Speculation: Need a New Coach: John Tortorella

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
guaranteed he will be hired somewhere this year lol
Yeah, he probably will. Doesn't make what Stephen said any less correct.

And let's be completely honest here; Tortorella only won a single Cup, with a stacked pre-cap era roster that was one of the deepest around at that time. Otherwise, he hasn't really been successful anywhere, and he seems to wear out his welcome faster than the average coach.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
There was an article on the Athletic a while back where they surveyed a bunch of anonymous ex-CBJs about the team and the what they basically said about Tortorella was basically "good motivator, bad tactician".

Reactions: Menzinger

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Yeah, he probably will. Doesn't make what Stephen said any less correct.

And let's be completely honest here; Tortorella only won a single Cup, with a stacked pre-cap era roster that was one of the deepest around at that time. Otherwise, he hasn't really been successful anywhere, and he seems to wear out his welcome faster than the average coach.
oh ya I agree, was just saying some team will hire him...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There was an article on the Athletic a while back where they surveyed a bunch of anonymous ex-CBJs about the team and the what they basically said about Tortorella was basically "good motivator, bad tactician".

He's the guy who can get a bad team to tread water with a lineup of vet grinders but he's not one that you bring in to have sustained success.

If the #1 motivator for getting a coach is that he's going to be harder on players, then he's already a bad choice. Because there of plenty of guys who fall under that category but can also adapt their systems and tactics when needed.

Paired with the fact he mentally can't deal with media pressure (imagine if tried walking out on a press conference in Toronto lol) signals to me he'd be a pretty lousy fit with the team

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Torts is not the right coach for the Leafs.
Would be interesting if Shanny is willing to bring in someone like Dougie or Clark to come in

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
I want Torts just for the entertainment value. He and the media going at it especially Simmons would be pure gold.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I dont think that is a good idea. We have seen what he does to star young players. He derailed Dubois's and Laine's career. I do not want any of that on the remaining players on our roster. I think there will be change needed in the coaching ranks and players. But Tort's isnt the answer.

To be honest I would be ok keeping Keefe as he works well with the players and has implemented a strategy that works. But I would definitely swap out the assistants. Maholtra has no business being in charge of the PP. Go hire someone like Martin St. Louis to be an assistant. Go hire Boudreau to deal with defense and PK.

I really think Keefe is the answer behind the bench. I just feel the help he needs isnt there. Swapping out assistants and trading a player or 2 from the core is the way to go. I think it would be a mistake to let Keefe go. It would be Paul Maurice all over again. Give him another season at the very least.
Participation Ribbons Forever! We're Special!

Reactions: mikeyz

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I actually agree. We got outworked last year in the Columbus series - we had the puck a lot but wouldn’t sacrifice and get into the danger areas, got kept to the outside. And this year, we got badly outworked with the series on the line in games 5, 6 and 7 - really didn’t compete.

I think Keefe has mostly good systems, and had us generally playing good D, but he’s a players coach, and I don’t think that’s what this group needs right now. They need a hard ass, and Torts is the best there is in that category. We need roster changes too, but compete level in the playoffs is a major issue for us, and I think Torts would be a step in the right direction.

Even if a hard-ass coach doesn't work, at least the players will be miserable. Some karma for what they've done to this franchise and its fans.

Reactions: LeafsRus

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
He'd be foolish to leave. Without playoff success here though, he may feel "what's the difference if I fail here or somewhere else?" He might have even lost faith in his own linemates. Imagine that?

This is why this team needed to get over the hump this year. It's quite embarrassing, even though a healthy Tavares keeps lines the same and the chances of Leafs winning goes up at least 25%.
You assume Matthews cares about winning at all.

Reactions: saffronleaf

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I think his ego is too big to let him go to Arizona or any other team outside of the Leafs. Rangers is a pipe dream and they won't have the cap space when he's a UFA. LA looks like they're going into a massive rebuild in 3 years' time and they don't really have any big-time prospects that look like they're about to take off. Kopitar will probably be retired. Byfield and co look decent as prospects but haven't really hit the ground running. Unless the Leafs continue to lose in the final 3 years of Auston's contract, his best situation for winning is in TO. If the Leafs continue to suck, he will probably be the biggest reason for it and will easily get run out of town. In either case, I don't think it really matters right now.
Another poster who assumes Matthews cares about team goals. He's a selfish me first money player, period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad