Not open for further replies.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=82006

NCAA to allow players to enter NHL draft​

Associated Press

4/28/2004

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The NCAA on Wednesday granted a waiver allowing 17- and 18-year-old players at Division I schools to enter the NHL draft in June.

The players would retain college eligibility as long as they don't play for a professional team or hire an agent.

NHL teams can keep draft rights until 30 days after a player graduates from college. The league recently changed its draft eligibility requirements to include players who turn 18 on or before Sept. 15, and those who turn 19 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31.

Under current NCAA rules, players under 19 would not be eligible for the June 26-27 draft.

The waiver, approved last week by the NCAA's Division I Management Council administrative review subcommittee, applies only for the 2003-04 academic year. The possibility of extending the waiver beyond this year will be discussed at a meeting of a Division I subcommittee on agents and amateurism in June.

NCAA officials believe the waiver will affect fewer than a dozen players for this year's draft.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Old news... this was posted about 2 weeks ago.

And it's EXACTLY 12 players it effects this year just for those who are wondering.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Im surprised to hear the news. Where is Pineault heading then? Can he join another NCAA team or is he thinking of joining a QMJHL team? Which one of them holds his rights?

If he fell out with his coaches this could hurt his draft stock big time. Perhaps he'd opt out instead.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Stevex said:
Im surprised to hear the news. Where is Pineault heading then? Can he join another NCAA team or is he thinking of joining a QMJHL team? Which one of them holds his rights?

If he fell out with his coaches this could hurt his draft stock big time. Perhaps he'd opt out instead.

He can not play for another NCAA school next year, he would have to transfer and that would cost him a year that he would have to sit out. I assume he's headed to Moncton, unless they trade his rights. Don't know what effect it would have on his draft status, but I would have to think it would be better to be drafted in '04 then '05 which is looking like a very solid draft.

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
montreal said:
He can not play for another NCAA next year, he would have to transfer and that would cost him a year that he would have to sit out. I assume he's headed to Moncton, unless they trade his rights. Don't know what effect it would have on his draft status, but I would have to think it would be better to be drafted in '04 then '05 which is looking like a very solid draft.

Yeah I really can't see him sitting out a year, waiting for an NCAA transfer. Because Im guessing the reason he left was because he just wasn't playing a big enough role. And well, he'd play an even smaller role from the bleachers.

So he's either headed to the QMJHL or the AHL (hoping to sign with which ever team drafts him). He'd definitely be smart to go the QMJHL route though, because he could end up getting a lot more money that way. He's likely to be anywhere from a late first to late second round pick. Which won't get him the money he could get if he decided to leave to the QMJHL and show off his skills.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Where is AE112 saying Pineault is god now?

Or whatever his user name is...

This was bad news from the start. He never wanted to go NCAA and he didn't belong in NCAA. He wanted to player Major Junior from the start and now it looks like he'll get his chance.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
Where is AE112 saying Pineault is god now?

Or whatever his user name is...

This was bad news from the start. He never wanted to go NCAA and he didn't belong in NCAA. He wanted to player Major Junior from the start and now it looks like he'll get his chance.

Agree, heard the same story. Kid wanted to play Major A because it suited his game more but Father said no, you will play where I say. From a development stand point, was not a completly wasted year of development but it did hurt him and his draft position.

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
Stevex said:

Pineault planned on opting into this draft before the opt-in rule changed.
This meant that he would have left BC after 1 year. Pineault is better suited for Major junior and in hindsight it may have been obvious to the Pineault camp that going back to BC would not be in Pineault's best interest.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
AE12 said:
Pineault planned on opting into this draft before the opt-in rule changed.
This meant that he would have left BC after 1 year. Pineault is better suited for Major junior and in hindsight it may have been obvious to the Pineault camp that going back to BC would not be in Pineault's best interest.

Oh man... A. Where are your sources saying he was definitely opting in? B. My you are singing a different tune all of a sudden.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Schlep Rock said:
Oh man... A. Where are your sources saying he was definitely opting in? B. My you are singing a different tune all of a sudden.

In fact here is the post regarding him opting in...
http://216.239.39.104/custom?q=cache:8vfzDlrfuvQJ:hfboards.com/archive/index.php/t-63789+AE12&hl=en

And to quote you, "He dropped in the rankings because he may not be in the draft"

But now you're saying you know for a fact he was going to opt in? What's changed in 3 weeks since you made that post?

Also I'm curious as to where Pineault was ranked 6th overall? On the Rangers board you said he was... by whom? Red Line had him 19th at the begining of the year (his peak ranking) and CSB didn't have him near #6 in their mid-term rankings.

All of a sudden you are changing your tune now that he is no longer at BC but you still insist, he's a guaranteed 1st rounder, etc.

And in hindsight? Rumor has it he was given an ultimatum... "take a walk yourself, or we'll show you the door ourselves" If a kid decides to leave school on his own, it's stated in the media, they often won't say why but if he decides on his own it's published. No comment from ANYBODY including Adam so one can only infer something went down that would shine negatively on him.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
"To set the record straight: the incident happened on the day of the marathon. Some of the students/players were drinking, Adam and another player went into a dorm, saw student ID's and took them. The other player also took a cell phone. The next day, Adam went to the dorm to return the ID's. The campus police got involved. Adam did take responsibility for his actions, admitted his mistake and will learn from this incident."--from a poster on EA who is believed to be related to Pineault

Not sure what EA is but I got this from USCHO.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->