NE Ohio Pens fans w/ Center Ice subscription

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
anyone else subscribe to Center Ice or NHL.tv from this area? the games are blacked this year for some reason... at least as of now. I've subscribed to Center Ice for 10+ years to watch the Pens. now, all of a sudden, they are blacked out?! wtf

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
i posted there.. figured there's a better chance of a response here though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I’ve dealt with this garbage for years with NHL tv. Live in Cleveland and all Pens games blacked out on nhl tv. It’s absurd.

I didn’t have that issue with center ice but stopped using center ice after I cancelled cable years ago.

I don’t have a solution unfortunately but feel your pain.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I believe the reason for the blackout is that ATT Pittsburgh sports channel is available on Directv in Cleveland. At least in my area. Really stupid!! That is the only TV provider I can find that has Pens games on in this area.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
anyone else subscribe to Center Ice or NHL.tv from this area? the games are blacked this year for some reason... at least as of now. I've subscribed to Center Ice for 10+ years to watch the Pens. now, all of a sudden, they are blacked out?! wtf

I’ve dealt with this garbage for years with NHL tv. Live in Cleveland and all Pens games blacked out on nhl tv. It’s absurd.

I didn’t have that issue with center ice but stopped using center ice after I cancelled cable years ago.

I don’t have a solution unfortunately but feel your pain.

PM inbound.

Reactions: billybudd

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
this is such a crock of shit.. why on earth, after more than a decade, would they lump Cleveland with the Pittsburgh market now? the thing is, DirecTV has always had that Pittsburgh channel, and that has never been the issue. it makes zero sense, unless it's a temporary mistake.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I deal with this issue when the Pirates are on TV. Depending on the channel the game will be blacked out (mainly MLB Network)

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
This is why I’m not paying for CI anymore. All these complicated algorithms with what’s blackout and what it isn’t...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I believe the reason for the blackout is that ATT Pittsburgh sports channel is available on Directv in Cleveland. At least in my area. Really stupid!! That is the only TV provider I can find that has Pens games on in this area.

I had a comparable problem when I was doing a consulting gig in Utah. VGK games were blacked out, but I didn't get their carrier (only on satellite, not cable). Had to watch a game against the Pens online off a reddit feed.

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

WilliamDON18

Oct 14, 2019
Northeast Ohio penguins fan here. Total crock of BS that Cleveland has been blacked out for ages. Paying for DirectTV now. Considering other means as they are improving and im tired of 200 bills.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I had a comparable problem when I was doing a consulting gig in Utah. VGK games were blacked out, but I didn't get their carrier (only on satellite, not cable). Had to watch a game against the Pens online off a reddit feed.

Reddit for the win in most cases
Sometimes you have to kiss a few frogs before you hit the good feed though...

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
None of these official sports streaming services are worth it if you live where I do. WAY too many markets are blacked out (PHI, PGH, NY/NJ. BAL/WSH, even BOS).

A friend of mine has the MLB service, and if his team is playing ANY team in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, forget it, it's blacked out.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I paid for NHL.tv for a season and the stream quality was such trash that I’ll never do so again.
Huh. I almost always had a good stream using them. I cancelled my subscription after getting blackouts in Minnesota of all places.

Sooner or later sports leagues and providers are going to start realizing that plenty of people will pay for a streaming subscription service, but no one anymore wants 200+ channels anymore.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Until the playoffs, where the rightsholders crack down more heavily.
I have not paid for a hockey subscription for over 5 years now. Every playoffs I find streams via Reddit or other source easily every year. Yes during the post season you may have to click around for awhile longer than the regular. But they are always out there post season or not. The only games I ever have a hard time finding streams for are Flyers matchups just because Comcast is extremely good at hunting down streams. But again, I can always find one I just gotta look a bit harder than usual.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Are we not allowed to suggest using a VPN, like Private Internet Access? I wouldn’t want to suggest using such a service to mask the location of your IP if it’s not allowed.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Are we not allowed to suggest using a VPN, like Private Internet Access? I wouldn’t want to suggest using such a service to mask the location of your IP if it’s not allowed.
You can use a VPN for added protection if you feel you need it for streaming. But at least every ISP I have dealt with, and I will not say ALL ISP's are like this. But I have never gotten a notice or been contacted ever for streaming sports and I have been doing it for years in multiple states (PA, OH, CA). Over multiple ISP's. Complete cord cutter about 5 years now, but I have been using non pay streaming for NHL and NFL for almost 15 years. Never got a notice or contact ever for streaming never using an VPN for it... Illegal downloads... That's a whole different story. :laugh: I have gotten a few of those over the years before I got a VPN.

Last edited:

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
You can use a VPN for added protection if you feel you need it for streaming. But at least every ISP I have dealt with, and I will not say ALL ISP's are like this. But I have never gotten a notice or been contacted ever for streaming sports and I have been doing it for years in multiple states (PA, OH, CA). Over multiple ISP's. Complete cord cutter about 5 years now, but I have been using non pay streaming for NHL and NFL for almost 15 years. Never got a notice or contact ever for streaming never using an VPN for it... Illegal downloads... That's a whole different story. :laugh: I have gotten a few of those over the years before I got a VPN.
My point was that with such a service you can have it use an IP from a different location that is not within the blackout area, thus allowing you to watch the games within the blackout area.

jjp66

Apr 10, 2015
the problem is, i want to watch the games on tv with my cable box, without having to deal with VPNs, internet connection, etc.. i've done it this way for years and years without any issues. i also purchase a package for my parents, so my dad can watch and the two of us can watch when i'm over. my dad has no clue how to stream stuff, so that's not an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad