GDT: NCAA Hoops thread

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
2020 has been a sneaky good year for NC State athletics minus the Spring sports shutdown, which even the womens hoops team could have been a Final 4 team, but that was due to no fault of their own. Even the football team won 4-5 games more than I thought they would have and they actually earned their spot in a bowl game unlike a bunch of SEC teams.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Old news but I missed it, the women's team at Duke canceled their season last week.

If more and more games get postponed expect more teams to follow suit.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
A few more Duke losses and K calls it a season - probably uses “out of an abundance of caution” and they pull the plug.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
With Kansas falling out after their string of losses, its the first time since 61 that the 5 blue bloods are not in the top 25 at the same time

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Bizarre season all around...I can't wait to see the NCAA tourney seedings given the wackadoodle schedules and cancellations.

After yesterday's win, Roy has staved off the pitchfork crowd on my alum board for now. I am neutral..wouldn't mind a change in the future but feel he's earned a graceful exit.

Reactions: hockeynjune

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Bizarre season all around...I can't wait to see the NCAA tourney seedings given the wackadoodle schedules and cancellations.

After yesterday's win, Roy has staved off the pitchfork crowd on my alum board for now. I am neutral..wouldn't mind a change in the future but feel he's earned a graceful exit.
As a State fan, I'm all for a change.

Bring back Matt!

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Speaking of State, it seems they may have turned a corner in slaying the beast that is Joel Coliseum. They've won 3 of the last 4 there, which has never happened. I'm old enough to remember watching CC Harrison bank in that crazy buzzer beating 3 in Tim Duncan's senior year (that WFU team was top 3 ranked at the time), if not for that it would have been something like 15 years between wins there.

I'm not a fan of them but it's rough watching Wake Forest basketball these days and the past 10 years. I remember 2009 when they had Jeff Teague and were #1 at one point in the season, 2 years later they won just 1 ACC game, and it hasn't been much to talk about ever since. They looked awful yesterday, I get why but this is going to take time to rebuild. Hopefully for them they don't run Forbes off too quickly.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Speaking of State, it seems they may have turned a corner in slaying the beast that is Joel Coliseum. They've won 3 of the last 4 there, which has never happened. I'm old enough to remember watching CC Harrison bank in that crazy buzzer beating 3 in Tim Duncan's senior year (that WFU team was top 3 ranked at the time), if not for that it would have been something like 15 years between wins there.

I'm not a fan of them but it's rough watching Wake Forest basketball these days and the past 10 years. I remember 2009 when they had Jeff Teague and were #1 at one point in the season, 2 years later they won just 1 ACC game, and it hasn't been much to talk about ever since. They looked awful yesterday, I get why but this is going to take time to rebuild. Hopefully for them they don't run Forbes off too quickly.
I think the Deacons are the ones beating Wake Forest in the Joel. State just happens to be there when it happens.

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
i assume roy will be highly encouraged to have his i'm done moment if angry celtics fans get their way and brad stevens becomes available (not that i think that is actually going to happen). well, if they can finally get over the idea that they have to get a coach from the 'family' - but in this scenario maybe the idea of taking stevens off the board before k retires will motivate unc.

as a state fan, that is the worst possible outcome.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Yes, Stevens does seem to be the favored one of the moment. Shaka Smart had an outside the family shot once upon a time. TX always has our number but can't see us going in that direction now - especially after the brawling bench episode. Wes Miller might be a fun adventure, too.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I don't care if the university system has a hiring freeze and the buyout is expensive; get Archie Miller out of Indiana!

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I don't care if the university system has a hiring freeze and the buyout is expensive; get Archie Miller out of Indiana!
Archie went chasing money. He knew what he has gotten himself into.

Indiana and UCLA are firmly in the mediocre category for basketball. Will remain there for the foreseeable future.

Wake isnt on the basketball map anymore.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So yeah, I don't mean to pile on WFU more but they followed up 39 points with just 46 yesterday. I mean, the program is a work in progress and everyone knows it but that's just rough. At least for Forbes, the bad times are getting out of the way now since these are mostly Mannings players, he'll probably get another "grace" year next season and maybe the season after that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad