NCAA thread v6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
247 Sports is releasing their final top 247 for the 2020 class today.

They just released their top 32. QB Bryce Young (Alabama), QB DJ Uiagalelei (Clemson), & DT Bryan Bresse (Clemson) finished top 3.

They gave them all the highest grade they could with a 101. Trevor Lawerence, Justin Fields, & Myles Garrett are the last guys at those positions that received such a high grade.

247 is the best of the bunch, but in an effort to drive intrigue, they go way over the top with the praise on the shiny new toys.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
247 Sports is releasing their final top 247 for the 2020 class today.

They just released their top 32. QB Bryce Young (Alabama), QB DJ Uiagalelei (Clemson), & DT Bryan Bresse (Clemson) finished top 3.

They gave them all the highest grade they could with a 101. Trevor Lawerence, Justin Fields, & Myles Garrett are the last guys at those positions that received such a high grade.

Which of the two Clemson QBs enters the portal first?

Also saw one of the Penn State guys got bumped to a 5*

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
247 is the best of the bunch, but in an effort to drive intrigue, they go way over the top with the praise on the shiny new toys.

I hear you. I still think they’re clearly the best though as they at least use all the resources available to them & have approach more in line with the way the game is going.

People freak out too much over them in both directions. Them ranking a guy in their top 25 or their top 50 isn’t going to change the outcome of what the player is going to be in college & so on. It just looks good on paper but if you’re landing like top 5-200 or whatever player that’s still a really good prospect regardless.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Also, 247 loves the Bama evals. Nearly any under the radar Bama commitment will move up in rankings consistently once they commit to Saban. On the one hand I get it, he's the best college football coach ever, but on the other, it's pretty uncanny.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I hear you. I still think they’re clearly the best though as they at least use all the resources available to them & have approach more in line with the way the game is going.

People freak out too much over them in both directions. Them ranking a guy in their top 25 or their top 50 isn’t going to change the outcome of what the player is going to be in college & so on. It just looks good on paper but if you’re landing like top 5-200 or whatever player that’s still a really good prospect regardless.
Agreed. Any school in the top 5 spots has a legitimate national championship level class. Those classes balance elite talent with depth. From there it's a crap shoot.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Also, 247 loves the Bama evals. Nearly any under the radar Bama commitment will move up in rankings consistently once they commit to Saban. On the one hand I get it, he's the best college football coach ever, but on the other, it's pretty uncanny.

Maryland fans complain about 247 showing favoritism towards Franklin as they rate our recruits higher than the composite every year. Franklin’s pretty close with their top guy Barton Simmons who lives/work in Nashville from his time at Vandy.

It ultimately just comes down to both put heavy emphasis on measurables & athletic testing numbers even outside the obvious top recruits that everybody wants.

Behold the analytics revolution: If you’re gonna miss, miss fast

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’m not a huge basketball fan but a ranked team vs. ranked team big college game with a packed crowd in a smaller arena right on top of the players is a cool atmosphere.

I’m watching this Auburn/Kentucky game waiting for the Flyers to come on & it’s a pretty good atmosphere at Auburn. You can’t even really hear the refs make a call right away in there.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Mark Dantonio stepping down at Michigan State but not before, what looks like, collecting a $4.3M bonus by staying on passed January 15th. Also, right before Signing Day, Lol.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Dantonio stepping down.
Uh oh...
Blackwell lawyers detail allegations that MSU's Mark Dantonio committed multiple NCAA violations

If these allegations are true, MSU is going to be in a world of hurt only adding to their other problems. I hope that they're off base. Dantonio recruited a player from my wife's school. The kid got into some off of the field difficulties that would have caused some schools to pull his scholarship but Dantonio stood behind the player and helped him become a better person. He was exactly the type of person that a coach is supposed to be.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

Roof is leaking at Butler vs Nova.

They climbed into the catwalk and hung a bucket

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD

Mother ****er sweated all the way through the jacket.

Buzz Williams knows those feels.
i

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Forget who the wrestling fan is, but Penn State vs Iowa on Big Ten after the Penn State vs Notre Dame hockey game. 1 v 2

Big Ten put all the matches on YT:

Hall v Kemerer
Joseph v Marinelli
Brooks v. Assad

3 good matches--in order of entertainment value.

DeSanto got embarrassed by RBY. I'm not sure what was up with Brands' comments about his injury afterwards. Either he's speaking for his wrestler or DeSanto wasn't that injured. Either way, not a good look for Iowa.

Spencer Lee has had light competition so far, but he's been the runaway for the Hodge. Hope to see him at the Olympics a few months after NCAAs

Reactions: Schwarbomb

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I’m not a huge basketball fan but a ranked team vs. ranked team big college game with a packed crowd in a smaller arena right on top of the players is a cool atmosphere.

I’m watching this Auburn/Kentucky game waiting for the Flyers to come on & it’s a pretty good atmosphere at Auburn. You can’t even really hear the refs make a call right away in there.
My only live college basketball experience to date was Duke at Ohio State in 2011, thankfully won by Ohio State with relative ease.

Incredible experience, though not in a small venue (I think it's over 18K). It did feel closer to the action than regular big venue events like the NBA or NHL.

I would highly recommend a game between two top programs or, more interestingly, two rival top programs. College basketball crowds are electric.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
How is it possible that Virginia Tech finished with the second worst recruiting class of any P5 team? Yes, their class was below Rutgers...

Fuente was never particularly good at recruiting & add in some questions about his job security probably doesn’t help either.

The two Virginia schools in general don’t really give up much of a fight for their in state talent anymore like they did earlier in the decade.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds like Michigan State might be struggling to reel in a coach.

Luke Fickell seems to be the name floating around right now but not really sure if that makes sense for him. He’s got Cincinnati in better shape right now with a much more viable path to success than Michigan State currently.

Matt Campbell apparently turned them down too which seems to further indicate he’s probably waiting for a bigger Midwest job to open or an NFL gig at this point.

Reactions: Normand Lacombe

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Don’t really know much about the guy. He coached in the SEC the last few years at Arkansas & then South Carolina last year.

Seems like South Carolina fans didn’t like his hire initially but the DL turned into a pleasant surprise last year for them. So they aren’t too thrilled of losing him now.

Big shoes to fill with Spencer’s departure though. He was one the better coaches/recruiters on the staff.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
Really strong showing by PSU #2 against Wisconsin #4. Bunch of top 5 bouts in this one. N. Lee and Joseph looked excellent against strong opponents. Freshman Aaron Brooks also continues to impress. Seems like an AA, though tournament season is a different animal than dual meets.

RBY had a hell of a match against the top ranked Gross. Kinda question strategy at the end. RBY was down 2 with riding time in hand. If he'd chosen down, I liked his chances of getting an point from escape. Would've taken him to OT. Interested in this match-up moving forward.

wankstifier

Jun 19, 2018
PSU had a dual against Minnesota today. The latter got embarrassed.

I really like Aaron Brooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad