Need help getting started with scraping and analyzing stuff

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I am looking for any advice and help with how to get started with scraping info from sites like NHL.com (namely the PbP and JSON files) and once scraped what to do with it to answer the questions I might have.

I have a brief and vague idea of the steps involved, first would be scraping the information I am looking for, storing that info in a useful way, then crunching the numbers/analysis. Problem is, I am totally lost in how to actually do these things.

I consider myself pretty technically savy but I have no background in anything like programming or statistics which I am sure would certainly apply here.

Any advice or ideas where to start would be appreciated.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I've been in a similar boat (90% through lack of time or more time-sensitive projects) - have been attempting to scrape the AHL website for a few things in back years (backup goaltenders, sweater numbers, shots and goals by period, empty-net goals) and haven't been able to get it all together.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I am looking for any advice and help with how to get started with scraping info from sites like NHL.com (namely the PbP and JSON files) and once scraped what to do with it to answer the questions I might have.

I have a brief and vague idea of the steps involved, first would be scraping the information I am looking for, storing that info in a useful way, then crunching the numbers/analysis. Problem is, I am totally lost in how to actually do these things.

I consider myself pretty technically savy but I have no background in anything like programming or statistics which I am sure would certainly apply here.

Any advice or ideas where to start would be appreciated.
u can use the thing in EvolvingWild's pinned tweet i think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad