NCHC Hockey thread

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
Couldn't help noticing that all three conference series had one of their games go to overtime this past weekend. More evidence that this is just about anyone's league, no?

goon

Looking Ahead: UND vs. WMU

• Two NCHC teams face non-conference foes this weekend with Minnesota Duluth at WCHA foe Northern Michigan and No. 3/3 St. Cloud State at the North Star College Cup, where they’ll face WCHA and possibly Big Ten foes. NCHC teams are a combined 44-24-10 in non-conference play this season with the .628 win percentage tops among all conferences. NCHC teams are 15-2-2 against WCHA foes this season and 14-1-1 against the Big Ten, including a combined 9-1-1 against the other three teams at the North Star College Cup. SCSU is 4-0-0 against teams at the tournament so far this season.

• The NCHC is home to the only two teams in the country with 20 wins so far this season as both No. 2/2 North Dakota and No. 3/3 St. Cloud State reached 20 wins last Saturday. UND has topped the 20-win plateau each of the last 14 seasons, which is the longest active streak in the NCAA, while SCSU hit the 20-win mark for the fourth straight season.

• NCHC teams have played some of the toughest schedules in the country, led by Minnesota Duluth, which has played the toughest slate to date. Miami, Western Michigan and SCSU all rank in the top five for toughest schedules while seven NCHC teams rank in the top 11 for toughest schedules this season.

• Six active NCHC players have over 100 career points (out of 25 nationally), while two more are within striking distance. Minnesota Duluth senior forward Austin Farley has 97 career points (42g, 55a), as does Denver junior forward Trevor Moore (39g, 58a). Each needs three points to join the century club.

• SCSU senior forward Joey Benik was named NCAA First Star of the Week on Tuesday for the second time this season after a seven-point weekend. Seven different NCHC players have earned an NCAA Star this season a combined nine times (Farley has also earned a star twice), including four First Stars.

• No. 13/14 Denver heads to Miami this weekend riding an eight-game unbeaten streak (5-0-3), which is tied for the second-longest active unbeaten streak in the NCAA. That game is part of a doubleheader on CBS Sports Network with No. 12/11 Omaha at Colorado College the nightcap. The #FFTrophyTour continues in those locations as well as the Frozen Faceoff Championship Trophy will be on display at both Steve Cady Arena and the Broadmoor World Arena this weekend.

• Two of the highest scoring blue lines call the NCHC home as SCSU leads the nation with 88 points (74 assists) from defensemen while UND is fourth with 73 points (14g, 59a). SCSU’s 113 goals and 318 points overall also lead the NCAA

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Definitely, although the catch is wondering whether he'll stick around after this year.

Vancouver did say when they drafted him he would stay at UND for 2-3 years. Pro teams have been known to not hold their word so we shall see. 1 more year would be the max though in my opinion.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
The top 4 seeds advance to the Target Center in Minneapolis this fri/sat.

UND vs UMD - UND swept 4 games season series 3-0,3-0 in Duluth, 2-1, 2-1(ot) in GF.

SCSU vs DU - SCSU won only 2 games in series in Denver 5-2, 6-2

UND 30-5-3 -- 1st pairwise, have won last 8 games. Drake tied 2nd nation game winning goals 7. Cam 0.937 sv% 2nd nation. 1.580 gaa 1st nation. Boeser 4th nation 25 goals. UND 1.820 gaa 3rd nation.

SCSU 29-9-1 -- 3rd pairwise, 6-2 last 8 games. Two losses were to UMD in St. Cloud. 2nd nation goals per game 4.283. 29.37 pp% 2nd nation . 7.12 PIM per game 3rd nation. Kossila 3rd nation 33a.benik 7 game winning goals tied 2nd nation

DU 23-8-5 -- 6th pairwise, 11 wins in a row. Swept UND in Denver. Last 4 wins vs uno. Moore tied 4th nation 31 assists.

UMD 17-14-4 -- 13th pairwise, 6-2 last 8 swept by UND in GF. Last 4 wins have been vs Miami in Duluth. Farley 8 pp goals tied 3rd nation.

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
Duluth's hot, I think they will give the Sioux a run for their money.

Duluth should also be desperate, since out of the four teams, it is the only one that is not a lock for the national tournament. Think it'll take a championship victory, or would an upset of UND be enough to get them an at-large bid?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Duluth should also be desperate, since out of the four teams, it is the only one that is not a lock for the national tournament. Think it'll take a championship victory, or would an upset of UND be enough to get them an at-large bid?

If the dogs win on Friday, I think they are in. If not, then it depends on the other teams outcomes. They are ranked 16 nationally last time I checked, and UND 2?

Even with a loss UMD still has a chance, bc it's not like a 9 vs 16 matchup; the Sioux are very good which should favor the dogs if they lose.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
If the dogs win on Friday, I think they are in. If not, then it depends on the other teams outcomes. They are ranked 16 nationally last time I checked, and UND 2?

Even with a loss UMD still has a chance, bc it's not like a 9 vs 16 matchup; the Sioux are very good which should favor the dogs if they lose.

The Sioux have yet to win a game in the dump they call the Target Center. UMD will play like a desperate team and will be highly motivated to win. I hate picking against the Sioux but I think the Bulldogs win this one 4-2.

scRIbe

Sep 2, 2014
The Sioux have yet to win a game in the dump they call the Target Center. UMD will play like a desperate team and will be highly motivated to win. I hate picking against the Sioux but I think the Bulldogs win this one 4-2.

Say, do you think you can give us a prediction for tonight's lottery numbers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad