NCAA thread v5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The committee didn’t punish anybody but Utah for losing in a CCG. They lost handily & went 0-2 against top 25 teams in the playoffs rankings.

Haha Utah sucks.

giphy.gif

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Sweet baby Jesus take Ricky Rhane.

Apparently this has legitimate legs to it now. Best way to get rid of an OC without taking on the negative PR of a firing for all parties involved.

I don’t think the guy is as awful as Penn State fans harp on but I don’t think he’s good enough to take that next step either. Analytically the offense was still graded top 20 overall by most ratings. A 10-2 team too. So from a PR standpoint it’s not easy to just outright fire a guy like that.

Obviously there’s personal relationship between him & Franklin going way back too that probably would have made a firing harder. Rahne can move down a level & not have a black mark alongside his name giving him a chance to move back up with some growth.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

@flyershockey I know he’s been one of your if not the best recruiters over the year’s but this has to be awful for a HC hire right?

Arkansas is desperate. The best they can hope for is a CEO type that is personable like Ed O. or Dabo. He's never been anything more than an OL coach.

Honestly, he's an elite recruiter. But the results didn't add up this year. Two first round picks at tackle. 4 and 5 star guards and center, but the run game regressed a lot this year. The numbers were there, but it was mainly Swift and Herrien just being better than the defenders in pursuit. They may take a step back in OL recruiting, but the X's and O's could get better with another hire.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Arkansas is desperate. The best they can hope for is a CEO type that is personable like Ed O. or Dabo. He's never been anything more than an OL coach.

Honestly, he's an elite recruiter. But the results didn't add up this year. Two first round picks at tackle. 4 and 5 star guards and center, but the run game regressed a lot this year. The numbers were there, but it was mainly Swift and Herrien just being better than the defenders in pursuit. They may take a step back in OL recruiting, but the X's and O's could get better with another hire.

I hear you. It’s like Florida State to a lesser degree. Fair or not firing coaches in less than two years probably doesn’t help the perception to coaches with other legitimate options. Not to say Morris & Taggart were good but there’s probably more issues at play than just them with both jobs currently.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I hear you. It’s like Florida State to a lesser degree. Fair or not firing coaches in less than two years probably doesn’t help the perception to coaches with other legitimate options. Not to say Morris & Taggart were good but there’s probably more issues at play than just them with both jobs currently.
It certainly is, but at least a coach can win at FSU. Arkansas is a bit like being at Rutgers. No local recruiting base. Far less resources than any other team in conference. And no shot of beating 3-4 teams in the division every year.

Arkansas obviously didn't want this one to end up like Tennessee last year where they struck out a bunch of times before getting someone to agree to the job. So they went ahead and gave the job to a guy who should have been about the 50th option lol.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is this good? Do we want this? I like his name.

Who knows how it ends up but I would say it could be a good hire. He comes from Scott Satterfield’s coaching tree who was a really good coach at App State previously now at Louisville. Not a big sample size of being a HC but at least it was pretty good in that sample.

I don’t think you guys really had to fire Barry Odom in the first place though.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The Odom firing is another example of a college program overrating their standing in the college football landscape. If competing for conference championships was their goal, then they shouldn't have jumped to the SEC in the middle of its heyday. Georgia and Florida weren't going to be down in the East forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad