Need advice for used car

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I bought a 2013 top-of-the-line Corolla early last year with 30K miles (which comes out to 48K km) so it's not impossible. I paid around $11,000 US dollars. The one you linked appears to be the base model so the price isn't so low that I'd be suspicious of anything.

Having said that, if I had to do it all over again, I would go back and buy a 9th generation model, which I believe ended with the 2008. They seem a little better put together.

I am far from a Toyota fanboy but if you're needing a car you can just drive and drive forever and never have to worry about anything going wrong, Corolla/Camry is definitely the way to go. They are not "fun" and you'll be like every other clone on the road but they're cheap, they never break down and resale is really good.

What makes you believe that? Have you noticed anything annoying with your 2013 model? Also, are the 9th gen so better well put together that it's worth buying a car that is 5 years older? We're talking about a 10 years old car if from 2008, I find that scary.

But your comment scares me too lol You seem worried/unsatisfied.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'm not unsatisfied with the car. It has a couple of rattles and squeaks, nothing major.

The biggest difference to me is the road noise. I think they used to put more insulation and soundproofing material. I definitely noticed a difference from driving a friend's 2006. It drove about the same but it was much quieter, especially out on the highway, than mine. Little things like the way the door handles feel when you pull them. Stuff like that. Nothing mechanical. I believe it's pretty much the same car underneath from about 2003 to the present model.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I'm not unsatisfied with the car. It has a couple of rattles and squeaks, nothing major.

The biggest difference to me is the road noise. I think they used to put more insulation and soundproofing material. I definitely noticed a difference from driving a friend's 2006. It drove about the same but it was much quieter, especially out on the highway, than mine. Little things like the way the door handles feel when you pull them. Stuff like that. Nothing mechanical. I believe it's pretty much the same car underneath from about 2003 to the present model.

road noise couldn't be somewhat fixed by different tires? I seem to recall different tires making a huge difference in my civic as far as road noise went. Not a reason to buy a new set of tires but worth noting if you're due for a change anyway.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Brand new tires, no more than 3 weeks old. Good ones too. Some of the noise was the old tires, but not all of it. Noise is still there. I think they just cheaped out on the noise reduction material. I may get some Dynamat, the stuff they use in stereo installations. It's pretty amazing stuff.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Late, but I bought him a Corolla 2010.Works great, everything is good.

Thanks everyone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad