Need help/advice for computer selection

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I'm relatively knowledgeable of computers when compared to the average person, but I'm by no means knowledgeable compared to people with comprehensive knowledge. I'm in the last couple semesters of school and I've managed to get by with just a Chromebook thus far, but I've had to work around it's limitations. The bulk of my remaining classes have to be online or hybrid classes though so I need a school computer that has what I need with the lowest cost possible.

What I need:

-Java capable
-Internet usage/web browsing
-Microsoft office (Word and PowerPoint namely)
-USB drive(s)
-Portability is nice, but not necessary
-Little maintenance/reliable
-Relatively cheap, I can spend though so as to not sacrifice needed quality or features

Please and thank you to anyone who can suggest something that fits and is cost-effective or just point me in the right direction.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Just about anything will do that, probably even down to $200 or so, a Core i3 system could likely be found for around $300-400, a Core i5 closer to $400-500. AMD is also an option, but Intel still generally beats them in power efficiency and thus have better battery life.

Only difference between those CPUs, are that the i5's support turbo boost clocks, the i3's don't. Both support hyper threading. Otherwise, my other recommendation would be try and get 8 GB at a min, and also something were you could still replace the RAM, HD/SSD, because you may want to upgrade or things do break.

Examples:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...-1tb-hard-drive-black/5588602.p?skuId=5588602

https://www.microsoftstore.com/stor...-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.333089700

Depending on how often you take notes, a touch screen could be handy, I so wish I had a touch screen when I was in school, as I think Onenote is one of the best things from MS, as I can type and/or draw figures and diagrams, but save everything electronically.

I went from a Core i3 in my old laptop to an i7 with my new one, and there's generally little difference between them for most tasks - most time is spent in Chrome, so all I care about is decent web browsing. Only the odd game or if I'm working with photos do I notice the difference.

If all you're going to use it for is school, I probably wouldn't spend a whole lot, higher prices are going to get things like backlit KB, 1080p screens, built-in SSD, bit thinner though.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I agree a cheap touchscreen laptop is the way to go for school. save you a lot of headaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad