NCC still hoping for major events centre at Lebreton Flats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I'm still holding onto my pipe dream of the Senators building a rink on the DND site at 101 Colonel By. An actual downtown arena, in easy walking distance from the ByWard Market, Elgin St, the Rideau Centre and Parliament Hill....plus fans could literally skate to the games.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I'm still holding onto my pipe dream of the Senators building a rink on the DND site at 101 Colonel By. An actual downtown arena, in easy walking distance from the ByWard Market, Elgin St, the Rideau Centre and Parliament Hill....plus fans could literally skate to the games.

That would be neat

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think the prospect of an arena is still too appealing to not leave temporary vacant land in whatever project they choose.

The only way this team survives long term is if they get a centraly located arena on the O train or LRT line. Once/If there is a new owner, for sure the plan will be to move the team downtown. The reason there is a buyer at all is the lebreton real estate opportunity its not to own the sens as a profitable business. With phase 2 of the LRT being fully complete in 2025 that would be a very ideal time for the arena to be finished. Ironically you will be able to get direclty to the rink from just about everywhere except Kanata via light rail.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I can tell you with absolute certainty that this scenario won't happen in your lifetime.

No shot, if it does it will be at Lebreton which is a way better location as thats where the o train and lrt meet. Plus an opportunity to build an entire entertainment district that is brand new, on the water its absolutely perfect. Plus the Zibi development is happening right beside it connecting Gatineau directly to the site.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
No shot, if it does it will be at Lebreton which is a way better location as thats where the o train and lrt meet. Plus an opportunity to build an entire entertainment district that is brand new, on the water its absolutely perfect. Plus the Zibi development is happening right beside it connecting Gatineau directly to the site.

Yeah, Lebreton really is the best option.

Hypothetically though, if not Lebreton, could the land around Hurdman station work? From what I understand, the problems would be that the area is a flood plain for the Rideau River and that the soil clean-up would be extensive due to it being a city dump a few decades ago, so it would be difficult.

Still, it's got a major LRT station, and would be able to utilize the southern portion of the bus transitway, meaning buses wouldn't need to merge into traffic to leave the arena like they do at the CTC.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not big enough.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Imagine owning a pro sports team and not communicating or collaborating with the group that wants to set aside a massive piece of land in the perfect location for your team to play.

Wouldn't that be crazy?

Take the current owner out of what is going on.
This ‘group’ wants to sell toxic land to a private party and have this party invest 400 million out of pocket(money that will never be returned) in a world class downtown attraction.

Seems like crazy is on the other end of these plans. It’s a pipe dream with unrealistic expectations.

The entire project was a scam to set Rudy up for the rest of his life. They are now doing the right thing and selling the land in proper sized parcels people can afford to develop

Last edited:

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Take the current owner out of what is going on.
This ‘group’ wants to sell toxic land to a private party and have this party invest 400 million out of pocket(money that will never be returned) in a world class downtown attraction.

Seems like crazy is on the other end of these plans. It’s a pipe dream with unrealistic expectations.

The entire project was a scam to set Rudy up for the rest of his life. They are now doing the right thing and selling the land in proper sized parcels people can afford to develop
The land was being cleaned by NCC so that is completely false. There was another firm with the financial means and desires to easily develop the site in to something the city could be proud of. Somehow the rendezvous bid was selected over the superior and more stunning DCDLS which also didn’t rely upon massive amounts of condos to fund the arena. Melnyk also signed on to the deal fully willing with the expectation he’d eventually get a free arena out of it. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to come up with the money up front and ended up being sued for a billion dollars.

Your entire post is pretty well fiction

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The land was being cleaned by NCC so that is completely false. There was another firm with the financial means and desires to easily develop the site in to something the city could be proud of. Somehow the rendezvous bid was selected over the superior and more stunning DCDLS which also didn’t rely upon massive amounts of condos to fund the arena. Melnyk also signed on to the deal fully willing with the expectation he’d eventually get a free arena out of it. Unfortunately he wasn’t able to come up with the money up front and ended up being sued for a billion dollars.

Your entire post is pretty well fiction

No the NCC will reimburse the people who clean up the land, meaning they buy toxic land and fix it.
rendezvous was selected so Rudy could get all the control,
DCDLS was going to use condo money to build the arena the only difference was instead of EM taking loses and Rudy taking profit it was one company so the numbers justified paying for the arena.
No one will buy one parcel for an arena it would be a serious waste of capital now that the land is being split up and there is no battle for control of the entire project.

No fiction in my post.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No the NCC will reimburse the people who clean up the land, meaning they buy toxic land and fix it.
DCDLS was going to use condo money to build the arena the only difference was instead of EM taking loses and Rudy taking profit it was one company so the numbers justified paying for the arena.
No one will buy one parcel for an arena it would be a serious waste of capital now that the land is being split up and there is no battle for control of the entire project.

No fiction in my post.
Well at least no matter what, Melnyk came out looking like the villain as far as public perception goes, so it helps to tarnish his poor reputation a little further. Good news either way.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Well at least no matter what, Melnyk came out looking like the villain as far as public perception goes, so it helps to tarnish his poor reputation a little further. Good news either way.

Melnyk is an idiot everyone knows this, all this did was make people’s dreams of a new arena vanish, there is zero good news in this cluster@&#*

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009

No fiction in my post.
The NCC is cleaning the land right freaking now....take a drive by. The cost will be part of the negotiated price. It’ll be cleaned so yes that is entirely false.

One was building 2,500 housing units, the other was building 4,000 which one do you figure is more dependent upon condo subsidy? One bid was all about creating a showcase in the city and had to go outside the initial group to get deep pocketed investors to fund it. The other had a small group that doesn’t even amount to the net worth of one member of DCDLS when all their money is combines.

It’s a farce that rendezvous was chosen at all. One is something the entire country could have been proud of, one was melnyk, more or less condos a park and a rink

DCDLS: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...ld-look-like-if-dcdls-bid-is-chosen-1.3420698

RendezVous: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...ke-if-ottawa-senators-bid-is-chosen-1.3420826

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The NCC is cleaning the land right freaking now....take a drive by. The cost will be part of the negotiated price. It’ll be cleaned so yes that is entirely false.

One was building 2,500 housing units, the other was building 4,000 which one do you figure is more dependent upon condo subsidy? One bid was all about creating a showcase in the city and had to go outside the initial group to get deep pocketed investors to fund it. The other had a small group that doesn’t even amount to the net worth of one member of DCDLS when all their money is combines.

It’s a farce that rendezvous was chosen at all. One is something the entire country could have been proud of, one was melnyk, more or less condos a park and a rink

DCDLS: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...ld-look-like-if-dcdls-bid-is-chosen-1.3420698

RendezVous: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...ke-if-ottawa-senators-bid-is-chosen-1.3420826

Isn’t that a group that has purchased that area of land cleaning it up before they build?
And do you think the two groups bid to make no money? Retail space and condos are being built for profit fella. They are not doing the city of Ottawa a friendly favor paid for by a private group just for fun
And like I said it was all a big scam to hand Rudy control and you agree a farce indeed.

Trying to act like everything I said is false is a huge stretch in order to get in a chest puffing contest over what now?

Do you even know the details of the bids? Like who was paying for what? Was the city going to pay for some of the public buildings? Serious question because there isn’t a lot of details I can find and you sure seem hell bent on being “right”
I would assume public buildings like a library and things like this would be billed to the city
I’m not trying to be rude but it seems you think a group of investors are going to build a bunch of things with there own money and never get a return? Just hey Ottawa here’s a bunch of stuff we paid for enjoy...
Do you know how much of the area is currently being cleaned up? What it is being cleaned for and who is cleaning it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->