Need a new computer

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
The time has come to get a new computer. I think I have decided on a laptop as i need the portability and I don't mind spoiling myself a bit...i've just been browsing on my phone for months now.

Ideally i would like to be able to play some games on it but they don't have to be top of the line settings...mostly it will be an entertainment pc.

What does everyone think about this one? Buy Huawei Matebook X Pro Laptop - Microsoft Store en-CA

Ballpark budget is 2k CDN

I've gotten suggestions from friends to get something from the Surface family while they appear very sleak they seem a bit overpriced

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
It all depends on what your priorities are. Even though the listing says the laptop is VR ready with its MX150 graphics - they're lying through their teeth.

If you want small and sleek, you're going to pay for it. If you want something bigger - which is actually a benefit for gaming - and want some video power, you can do substantially better than that.

There's nothing wrong with small and sleek - if that fits your specific use - but it's really going to limit some of the things you can do with it.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Here's another laptop - I suspect you are after the smaller and sleeker, so you may not want it, but it's just to give you an idea of what is out there. The screen is a little bigger - 15.6 inches (17.3 is an option too), it has a significantly better processor, and it has a video card that really truly IS VR ready - but it's brushing up against your $2000 limit. There are cheaper ones out there with the same size screen, similar processors, and lesser video cards that are still VR capable if need be, I just wanted to show you something from the opposing extreme of what you posted.

ASUS ROG GL503VS-DH74 15.6" 144 Hz IPS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 16 GB Memory 256 GB SSD 1 TB SSHD HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop - Newegg.ca

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
What kind of games would you play on it? For entertainment purposes and some great old games your 2k budget is way too much.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
What kind of games would you play on it? For entertainment purposes and some great old games your 2k budget is way too much.

I mean i may play some starcraft 2 and maybe some of the older fallout games..maybe skyrim? Last gen games.

Would be nice to play some of the new stuff but I wouldnt need max settings

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I mean i may play some starcraft 2 and maybe some of the older fallout games..maybe skyrim? Last gen games.

Would be nice to play some of the new stuff but I wouldnt need max settings
MSI GF63 8RD-NE1050Ti 15.6" IPS Intel Core i7 8th Gen 8750H (2.20 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 8 GB Memory 16 GB Optane Memory 1 TB HDD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit Gaming Laptop-- ONLY @ NEWEGG - Newegg.ca

$1330 - 15'6" screen - still likely more of a laptop than you need, but cheaper than the one you linked, and with a drastically more powerful video card - and a better processor. Not as sleek and small as the one you linked.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
There's nothing wrong with grabbing a Surfacebook, small and sleek and it can play those games. i7 / 256gb would work.

There's also nothing wrong with the ASUS Rog suggestions or a previous generation Razer + eGPU once you could afford it.

Personally, I buy laptops for portability and sleekness. I don't want a beefy machine I hear or hate to look at. I've always spent $2k+ on my laptops and they last for a long long time. My Surfacebook is still running strong, can play all those games and no issues. I also use a Macbook Pro primarily for work these days. I couldn't go back to anything big.

The best setup to me is a small laptop with enough power to hook up to a pair of monitors. Those external GPUs are going to be the future for that style.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
A Trusted Brand for Gaming Laptops | Sager Notebooks

I beefed mine up quite a bit, but for $2k USD, you should be right in the ballpark. These things are amazing! Best laptop I've ever owned.
I've heard good things about Sager - I think he's looking at $2k CDN though - which still might get him a solid one.

@CokenoPepsi - the first thing I would suggest is figuring out how important form factor is to you, and if it is quite important, which one you want. The one you posted, or any laptop using onboard video is going to be quite limited - but from Lonewolf's post, it sounds like the games you want to play in particular would be fine. If you never need any real graphical grunt, and the sleek, attractive notebook is what you want, a Surfacebook would probably be a good option. If you're not so concerned with having that specific form factor, there are cheaper, more powerful options. Nothing wrong with going either way, just a matter of figuring out where your priorities are.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I will say out of all the devices I have felt in the surface line easily felt the most comfortable.

If i were to get that it comes with Nvidia GTX 1050 on the 13.5 model and that would be enough to play some newer games like fallout 4 and Gears 4right? (Not at max).

I notice they are having a sale at the moment which probably means a new one is coming soon right?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If you're in the ballpark of 2,000 for a laptop, I highly recommend the MSI models. I haven't had one personally, but one of my best friends is a tech nerd who has owned a lot of laptops and keeps coming back to MSI.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
I will say out of all the devices I have felt in the surface line easily felt the most comfortable.

If i were to get that it comes with Nvidia GTX 1050 on the 13.5 model and that would be enough to play some newer games like fallout 4 and Gears 4right? (Not at max).

I notice they are having a sale at the moment which probably means a new one is coming soon right?
It won't play those games at max settings, but looking at the system requirements for those games, yes, it would play them. You could always researcher further into each game, and how it would perform (ie frames per second) on that particular hardware, but if you're not too concerned with detail settings, you're probably fine with a 1050. To put it in perspective, I played FO4, in 1080p, with a 760m, with mostly satisfactory results. The 1050 blows it out of the water.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Yeah I wouldn't need max settings at all.. I mean i've only really gamed on consoles and i've skipped this gen entirely so far.

Reactions: Kestrel

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Dell has some decent deals on right now if you don't have anything against them.

This has a i7-8750H CPU, 6GB 1060, 128 GB SSD windows drive, 1TB regular HD storage drive, etc.

Can handle anything on the market at 1080p in very good graphics.

New Dell G5 15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad