Player Discussion Neal Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Zero Goals 4 assists and a -6 in 14 games. Wonderful player who's 20 minute "contribution" is part and parcel to a NYR defense that gives up 40 shots + a game if they are lucky. Feel free to show me the heat maps or whatever you people are looking at to justify your pedestrian opinions of Neal Stionk . As far as the nickname goes, it may not be a quip you enjoy but there are plenty of Ranger ans around the world who donate their hard earned money on a monthly basis to be both informed and entertained by me. How about you ? When the overrating of a player is so egregious as it in this case he needed a nickname. Remember Mclbust ? How did that turn out for you ?
Honestly can you link me to your radio show

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Please stop comparing this guy to stralman, Pionk’s been a meh defender on the worst defensive team in the NHL. Certainly has some skill but has far from put it all together.
I don't think anyone really expects any D man to put it all together in his first year in the league, he only came up about, what, a month ago, maybe 3 months tops?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Zero Goals 4 assists and a -6 in 14 games. Wonderful player who's 20 minute "contribution" is part and parcel to a NYR defense that gives up 40 shots + a game if they are lucky. Feel free to show me the heat maps or whatever you people are looking at to justify your pedestrian opinions of Neal Stionk . As far as the nickname goes, it may not be a quip you enjoy but there are plenty of Ranger ans around the world who donate their hard earned money on a monthly basis to be both informed and entertained by me. How about you ? When the overrating of a player is so egregious as it in this case he needed a nickname. Remember Mclbust ? How did that turn out for you ?

Sounds like you have a pretty good scam going on. Best of luck.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

So corny.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Remember Mclbust ? How did that turn out for you ?
Wait...you sound like you're implying that you called that and no one else did...but every1 was livid at that pick so y on earth would you bring that up in this context?

Also it seems like you're looking for an example of how you know more than everyone...you had to reach back 8 YEARS and use an example where there was an almost universal consensus? If this is how you talk about hockey on your show it must suck. Does the name of your patreon donor say "mom" or "gam gam"?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I said this a week or so ago but I just dont' see it. the kid had a great game against Vancouver but otherwise he's not good. he bleeds shots against. he fights hard but he is very small for the game he plays. he's only 22 so he's got some time to develop but I don't see it. maybe a 6 or 7? some steve kampfer in him? next year smith will be back I fully expect that along with shattenkirk. rangers will have to pick between Gilmour and pionk is what I'm guessing as hajek probably needs a year In the minors.

skjei deangelo
staal shattenkirk
smith Gilmour/pionk

now hajek could surprise us and make the team. that would push smith back to the right side and both Gilmour and pionk out maybe smith moves back to play with skjei. regardless the lack of a top d pairing will be our biggest weakness for a while. I think skjei could be a number 2 dman I do. but we certainly don't have a 1. and you need one to win a Cup. where that guy comes from I don't know. one of my biggest concerns with dealing mcdonagh is guys like him don't grow on trees.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Y'all are reading way too much into a small sample size when he's playing on the worst team in hockey at the moment. He's a 22 year old kid that went from college, 50 games of AHL experience, and now top-4 responsibilities. This is also the most hockey he's ever played in a year. If he starts being so poor next year, then we can complain.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Please stop comparing this guy to stralman, Pionk’s been a meh defender on the worst defensive team in the NHL. Certainly has some skill but has far from put it all together.

Pionk could not shine Stralman's shoes right now, that's for certain(yes, rookie, yadda yadda yadda), and I feel like it's a safe bet that he will never be on Stralman's level. Some are definitely going over the top in this thread.

Reactions: The Mouth

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Hey guys noticed that this kid has 6 apples in his first 16 NHL games playing over 20 mins a game with an even +-, but this thread doesn’t seem stoked on him. What gives? What’s his long term upside?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hey guys noticed that this kid has 6 apples in his first 16 NHL games playing over 20 mins a game with an even +-, but this thread doesn’t seem stoked on him. What gives? What’s his long term upside?

I'd say his upside is as a #4 jitterbug. 2nd PK unit, 2nd PP unit.

More realistically he can be a decent bottom pairing guy. I think if NYR flesh out the D core a bit he and Staal would make an okay 3rd pairing moving forward. Anything more than that from them and they'll have problems.

The whole defense has looked awful, Pionk I think is the one young guy on the roster right now that will do just fine in a sheltered role next year.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I said this a week or so ago but I just dont' see it. the kid had a great game against Vancouver but otherwise he's not good. he bleeds shots against. he fights hard but he is very small for the game he plays. he's only 22 so he's got some time to develop but I don't see it. maybe a 6 or 7? some steve kampfer in him? next year smith will be back I fully expect that along with shattenkirk. rangers will have to pick between Gilmour and pionk is what I'm guessing as hajek probably needs a year In the minors.

skjei deangelo
staal shattenkirk
smith Gilmour/pionk

now hajek could surprise us and make the team. that would push smith back to the right side and both Gilmour and pionk out maybe smith moves back to play with skjei. regardless the lack of a top d pairing will be our biggest weakness for a while. I think skjei could be a number 2 dman I do. but we certainly don't have a 1. and you need one to win a Cup. where that guy comes from I don't know. one of my biggest concerns with dealing mcdonagh is guys like him don't grow on trees.
What has ADA done to put himself ahead of Pionk or even Gilmour? Do you judge your D based on how many spinorama's a D can pull off? If so remember Pionk also has Tony beat on the most memorable one of those. Pionk is given the harder defensive minutes, he's paired with Staal, and he's outproducing ADA who's getting pp time and much more ozone draws. You mention the great game from Pionk in Vancouver, could you reference a great game by Ada? I'd like to go back a rewatch one of those, cause I don't recall any yet. ADA still has as much to prove as any of the young D and he's no longer the only young D with NHL playing time so he won't get the benefit again. So if anything Ada, Pionk, Gilmour and maybe one of the surprises at camp like Hajek will have to earn that spot if Smith, Shatty, Staal and Skjei are the first 4.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s based on raw talent and draft position @Matz03 - I don`t mind to ship DeAngelo as soon as possible when he is healthy in the summer window. :)

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If he is in every game here on out, he's at 76 games this season between the AHL/NHL. Blows away anything he did in college. He's been fine, especially being thrown into the fire. Probably should still be in the AHL at this point.

Look forward to see him come into camp refreshed and having a better idea of what to expect with the number of games he has to play.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Sup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad