/

6. Jarick

Jarick Doing Nothing

Home Page:
    IMO, in order from best to worst:

S17
    EQ40
    One75
    X40

All pretty decent sticks, the S17 is high end though.

7. duul

duul Registered User

Sportcheck in Scarborough was selling one95's and s17's for like 129 bucks.

8. ChiTownHawks

ChiTownHawks Registered User

Engineer
    I've had 2 X40s for about 6 months now. One just broke in my last game and the other one is showing some signs of wear and will probably break soon as there is a crack where the blade and the shaft meet.

The last 2 sticks I picked up were the Winnwell GX8 and the Sher-wood T90. The GX8 is $99 and the T90 is $129. I've heard good things about both but have minimal experience with them. I've used the Winnwell a couple times, and it's alright but I got the whip flex and the Sakic curve. Both of which are too extreme for me. I am looking forward to trying my T90 in tonights game. It is a much conservative stick.

9. Rizzy13

Rizzy13 Registered User

thanks everyone for the replies. what about the eq40? any thoughts on that? its marked down pretty good!

10. NomadFan

NomadFan Registered User

Wow...I wish my LHS still had leftover stocks of S17's and one95's, AND at that price...

I'll throw a vote for the Easton ST. Not the best performing stick I've ever used, but those things are built to last.

*edit*

Again, this is personal experience, but I'm mixed about S17's. One of the best performing sticks I've ever used, but I had lots of issues with durability (as did others). At the very least, the blades they used went soft pretty quickly.

11. duul

duul Registered User

There's about 15-20 one95's but they're all p92's :shakehead

12. Stickmata

Stickmata Registered User

My S19s have been very durable. Great stick, so I'd recommend the S17. I think the Sakic curve is a little strong for me though.

13. AIREAYE

AIREAYE Moderator

Ask for Eric :) see ya then hopefully

14. Guffaw

Guffaw Registered User

I love the Easton S17 and S19. Money is tight though so using an S15 and an S7 as it's backup at the moment.

My teammate has had the same 2 Easton ST's forever. Man are they durable.

If I can find S17's for $130 I would buy one.

15. Rizzy13

Rizzy13 Registered User

Between the Easton Stealth S17 Grip Composite Hockey Stick Sakic 85 Flex (senior) for $129.99 and the Easton Synergy SE16 Non-Grip Composite Hockey Stick Sakic 85 Flex (senior) for also $129.99, which stick do you guys think is better in general but more importantly is more durable? i know the SE16 is wrapped in kevlar and can last long. As for the S17 I'm not sure, but i know they wrapped the S19 in kevlar to have it be more durable. Any input?

Sorry :$ its a tough decision for me

16. Rizzy13

Rizzy13 Registered User

Also, the SE16 is regular price $229.99 and its on sale for $129.99 and the S17 is regular price $189.99 and it's on sale for $129.99

17. Wilch

Wilch Unregistered User

Might wanna give eBay a shot too in case you haven't tried, sometimes they offer pretty decent prices there (better than retailers).

18. thedonger

thedonger Registered User

durability-wise, i'd give a slight edge to the se16 as the s17 was notorious for shaft breakage. but, the se16 is also known to have some durability issues in the blade.

performance/feel-wise, it's completely apples and oranges. there's a reason why some of the leading companies are going to 2 separate lines of top-end sticks...ie easton with the stealth and synergy lines, bauer with the vapor and supreme, reebok with the k and ai, etc.

19. Pedagogue

Pedagogue Registered User

What store/where??

20. Rizzy13

Rizzy13 Registered User

sportchek! i just got the SE16 with the zetterberg curve 85 flex (the only flex). They had iggy, sakic and zetterberg. The sakic curve looked really nice but i think it might be too much for me. hopefully the zetterberg one works out.

thanks for the replies everyone! really appreciate it!