OT: Need help moving to Vancouver

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I was ideally looking for a studio apartment but at this point I've been open to all potential options. Not really familiar with Vancouver as I've only been a few times so I don't know where West Van is relative to UBC.

Ya unfortunately the most expensive of all the schools across Canada.
Not close at all. You have to go over a bridge, through downtown, and over another bridge.

Not exactly cheap, but look at Richmond, no more expensive then Vancouver and gives you more options, and the commute isn't bad.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Cheapest option would be a shared house in West Kits, 15 minute bus from campus. $500-800 rent for a room in a 2bdr basement suite does exist there, though you won't find it in classifieds. If i were you, I'd find something that doesn't require a lease, and network for the first few months while you are at UBC. Chances are you will land something more affordable pretty quickly if you have the option to move out after you have been here a few months. You'll meet tons of people at UBC that you can share a place with who you know won't be troublesome. Turnover in Vancouver is crazy, so there's always stuff opening up. I pay $550 for rent and I'm living a 5 minute walk to downtown, and my roommates are great.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
Get an apartment near a skytrain. If you don't have work here that is pay 25 bucks an hour plus, do yourself a favour and stay at home. Vancouver is overhyped.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
u dont wana kno how much $ I'm paying and how many ppl were interested

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Hollyburn owns lots of buildings and you might find some listings here:
http://www.hollyburn.com/

One suggestion I haven't seen for you yet is the South Granville area. There are a ton of little 3 story apartment buildings from 6th Ave to King Edward and between Granville and Cambie. (Actually, there are a bunch of similar places between Cambie and Main too.)

It's not the most glamorous area, but it's a great staging point out to campus, downtown, the VGH area, etc. And, while not cheap, it's not always outlandish in cost either (as compared to other areas). Lots of residents and grad students in that area too.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If I were you I would probably look for a place in Kitsilano.

I think you mentioned a Studio being appealing to you on the last page. I would look for something like this: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/apa/5590887443.html

Its located right on West 4th, which is where you want to be in Kits. Close enough to UBC and you would have a blast living in that area.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
If I were you I would probably look for a place in Kitsilano.

I think you mentioned a Studio being appealing to you on the last page. I would look for something like this: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/apa/5590887443.html

Its located right on West 4th, which is where you want to be in Kits. Close enough to UBC and you would have a blast living in that area.

What?!?! I remember *****ing about spending 1k for a 1100 sq/ft 2bdrm condo in downtown some 8 years ago.

:laugh:

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Don't bother looking anywhere other than Kerrisdale or Kits. It'll make your life easier being close to UBC. I have a friend that's about to rent out a one bedroom apartment in Kits but I think it'll be expensive. It's right on the water across from the beach.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
When you arrive, just walk around the west end for a while. Eventually you'll find a suitable multi-million dollar house that is vacant and rotting where you can squat.

But in all seriousness, it's hard to give advice without knowing your budget. If you're looking for a one bedroom off campus, the best prices are found by walking around neighbourhoods with older buildings and calling the numbers on the vacancy sings. Some of those don't even get put online and you can get lucky as far as price goes.

If you're looking to split costs with a roommate, either Craigslist or bite the bullet and rent a 2 bedroom yourself and sub-let the other room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad