NCHC and Big 10 shootouts

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Both leagues are going to shootouts. Just another reason for me to hate the change of these 2 new leagues. They do not belong in college hockey in my opinion. Yes I am old school but to get a point for winning a showdown between player and goalie is absurd. I would love to see a 4 on 4 8 minute ot and no score after that leave it as a tie. Let the game decide it not a gimmicky shootout.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Both leagues are going to shootouts. Just another reason for me to hate the change of these 2 new leagues. They do not belong in college hockey in my opinion. Yes I am old school but to get a point for winning a showdown between player and goalie is absurd. I would love to see a 4 on 4 8 minute ot and no score after that leave it as a tie. Let the game decide it not a gimmicky shootout.

I hate the shootout, disappointed that two more conferences will go this route. :shakehead

Jroads

Sep 13, 2013
Winnipeg via EGF, MN
I hate ties. I left The Ralph way too many times with that pergatory "we tied" feeling. I enjoy watching shootouts. I hope it wont change the effort in OT in the negative. I'm on the fence right now, but if UND wins most of their shootouts i'll be pro shootout. But the second we miss the playoffs or home ice advantage because of a shootout, I (and a few others) may change their tune on shootouts.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I don't expect any effort changes, of course this is coming from a Badgers' fan point of view. It seems like any time they went to overtime against a decent team they would always play not to lose. Control the puck for as long as you can, if you're in your defensive zone just clear the puck. It was really awful to watch. The only time they would go for a win is if it was against a team that they could just dominate possession and basically get all the chances against.

I would like the shootout more if they went 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 for 10 minutes. 5 minutes just isn't long enough to determine anything.

forbs02

Blergh
Jun 17, 2008
If they are using shoot-outs like the women's WCHA does, the shootout win point is only used in league standings. The game is listed as a tie for all other purposes. 3 points awarded for a win, 2 if you win the shootout, 1 if you lose the shootout.

BGFalconHawks

Apr 2, 2013
Grayslake, IL
I only know of these 2 conferences that are doing it. Are there others?

The CCHA was using it for the past few seasons and I personally liked shootouts, it added a different dynamic and got the students really involved. I think the WCHA is doing Shootouts this season as most of the schools in the conference are coming from the CCHA.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I was at an NCAA game a couple of years ago (Maine vs Boston) which reminded me why shootouts make the game better. The game was tied going into for third period. With about 5 minutes left in the game both teams really stopped taking chances. Same with overtime no team wanted to risk losing that point. Shootouts make a difference.

(just in the regular season of course)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad