Confirmed with Link: Neal signed (1 year, 750K)

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I very much liked Neal’s game at his peak. All credit for him showing so much in camp, but I am a bit reserved simply because he had to prep a different way through camp to get this gig vs the standard veteran that can do a slow burn preparation.

I think he can definitely chip in and has some ability we can use, but it’s still true that his last few seasons of performance are likely more indicative than the camp he just had.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Neal's been a .6 ppg or better player every year of the last 10 except for 2. Now those 2 were in the last 3 years, but not back to back. One was 3 years ago and his only year in Calgary. That could have been fitting in or usage. He bounced back and hit .6 again the following year in Edmonton.

Then last year he was .33 again. However, Edmonton fans say he got Covid and was hit hard. We should know from watching the Blues deal with it that it takes some players time to recover from Covid. He also got a career low ice time, 4th line minutes, and still managed a 28 point pace. That's not bad with those minutes.

With all that in mind, I am coming around to be a little more excited about this signing. It basically no risk. If Neal is recovered from Covid, and that was what held him back, it could be potentially high reward. Having a .6 ppg player in the mix for league minimum is a steal. That's 2 guys with Bozak who both can put up better than Sanford numbers for 3/4 of Sanford's cap hit combined (not to bag on Sanford, but he is a good comparable).

Last edited:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
He seems like a great dude and I wish him all the best; it's too bad that it didn't work out for him here in Edmonton.

During the play-in series, it seemed like he and Khaira (on a line together) were the only forwards to show up every night

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We got a player for minimum who has heart, more tenacity over talent, and a gamer. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people. It's a win for us no matter what.

Reactions: 67Blues

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
At league minimum, this is an absolutely fantastic move. With Brown and Mac both clearing waivers, this signing cost us almost nothing. It didn't cost us a player, it is a small cap savings over whoever's roster spot he took and Brown is on a 2 way deal. The only real 'cost' here is that we have to pay MacMac an NHL salary in the AHL, so the owners have to eat $750k of real dollars to pay for the extra player who is now in the system.

In exchange for that incredibly small cost, we get a guy who has 20+ goal pace potential and 10+ goal pace floor. Despite a couple down seasons in the last 3 years, I think it is worth noting that he hasn't gotten caved in defensively. He's not going to succeed as a 4th line grinder, but even at his worst he hasn't been a massive defensive liability on an offensive minded 2nd/3rd line. He needs to produce in order to be worth the roster spot in that role and whether he can do so is still very much a question mark. But he isn't the black hole that Hoffman is when pucks aren't going in. His game off the puck has still been good enough to give him a 15-20 game run to see if the offense is there. This is a long way to say that he shouldn't cost the many Blues games in the first quarter of the season, which is a decent floor for a league minimum guy with the potential to produce 20 goals from the 3rd line.

Berube seems to want Neal-Thomas-Tarasenko to work. And I think there is a very real avenue to make that line work. With ROR, Buch and Saad all in the "top 6" that should allow us to lean on those 2 lines defensively and then use Neal-Thomas-Tarasenko for a lot of offensive situations. And if that line doesn't work, you can also try to rekindle some Vegas magic with Neal jumping on the wing of the ROR-Perron pairing. Our roster is surprisingly well-suited to hide Neal's deficiencies if he still has some goals left in the tank.

As a bonus, this is a guy who has been to the Final twice, cashed in as a UFA, spent 3 years failing to live up to that contract and then dealing with the ego-hit that is being bought out. If he is in it for his own ego, he has plenty of motivation to shut people up. If he is chasing a Cup, he has seen first hand what it takes to get near the top of the mountain and should be fine accepting whatever role he's asked to play. He's 34. He knows that the gas tank is nearing empty but that is an age where guys often still have enough left in the tank.

He might be waived 6 weeks from now, but I'd bet against it. I think he winds up being good enough to either stick in the healthy top 9 or being a great 13th forward to plug top 9 injuries as they occur.

Last edited:

stlbluz

Apr 9, 2007
St. Louis
At league minimum, this is an absolutely fantastic move. With Brown and Mac both clearing waivers, this signing cost us almost nothing. It didn't cost us a player, it is a small cap savings over whoever's roster spot he took and Brown is on a 2 way deal. The only real 'cost' here is that we have to pay MacMac an NHL salary in the AHL, so the owners have to eat $750k of real dollars to pay for the extra player who is now in the system.

In exchange for that incredibly small cost, we get a guy who has 20+ goal pace potential and 10+ goal pace floor. Despite a couple down seasons in the last 3 years, I think it is worth noting that he hasn't gotten caved in defensively. He's not going to succeed as a 4th line grinder, but even at his worst he hasn't been a massive defensive liability on an offensive minded 2nd/3rd line. He needs to produce in order to be worth the roster spot in that role and whether he can do so is still very much a question mark. But he isn't the black hole that Hoffman is when pucks aren't going in. His game off the puck has still been good enough to give him a 15-20 game run to see if the offense is there. This is a long way to say that he shouldn't cost the many Blues games in the first quarter of the season, which is a decent floor for a league minimum guy with the potential to produce 20 goals from the 3rd line.

Berube seems to want Neal-Thomas-Tarasenko to work. And I think there is a very real avenue to make that line work. With ROR, Buch and Saad all in the "top 6" that should allow us to lean on those 2 lines defensively and then use Neal-Thomas-Tarasenko for a lot of offensive situations. And if that line doesn't work, you can also try to rekindle some Vegas magic with Neal jumping on the wing of the ROR-Perron pairing. Our roster is surprisingly well-suited to hide Neal's deficiencies if he still has some goals left in the tank.

As a bonus, this is a guy who has been to the Final twice, cashed in as a UFA, spent 3 years failing to live up to that contract and then dealing with the ego-hit that is being bought out. If he is in it for his own ego, he has plenty of motivation to shut people up. If he is chasing a Cup, he has seen first hand what it takes to get near the top of the mountain and should be fine accepting whatever role he's asked to play. He's 34. He knows that the gas tank is nearing empty but that is an age where guys often still have enough left in the tank.

He might be waived 6 weeks from now, but I'd bet against it. I think he winds up being good enough to either stick in the healthy top 9 or being a great 13th forward to plug top 9 injuries as they occur.

Going to need some strong defense when that line is out. I get what you're saying but I'm not sold on Thomas being strong enough defensively to protect those 2.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Going to need some strong defense when that line is out. I get what you're saying but I'm not sold on Thomas being strong enough defensively to protect those 2.
I think Neal is better defensively than you are giving him credit for. His possession numbers have been 49-51% over the last 3 seasons in Calgary and Edmonton. They were positive playing in Edmonton's top 6 and negative in the bottom 6 (but not overwhelmingly negative). His expected +/- last year was +0.3 and was -0.4 the year before. He's not an elite defender by any stretch, but he holds his own defensively in sheltered usage. It's absolutely not a grindy/defensive 3rd line, but as offensive 3rd lines go it is defensively adequate.

If the plan is to run 3 lines with somewhat even ice time (which I expect to be the case), then I'd assume that the plan is to keep Neal a few minutes below Tarasenko, Schenn, Saad etc by slipping Saad/Buch onto that 3LW slot a few shifts each game as situations dictate. Possibly even slide ROR down to 3C and slide Thomas to the wing a couple shifts a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad