Nearing 40 and minor injuries piling up: Anyone else?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I totally agree. Instead of getting frustrated or bummed out about it I'm just going to deal with each injury and try and prevent it from happening again. Getting my skates punched and better pants are half of it. I've stopped diving for pucks and don't look to initiate contact as much. I think alot of it is just that I'm not used to it. I went from nothing to playing pretty hard 2-3X per week so it will take me some time.

Thanks for your incite.

I think as we get older you really have to experiment more and you cannot get away from the game from long periods. Once a week, minimum. There really is no reason we can't keep playing at the same level with all that is available to us now.

trtaylor

May 5, 2010
Sorry guys I'm going to have to disagree there. Static stretch warm muscles only. Pre game I do dynamic stretching to help get my core temperature up, leg swings front to back, side to side, trunk rotations, etc.

If you are static stretching (stretch and hold) cold muscles before workouts or games you aren't helping yourself. It can leave muscles tighter, can lead to injury, and can actually hurt your on ice performance. Static stretch only after your muscles are warm. Any trainer/exercise physiologist that knows anything will tell you the same.

Static stretch after workouts and games.

I understand where you are coming from regarding the use of static stretching.

However, the soft tissue/flexibility work (not the same as static stretching) is very important, especially as us guys get older.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
Older guys, what over the counter have you found works best for joint pain(tendonitis, general soreness, etc.)? Alleve, Advil, Tylenol?

Everyone I know that has tried it says Glucosamine works great for them. This is older guys and younger guys with issues from blown out shoulders from pitching, arthritic joints from injuries, to just general joint soreness from lifting heavy and often. I would give it a look as it seems to at least take the edge off for a big variety of joint issues.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I've been back playing again now for 5 months after a 16 year layoff. I'm having a blast, but man my body is hurtin. This is playing 2-3 times per week in a men's league (no check) and competitive pickup. I turn 39 in October so I know I know, but anyone else in this boat? Does it get better? Solutions? I do play hard, some diving for pucks/deflecting passes etc. which I may need to stop.

Anyway here's my list from head to toe.

-Sore neck after playing (mri showed nothing)
-tendonitis in right elbow(work related)
-hyper extended left ring finger(permanently swollen)
-repeated deeply bruised right hip bone(may need pro level pants)
-can't bend right knee past 90 degrees without pain(suspect a minor tear of my lateral meniscus after catching an edge)
-3 skate bunions from my stiff Graf G35's

Just wondering if it's growing pains or if this is how it's gonna be:shakehead

comes a time

I played fairly competitive(incidental contact with slapshots allowed 36 games + playoffs) until the year I turned 42. My last year I was the oldest on the team by 7 years and 21 years older then the youngest team member, most of the guys on the team I was with(11 years) had played either Jr CHL or Uni hockey, so it was a pretty up-tempo game . I started noticing at around 37 it was taking longer and longer at seasons end to completely heal, my last year my shoulder's and knees were still as stiff as glue when the following season began, it pretty well made the decision for me. Looking back now 14 years later I realized I should've stepped down a league after 35 and played intermediate, those painful joints are a part of daily life now, so get used to it buddy

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Everyone I know that has tried it says Glucosamine works great for them. This is older guys and younger guys with issues from blown out shoulders from pitching, arthritic joints from injuries, to just general joint soreness from lifting heavy and often. I would give it a look as it seems to at least take the edge off for a big variety of joint issues.

Great point. I tried it awhile back and it seemed to help a bit. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
comes a time

I played fairly competitive(incidental contact with slapshots allowed 36 games + playoffs) until the year I turned 42. My last year I was the oldest on the team by 7 years and 21 years older then the youngest team member, most of the guys on the team I was with(11 years) had played either Jr CHL or Uni hockey, so it was a pretty up-tempo game . I started noticing at around 37 it was taking longer and longer at seasons end to completely heal, my last year my shoulder's and knees were still as stiff as glue when the following season began, it pretty well made the decision for me. Looking back now 14 years later I realized I should've stepped down a league after 35 and played intermediate, those painful joints are a part of daily life now, so get used to it buddy

I hear ya. I'm currently in a "over 40 league" which is mostly made up of early 30's to 50 so perfect for me especially considering I'm a lot rusty. I'm not interested in chasing junior A/college level players around either.

I think we need to remember that this is for fun. I would love to play more, push my body harder in training, etc., but my body pushes back and I need to listen. Once the workouts, the stretching, the proper diet, proper sleep, the supplements etc. are all in order it is what it is. I'll workout/play as hard as my body will allow.

I have a life outside of hockey like all of you guys do and I'm not interested in limping through it. Well, maybe come playoff time I'll make an exception.:)

Jive Time

Jul 24, 2009
Yeah, 40 is like a switch. Can't explain it but it's true for me too.

I had a lot of trouble with my hip flexors / groin when I was stretching before playing and I had read that was a bad idea so I stopped. Now I simply try to get the blood flowing first and stretch + ice after. This has been a huge difference for me in avoiding those kind of nagging injuries.

The most aggravating part of 40+ is the tendon degradation. I have been through a partial tear of the bicep tendon and I'm living with rotator cuff issues which really limit what I can do. These things take a loooooong time to heal and most times the best remedy is to take time off which no one wants to do.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I now play in a mid level category, with guys in their early 20's. As a 42 year old, it still amazes me that I can be a difference maker.

I get pain in my top hand, so i wrap it like a boxer.
I have occassional discomfort from an old abdomen muscle tear

That's all. I still do not stretch, or cool down. I know I should.... but I take the warm period serious and I am fully sweaty by the puck drop.

As for recovery, it is hit and miss. »Sometimes I a wiped the next day, some times.... no big deal. Odd.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
but I take the warm period serious and I am fully sweaty by the puck drop.

This is huge and is undoubtedly helping keep you injury free.

The problem I have is our league games/pickup give you like a 5 min. warm up. It's just not enough time. I've considered bringing my running shoes to the rink and doing a few laps around the building right before I get dressed.

You should have a nice sweat going at puck drop. If not then you aren't ready.

42 is impressive to hang with the young guns. I honestly feel in another 6 months to a year I'll be in the same boat. The one exception is those Junior A/Division I caliber 18-22 yr. olds. There's one in our pickup games and you get a dose of reality pretty quick. Too fast, too good, too much stamina. For me anyway.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I've been back playing again now for 5 months after a 16 year layoff. I'm having a blast, but man my body is hurtin. This is playing 2-3 times per week in a men's league (no check) and competitive pickup. I turn 39 in October so I know I know, but anyone else in this boat? Does it get better? Solutions? I do play hard, some diving for pucks/deflecting passes etc. which I may need to stop.

Anyway here's my list from head to toe.

-Sore neck after playing (mri showed nothing)
-tendonitis in right elbow(work related)
-hyper extended left ring finger(permanently swollen)
-repeated deeply bruised right hip bone(may need pro level pants)
-can't bend right knee past 90 degrees without pain(suspect a minor tear of my lateral meniscus after catching an edge)
-3 skate bunions from my stiff Graf G35's

Just wondering if it's growing pains or if this is how it's gonna be:shakehead

I am a fossil at 43, and had some of the same injuries mentioned. I think that given the physicality of hockey, these nagging injuries will be unavoidable. This is probably a big reason why so many NHL superstars are like 19 or 20 years old (Toews, Stamkos, etc.).

Pedagogue

May 31, 2009
I'm 42 and things are starting to ache real bad. My right knee is tender. I've been to the doctor and he can't find anything. Even got an utrasound. One of the problem with beer leagues is that they don't give you enough time at the beginning of the game to warm up. If you are a 20 year old that's O.K. But if you are over 40 the lack of a good warm up can really mess you up. I often try to stretch a bit in the change room if I get to the rink early enough.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago
you could always go for a light jog before you get changed. even some jumping jacks, etc. to get your muscles warmed up. I usually take a hot shower and then stretch and use the foam roller before I leave the house. although the 2 rinks I play at are less than 20 minutes from my home.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I'm 42 and things are starting to ache real bad. My right knee is tender. I've been to the doctor and he can't find anything. Even got an utrasound. One of the problem with beer leagues is that they don't give you enough time at the beginning of the game to warm up. If you are a 20 year old that's O.K. But if you are over 40 the lack of a good warm up can really mess you up. I often try to stretch a bit in the change room if I get to the rink early enough.

Absolutely agree. I don't have a light sweat going by end of warm up which is where I should be. Probably why I don't feel good until the 2nd period. Only option is to do something off-ice right before I get dressed. A stationary bike in the locker room would be perfect.:)

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
you could always go for a light jog before you get changed. even some jumping jacks, etc. to get your muscles warmed up. I usually take a hot shower and then stretch and use the foam roller before I leave the house. although the 2 rinks I play at are less than 20 minutes from my home.

Great point. It may be tricky in the winter, but I may start doing a light 10 min. jog around the building right before getting dressed. I leave the house an hour before game time so I'm not sure doing anything at home is going to help much.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
I'll be 38 this year and the only thing I really notice is that I get kind of stiff after I play. Maybe I don't stretch enough after or it's just age starting to catch up with me. I normally play against guys 15-20 years younger than me in a pretty decent league, so I can hold my own. I've been playing since I was 16, pretty much all year round. Took a few years off back in the early 2000's and (this was documented in another thread on here) managed to lose 90 pounds in the past 3+ years. :)

I've only ever had two "major" injuries that kept me from playing and they both occurred in the last 3 years. One was a hip flexor and the other was a slap shot to the ankle. Couldn't do much about the second one.

I'm absolutely dreading the day I just can't play anymore. I love it that much. I even hate the thought of not being able to compete at the level I do now. I just try to eat well, don't drink (just have never been that into it), and hit the gym 5 days a week in addition to playing to keep in shape. :)

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I'll be 38 this year and the only thing I really notice is that I get kind of stiff after I play. Maybe I don't stretch enough after or it's just age starting to catch up with me. I normally play against guys 15-20 years younger than me in a pretty decent league, so I can hold my own. I've been playing since I was 16, pretty much all year round. Took a few years off back in the early 2000's and (this was documented in another thread on here) managed to lose 90 pounds in the past 3+ years. :)

Good to hear. I think another thing that helps is that you have just kept playing since you were 16. It doesn't seem like you guys have as much of an issue vs. guys like me that took a long time off (16yrs.) and now are trying to start again at almost 40.

I think it's probably worse than a beginner. My mind and to a lesser extent my skill set tell me I can keep up with Junior A level players etc. and so I try to do it. However the body just isn't used to it. I'm not saying beginners don't play hard, but I'm not sure their skills/confidence allow them to hurt themselves like someone who thinks they are playing college hockey at 20 yrs. old trapped in a 38 yr. olds body if that makes sense:)

Oh well. I'm convinced that it will just take time. I can't see it being this bad from here on out. I just love playing so much so I hope not. I think going from pulling transmissions all day to sitting at a desk will work wonders for my body so hopefully that happens soon.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Good to hear. I think another thing that helps is that you have just kept playing since you were 16. It doesn't seem like you guys have as much of an issue vs. guys like me that took a long time off (16yrs.) and now are trying to start again at almost 40.

I think it's probably worse than a beginner. My mind and to a lesser extent my skill set tell me I can keep up with Junior A level players etc. and so I try to do it. However the body just isn't used to it. I'm not saying beginners don't play hard, but I'm not sure their skills/confidence allow them to hurt themselves like someone who thinks they are playing college hockey at 20 yrs. old trapped in a 38 yr. olds body if that makes sense:)

Oh well. I'm convinced that it will just take time. I can't see it being this bad from here on out. I just love playing so much so I hope not. I think going from pulling transmissions all day to sitting at a desk will work wonders for my body so hopefully that happens soon.

I think I agree. The one thing that seems to separate the older guys who are getting stiff and injured from the older guys who don't seem to have any issues is the latter group play constantly. I guess if you take time off you start to turn into the Tin Man which makes a lot of sense.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I think I agree. The one thing that seems to separate the older guys who are getting stiff and injured from the older guys who don't seem to have any issues is the latter group play constantly. I guess if you take time off you start to turn into the Tin Man which makes a lot of sense.

Tin Man! Oh no!:shakehead

Maybe that GNC Tri-Flex(Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM) I started last week will be my can of oil. Fingers crossed.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH

Yes, I totally agree. I play more now than I did when I was 16! Anywhere between once and three times a week, depending on the time of year. Even when I was really heavy, I was still able to play, albeit at a much slower pace! :laugh: I've been thinking I should start taking some of those Glucosamine and Chondroitins just to help my stiffness and joints. I'm really hoping I don't start to have a rash of injuries and issues right after I turn 40, so I'm just going to keep fighting Father Time... :)

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
Sam-E is also good for the joints, I have recently started playing basketball and street hockey after some time off (though I'm still 29) and it cleared up some stiffness I had in my knees. I think it's some kind of mood regulator, too--maybe not ideal for hockey!

felixno44

Jul 5, 2005
surrey, bc
has any of you guys had experience playing with a herniated disc ?
i am 30 years old and i´ve suffered one in my lower back (L4/L5) in february and have been taking a slow approach ever since. I completely stopped playing for about 5 months and am slowly getting back into it now.
i´ve never had any serious back issues, only a radiating pain in my left leg, so i don´t really notice it playing hockey...i´m just scared i could damage it any further. any insight from your experience would be greatly appreciated :) !!!

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
turned 38 in June and I have a bad shoulder, bad knees, and a bad ankle. As long as I continue to run or bike in my off-time at least 2x a week, the knees don't seem to be an issue. But if I have one of those weeks where I don't have the free time to work out, the recovery from a weekend game seems to take forever.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
turned 38 in June and I have a bad shoulder, bad knees, and a bad ankle. As long as I continue to run or bike in my off-time at least 2x a week, the knees don't seem to be an issue. But if I have one of those weeks where I don't have the free time to work out, the recovery from a weekend game seems to take forever.

Are you from Johnstown? I played i the war memorial twice and thought it was the coolest thing. It's like a hockey mecca with Slapshot being filmed there. That step down onto the ice is a doozy though. It must be 2 feet down:laugh:

ProfJeff

Aug 9, 2014
TX
Is it possible to resurrect a thread after his long?

Anyway, I'm 38 and just started skating/playing a couple of months ago. I can't stress this enough, and as others have said: warm up before you play. I started off static stretching (because that's what I had always done before physical activity), and from my experience and from what the experts say, all that does is set you up for a strained/pulled muscle.

I constantly dealt with strained groins and hip flexors. I have stopped static stretching and started just skating around before playing, working up a really good sweat. So far, it's been worlds better.

I am also trying to hit the weight room on a regular basis, as the experts say that strengthening the muscles is one of the best things one can do to prevent strains and pulls. I have also read that that there is a time for static stretching, but it is after a workout, so I try to do that once a day, usually after lifting weights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad