NCAA Women's Hockey Showcase coming to Bellevue

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I just posted in another thread that with the SEC Tournament locked in and the only available year a Women's Final Four in basketball as a target, a Frozen Four is very slim prospect. At some point the Preds as main tenant starts to suffer from all the other scheduling conflicts if there are multi weeks blocked out.

It's a good problem to have.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Who would be the host school, Vandy? Do they have a hockey team?

How about the Women's Frozen Four in 2023? I think that most of the women's title games seated less than 10,000 people.

If I am not mistaken, when Tampa hosted the frozen four, UAH was the host school, believe it or not.

So I guess it doesn't have to be a local school- I guess UAH could be the host school again......

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Any school can be the host. Wisconsin hosted the second Tampa Frozen Four. I could see them being interested in Nashville too.

The Badgers hosted the 3 Frozen Fours held at the Bradley Center. I attended the first two. I also sat across an aisle from Pat Richter, the U of Wisconsin AD at the time, for the Championship game. He ducked out with a few minutes remaining to be part of the trophy presentation.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Kind of stinks that it's going to be at Bellevue though. Looks like Antioch is going to be ignored now for the shiny new toy.
From the images I've seen on-line, neither facility looks like a good place to host a decent sized hockey crowd. Maybe Bellevue has locker room facilities that better suit top tier Div I teams? Or maybe it's just a matter of the Preds spreading their scheduling between the two Ford Ice Centers. So far it's hard to tell which Ford Ice is which according to their social media presentations. Just two jewels in the eventual crown of hockey rinks encircling Nashville.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
From the images I've seen on-line, neither facility looks like a good place to host a decent sized hockey crowd. Maybe Bellevue has locker room facilities that better suit top tier Div I teams? Or maybe it's just a matter of the Preds spreading their scheduling between the two Ford Ice Centers. So far it's hard to tell which Ford Ice is which according to their social media presentations. Just two jewels in the eventual crown of hockey rinks encircling Nashville.

I think it seats 1,000

That's higher than all but THREE women's programs averaged in the 17-18 season (the first season I found numbers for) and the highest average attendance was Wisconsin with 2,265. One of the others with higher attendance is Minnesota which will also be in this tournament. The other two teams, BC and Harvard, average less than 1,000.

If it's packed to capacity, it might feel a little better than what they're used to because it would be wall-to-wall fans, vs 2k scattered about in a 15k seat arena. Plus there will likely be other fans, parents, players hanging out in concession areas where they can view a bit through the windows.

It certainly has potential, and if the Preds are involved in putting on this event, then it'll definitely be really well done.

Reactions: JMCx4

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Badgers lost at Minnesota 4-2 last night. They did win their first 10 games, so it should be a good tourney. Harvard has a good team, but they have never won the NCAA championship, unlike Wisconsin and Minnesota, who have multiple wins. Overall, the Badger women are 500-87-43. I wish the men's team had a record like that over the last 20 years!

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Crap, will be at Disney feeding the mouse... otherwise we would have come down for it.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Badgers lost at Minnesota 4-2 last night. They did win their first 10 games, so it should be a good tourney. Harvard has a good team, but they have never won the NCAA championship ...
And the BC women are ranked 7th in D1 with a 9-0-1 record. As soon as I saw this foursome were gonna play in a weekend showcase within driving distance, I jumped on a pair of admissions for all 4 games. The Preds know how to put on a good show. :popcorn:

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad