need for speed

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I mean... Raffl is fast, is a good PKer and one of the better forecheckers on the team...

But they have a lot more speed coming up-front in the near future.

What would be interesting to see is a list of our prospects in order from fastest to Water Bear. I guess you'd have to determine the parameters for "fastest," but that would be interesting. I'd like to think the rankings would be better than in our prospect poll, which is a complete disaster this year.

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What would be interesting to see is a list of our prospects in order from fastest to Water Bear. I guess you'd have to determine the parameters for "fastest," but that would be interesting. I'd like to think the rankings would be better than in our prospect poll, which is a complete disaster this year.

In terms of traditional "fastest" for speed/acceleration maybe.....

Forwards:

Frost
NAK
Lycksell
Allison/Twarynski
Ratcliffe
O'Brien
Kase
Farabee/Rubtsov/Sushko
Vorobyev/Laczynski
Cates
Bunnaman
Strome

Defense:

Myers
Friedman
Morin
Wylie
Kalynuk
Hogberg
Ginning
St. Ivany/Bernhardt

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wyatte Wylie is the actual worst name.

George Carlin would have a f***ing field day with that name.

Last edited:
Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Wyatte Wylie is the actual worst name.

Pffffft that's a cool name. It's got alliteration and rolls off the tongue. He sounds like a cartoon character or Wild West outlaw.

Wyatt Kalynuk is a worse use of the name Wyatt tbh, though having two Wyatts (....Wyatti?) is neat. Linus Hogberg is up there. So is Jack St. Ivany. I mean that's a cool name to one extent, but it's pretentious too. That's the most stereotypical Yale sounding name ever. But the correct answer is Olle Lycksell. Olle is a cool first name, but combined with that last name, he sounds like the second cousin of Augustus Gloop. I see that name and I think: fat boy eating ice cream in a bowl AND cone.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Pffffft that's a cool name. It's got alliteration and rolls off the tongue. He sounds like a cartoon character or Wild West outlaw.

Wyatt Kalynuk is a worse use of the name Wyatt tbh, though having two Wyatts (....Wyatti?) is neat. Linus Hogberg is up there. So is Jack St. Ivany. I mean that's a cool name to one extent, but it's pretentious too. That's the most stereotypical Yale sounding name ever. But the correct answer is Olle Lycksell. Olle is a cool first name, but combined with that last name, he sounds like the second cousin of Augustus Gloop. I see that name and I think: fat boy eating ice cream in a bowl AND cone.

You shut your mouth. Olle Lycksell is a saint with the name of an angel.

Reactions: Angry Hockey Dad

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You shut your mouth. Olle Lycksell is a saint with the name of an angel.

z4V4MNE.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Forwards:

Frost
NAK
Lycksell
Allison/Twarynski
Ratcliffe
O'Brien - is he really that slow?
Kase
Farabee/Rubtsov/Sushko
Vorobyev/Laczynski
Cates
Bunnaman
Strome

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
is he really that slow?

I think JOB might be quicker spinning in corners than a couple guys ahead of him, but strictly in terms of speed, who above him is so insulting? Those are pretty good skaters. I just listed them in the order I vaguely thought; I didn't specify the degree to which each player is separated. Some there's more, some there's less of a gap. I had this conversation in the prospects thread, but if people think he's a Konecny roadrunner, I'm not of that mind. He's a good skater, and I think where I ranked him reflects that.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Interesting how good Ratcliffe is, especially at his size, and playing C yesterday.
Don't really think of him as a center, but with that size and speed, it's a thought!
Even if only to intimate Sidney.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Interesting how good Ratcliffe is, especially at his size, and playing C yesterday.
Don't really think of him as a center, but with that size and speed, it's a thought!
Even if only to intimate Sidney.

You can cool your unicorn jets because he didn't play center. I can't even imagine him at center because he plays nothing like a center.

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I thought I saw him at center for one shift, maybe he was just skating down the center of the ice, but he looked impressive, smooth glider for a guy that size.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
Speed isn’t just about fast players either. It’s about high skill, high IQ guys who can execute plays at a high speed. I’ll take team speed with size over fast guys any day. Though you need a good blend of both.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Speed is more impressive at lower levels, and in the regular season v the playoffs.
The "smaller" the ice, the less speed matters.
But quickness and agility may be more important, both feet and hands, because more play is happening in a short area.
Then again, maybe not? Some surprising names on the following list, especially 400 or more minutes, which is unlikely to be a one playoff series fluke.

Top 5x5 pp/60 playoff scorers since 2008 (200+ minutes, bold is 400+, * is 800+):

Guentzel 3.40
Pastrnak 3,33
Briere 2.81
Downie 2.74
Leino 2.68
MacKinnon 2.67
Bergenheim 2.61
Benn 2.59
Umberger 2.52
Horton 2.52
Crosby 2.51*
Fabbri 2.46
T Johnson 2.45*
R Smith 2.42
R Bourque 2.40
Ryder 2.37
Jokinen 2.36
Kucherov 2.32*
Marchessault 2.28
Purcell 2.25
Point 2.24
Kane 2.23*
Savard 2.22
Prospal 2.19
Krejci 2.19*
Guerin 2.16
Larose 2.15
Franzen 2.14*
Marchand 2.13*
Doan 2.12
Satan 2.12
Malkin 2.10*
Radulov 2.10
Kessel 2.09*
Carcillo 2.08
Asham 2.07
Wolski 2.05
Landeskog 2.05
Haula 2.05
Matthews 2.04
J Williams 2.04*
Ward 2.04*
Lecavelier 2.02
Bergeron 2.02*

Bencosy

Jun 22, 2018
Philly

Forwards:

Frost
NAK
Lycksell
Allison/Twarynski
Ratcliffe
O'Brien
Kase
Farabee/Rubtsov/Sushko
Vorobyev/Laczynski
Cates
Bunnaman
Strome

Regarding Allison ... Strictly going off his youtube highlights and a couple in-person viewings at development camp, I kind of considered Allison's skating as "good for a guy his size." Am I undervaluing his skating? That was the only one that kind of surprised me on your list (being ahead of JOB that is).

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Regarding Allison ... Strictly going off his youtube highlights and a couple in-person viewings at development camp, I kind of considered Allison's skating as "good for a guy his size." Am I undervaluing his skating? That was the only one that kind of surprised me on your list (being ahead of JOB that is).

I don't think Allison is a great all-around skater, but in terms of up ice, he's pretty dang good. Deep knee bend, long stride, lots of power. He can separate off the rush in straight lines. I grouped him with Twar because I think they're similar. Like I said above though, the degree of separation between some guys I listed can be a lot or a little. I don't think there's much in that area. I'm sure I could shift a name or two if I rethought it. But, yes, Wade is a dangerous skater off the rush. Pre-ACL anyway.

Lot of rush clips in his highlight reel. There's a handful of good clips, but 3:20 especially comes to mind.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Twarynski is that good of a skater, and he's developed a scorer's touch, definitely someone to keep an eye on in LHV.
Maybe the scouts made a better choice than we thought, a guy with all around skills who just had to refine his shooting.

Not saying he's a top six guy, but a 4th line mucker who can give you 10-15 goals is invaluable for a long playoff run - because in the playoffs these kind of guys get the favorable matchups and often score more than the regular season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad