Prospect Info: Necas or Zykov...who is better?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Both are very different players.

Zykov is a big boy with soft hands who gets to the dirty areas and is hard to knock off the puck. Pretty pure finisher.

Necas is fast, seems to have good vision, and is a lot smaller.

I could see Zykov putting up 20g 25a this year and Necas more of a 15g 35 assist season. I think Zykov is more likely to hit 45 pts than Necas 50.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I think Zykov will be a good player but if Necas isn't the better AINEC player eventually it will be a big disappointment. Or Zykov will have really overachieved.

I wouldn't say Zykov overachieved if he has production during his career similar to Necas. Necas was seen as a top 10 pick, Zykov was seen by some as a first rounder (for instance Larry Fisher at the Hockey Writers had him at 18 prior to the 2013 draft).

Zykov has taken a few years to reach his potential, but it has been there. Playing with Aho and Teravainen he could become a consistent 25-goal scorer. If Necas ends up centering Svechnikov and a LW like Foegele or Kuokkanen--then 20 goals and 45 assists could be a "typical" year.

While they have dissimilar skills, there is no reason not to think both can't be the Canes' #4/5 offensive weapon for the next 5-8 years.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm just comparing them by their current trajectories. Necas was a borderline top 10 pick and is slated to make the NHL as a 19 year old, while Zykov was a second round pick and is "only" now making the NHL as a 23 year old. One is a center that seems very well rounded as a player, while the other is winger that seems to have a more limited use as a player. It's not that I'm really selling Zykov short, it's just that Necas has star/high end 1st line potential as a center. Zykov could be a really good player, even potentially a 20-30 goal scorer but if Necas reaches his potential he will still probably be the more well-rounded, valuable player.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Which one should I pick for my fantasy team?

Svechnikov....gone already....then Foegele.

We should be signing McElhinney quick

Which one....McGoalie or Quick....I confuse....

I'm just comparing them by their current trajectories. Necas was a borderline top 10 pick and is slated to make the NHL as a 19 year old, while Zykov was a second round pick and is "only" now making the NHL as a 23 year old. One is a center that seems very well rounded as a player, while the other is winger that seems to have a more limited use as a player. It's not that I'm really selling Zykov short, it's just that Necas has star/high end 1st line potential as a center. Zykov could be a really good player, even potentially a 20-30 goal scorer but if Necas reaches his potential he will still probably be the more well-rounded, valuable player.

I actually think this reflects a common fallacy....that one has to be bette than the other because they play an inherently different game. I actually thing their careers will be similar in production with Necas providing more helpers and Zykov, more goals. But in the long run, I think you're going to see 50-60 points as the top end for both of these guys.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I actually think this reflects a common fallacy....that one has to be bette than the other because they play an inherently different game. I actually thing their careers will be similar in production with Necas providing more helpers and Zykov, more goals. But in the long run, I think you're going to see 50-60 points as the top end for both of these guys.
I think we're overrating Zykov if we think he's going to produce that much. Necas has a much better chance to hit 60 points eventually, and if he does it as a center it's pretty much a no brainer he's the better and more valuable player.

I'd be happy if Zykov could score 20 goals, 40 points eventually. If that's all Necas can do, it will be a disappointment.
Just my opinion though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad