GDT: NCAA Hoops thread

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
NC State went 10 minutes w/o scoring a single point, and yet they still won at Virginia. How? Don't know but by God you take that and f***ing run with it.

And, damn West Virginia ripped Texas a new one. Remember when Shaka Smart was the next hot coaching hire? That hasn't gone well in Austin.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
It's amazing how Bryce can totally change the makeup of the team. Having one extra guy that can create offense on his own opens it up for everyone. When I saw Bates and Andree were out, I thought we were screwed. Then that scoring drought and 2 bullshit calls to send DJ out, that's some NC State shit 10/10 and they still pulled it out.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Kansas just ****ed up their season.
Couldn't happen to a nicer program.

I'd normally drop a "you hate to see it" but yeah, you do hate to see things being that out of hand. So if the NCAA and/or Big 12 drop the hammer on them then all I can say is that's justice considering they are by far the dirtiest program in the country post-Pitino.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I for one wont stand for these stools getting a bad wrap in this altercation. I maintain its innocence and was a victim of unwanted touching, twice.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Good lord. If ever there was an edition of the Heels that State should take to the woodshed, this was it.

I still think Keatts is an extremely mediocre coach.
Just looked and saw fouls were 25-7, State was either INCREDIBLY undisciplined while Carolina played super clean...or the refs were making horseshit calls/non-calls in Carolina's favor...or a combination thereof...you be the judge

I want to say I can't believe blew perhaps their best chance to beat UNC at home, but this IS the team who can beat #1 Duke at home and then lose to someone like High Point or CPCC Rec Club or something stupid like that

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Just looked and saw fouls were 25-7, State was either INCREDIBLY undisciplined while Carolina played super clean...or the refs were making horse**** calls/non-calls in Carolina's favor...or a combination thereof...you be the judge
Style of play is important too. If UNCheat was driving to the basket or getting the ball inside more, that could explain why more fouls were called. Also I don’t know if the Fack are more of a jump shooting team. Jump shooting teams typically don’t draw foul calls because most shots are taken with a lot lower foul probability (diving excluded).

side note: never would question the refs helping UNCheat to win.

Last edited:

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Style of play is important too. If UNCheat was driving to the basket or getting the ball inside more, that could explain why more fouls were called. Also I don’t know if the Fack are more of a jump shooting team. Jump shooting teams typically draw foul calls because most shots are taken with a lot lower foul probability (diving excluded).

side note: never would question the refs helping UNCheat to win.
True, and it looks like a decent chunk of the fouls may have been near the end, those desperation fouls to get back into a game that make the last 4 min take 30+. Also, State has always been AWFUL at stopping the other team from getting rebounds, and tend to get fouls a lot that way too. I stopped watching them for the most part (not that I watched much basketball anyway) because any time the team gets a little hype they somehow manage to spectacularly tank even the tiniest of expectations. The Hurricanes are actually a dream in comparison.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Just looked and saw fouls were 25-7, State was either INCREDIBLY undisciplined while Carolina played super clean...or the refs were making horse**** calls/non-calls in Carolina's favor...or a combination thereof...you be the judge

I want to say I can't believe blew perhaps their best chance to beat UNC at home, but this IS the team who can beat #1 Duke at home and then lose to someone like High Point or CPCC Rec Club or something stupid like that
Free throws were 25-7, not fouls.

Many of them came at the end of the game. And the ball was going inside to Brooks and Bacot consistently, Funderburk not so much.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I can't believe I'm reading anything about refs impacting the game. This game was the perfect example of life as an NC State fan. State sucks and it starts with KK. High ball screen and 1:1 is f***ing trash. Its so frustrating to watch set plays consistently work... and then only run about 3 per game. This team has too much talent to be this shitty.

Giglio said it best yesterday: "You have to have either hope or wins. NC State has neither in its two primary sports right now. And given where the football program was in 2018 or where the basketball program was *last week* it's difficult to comprehend let alone process how it got that way".

I think both KK and DD get another year to show something.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Prime example of someone having the wrong reaction to the situation because they were told the wrong thing be someone else.

Last edited:

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
As a UNC fan when they were up 12 I told my family that the lead isn't safe until the buzzer sounds because Duke does this seemingly every other year. Carolina didn't deserve this win even if they had.

This was as poorly coached end of game as I have known Roy to coach and this just this year has had quite a few. No I am not saying fire Roy. That would be stupid and reactionary.

I am glad I have the Hurricanes to break my heart now so this doesn't have to hurt like it would have when the ACC had 8/9 teams. When I was younger a loss like this would have devastated me for awhile.

Last point. How does North Carolina have such consistently poor free throw shooting year after year? You are supposed to be a premier program. Hire a better free throw coach or recruit different players. At one point they were 16 for 30. Unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad