Neal Pionk with a pretty nasty goal...GOTY Candidate?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Nice goal, pretty overrated though. He didn't exactly need to do much.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Beautiful goal and great rush.

I hate it when people do this, but what kinda effort was that by Price? Just kinda rolled over and died.
One of the reasons this goal isn't that impressive to me. You can't really cut in that close because it's a free poke check for the goalie. But he just didn't do anything. And also, the D just let him pass, it was like watching Griffin Reinhart during his Oilers stint.

No difficult bypass, impressive shot or hands displayed. Again, a nice goal but nowhere near GOTY.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Beautiful goal and great rush.

I hate it when people do this, but what kinda effort was that by Price? Just kinda rolled over and died.

Yeah, I agree. Almost no effort by Price on the play. He was good in the game up until that point. But, I feel for Montreal fans. That guy in net isnt a good goaltender anymore and has the worst contract in the league.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
His defense is fine. Our fan base is clueless on this guy. Then again, it's no surprise. They have done nothing but complain about our defenseman for over 10 years and let the forwards off the hook all the time. Pionk has 40 games of NHL experience, is playing 25 minutes a night vs. other teams top lines. Yet, our fans complain. :help:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His defense is fine. Our fan base is clueless on this guy. Then again, it's no surprise. They have done nothing but complain about our defenseman for over 10 years and let the forwards off the hook all the time. Pionk has 40 games of NHL experience, is playing 25 minutes a night vs. other teams top lines. Yet, our fans complain. :help:

If he had 50% CF, they’d be saying he’s a 1D.

The guy takes the hardest assignments, all situations, he’s not even 50 games into his career, completely unheralded with no outside fanfare. Didn’t even get drafted, and has little name recognition, unlike many worse defensemen on our roster.

I think there’s some middle ground here. More likely a 3, potentially a 2, but the way some fans talk about him is very disrespectful and frankly out of touch with reality. Hockey is not played on a computer.

Reactions: Lays and The S5

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
I don't know about GOTY. It was pretty sweet yes but the defense was just sitting around watching him.. he didn't do anything too spectacular in my opinion.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
That was brutal by Price. Pionk only had one option and that was to cut to the inside and yet Price barely reacts like he was expecting Pionk to shoot or something.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
That was a sweet goal, however I don't see how this would be GOTY. He went coast to coast, but he was hardly challenged. Drouin barely tracked him, 58 let him walk right around him and 28 let him cut straight to the net unchallenged. and he didn't exactly pull a jaw-dropping move.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
O/U on the guy posting “soft NHL players” being 50 years old?

e: fan of the red wings.. Wishes hockey would go back to 2000s, even 2010 lmao. That’s when the wings were good!
It has absolutely nothing to do with the Red Wings and everything to do with how you'd plan your night around a much anticipated game. I'd watch more games of NON DRW teams due to some of the heated games. That just doesn't exist anymore. We used to get excited about intense games. Now we get excited over an unimpeded rookie. Sad.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
So much hate in here for a rookie that made a hot team get caught watching, including what many think, is an elite goaltender (definitely not saying he isn't), do a coast to coast goal that is seldom seen in this league...

Swap Ranger Blue wearing 44 for a number 76 in either Preds or Habs colors and this thread is 20+ pages.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
It was an impressive play and Montreal played it pathetically soft. Plenty of great end to end rushes have happened all throughout the history of the game, it's not some new phenomenon. Teams played joke defense for literally decades.

Nobody forced MTL to play that like white bread.

I'm a MTL fan and I agree. Habs played it soft and made it wayyy too easy for him.

It would be foolish to blame lack of physicality, there wasn't even a legit poke check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad