GDT: NCAA Hoops thread

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
They haven’t recovered from Prosser’s death. He had them rolling and I thought they were on their way to being another Duke.
Processor’s death is part of it but Wake hasn’t had sustained success to warrant that comparison. Processor’s was a very good coach but not that level.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'd say Wake Forest f***ed up when they fired Dino Gaudio and replaced him with, Jeff Bzdelik.
I think their bigger mistake was Gaudio after Skip. Doing a dead man a favor. They had good momentum before he died and should have gone for a bigger fish then.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
There wasn't much choice for an interim given when Skip died late in the summer. And if they kept Dino interim they probably lose the big class Skip had recruited before his death. It was a tough call and Dino looked good for a couple of regular seasons.

I think if they had let Gaudio have one more year with his recruits (year 4) and let him go they could have found someone better than bzdelik. And when they fired Gaudio after 3 years they couldn't do a quick fire of bzdelik without looking impatient.

Hoping for Beilein as well but it appears he won't be the guy. Thad Matta would be another home run. If neither I'll be happy with Steve Forbes at ETSU.

Reactions: DaveG

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I've come up with a radical new ACC basketball schedule format.

I've divided the ACC basketball teams into pods

Northeast: Boston College, Pittsburgh, Syracuse

Ohio Valley/Virginia: Louisville, Notre Dame, Virginia, Virginia Tech

Tobacco Road: Duke, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Wake Forest

Deep South: Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami

First pod plays 4 games against each team in pod (8), and everyone else once home or road (12).

Other pods play 3 games against each team in pod (9), and everyone else once home or road (11).

This maintains the 20-game conference schedule while putting an emphasis on regional rivalries.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

First pod plays 4 games against each team in pod (8), and everyone else once home or road (12).

Other pods play 3 games against each team in pod (9), and everyone else once home or road (11).

This maintains the 20-game conference schedule while putting an emphasis on regional rivalries.
source.gif

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

I would like to see a 22 game schedule with 8 h&h (shout to the old ACC) and then 6 others once. try to keep the h&h locals as possible while balancing the schedule and exposure.
8 mentioned by each one are their h&h
Cuse: Pitt, BC, L, VT, UVA, ND, State, and GT
BC: Pitt, Cuse: L, VT, UVA, ND, Wake, and GT
Pitt: Cuse, BC, L, VT, UVA, ND, Wake, and FSU
Louisville(L): Pitt, BC, Cuse, M, UVA, ND, Unx, FSU
VT: Pitt, BC, Cuse, UVA, ND, M, Duke, and Wake
UVA: Pitt, BC, L, VT, Cuse, L, Duke, and Wake
ND: Pitt, BC, L, VT, UVA, Cuse, Clemson, M
Wake: BC, Pitt, UVA, Duke, Unx, State, VT, and Clemson
Duke: Wake, State, Unx, Clemson, GT, FSU, UVA, and VT
State: Wake, Duke, Unx, Clemson, GT, FSU, M, and Cuse
Unx: Wake, Duke, State, Clemson, GT, FSU, M, and L
Clemson: State, Duke, Unx, GT, FSU, M, ND, and Wake
FSU: Duke, State, Unx, Clemson, M, GT, L, and Pitt
Miami (M): L, State, Unx, Clemson, Fsu, GT, ND, and VT
GT: Duke, State, Unx, Clemson, Fsu, M, Cuse, and BC

VT, UVA, and ND have 2 Tier 1 teams (Duke, Unx, L, FSU, and Uva) on their while everyone else has 3. I think it’s fairly balanced past that.

thoughts or just another “please god no” meme?

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I don't think they'll increase the schedule to 22 conference games. Division I conferences don't like having more than 20. Conferences in Division II sometimes have more than 20 conference games because the travel budgets are much lower in these divisions.

I came up with this radical plan (which I expect would be adjusted in the event of expansion to 17 teams, I've even come up with a schedule format for a 17-team ACC but that's for another day) for the ACC because in part I want to see all the NC schools play each other at least twice again, like it was before 2004.

I also find it weird that despite their geographical proximity, Louisville and Notre Dame aren't currently protected partners. This is probably a remnant of when Maryland was in the conference, and Louisville's partners were originally Maryland's. I mean Louisville's fanbase extends into southern parts of ND's home state of Indiana, as some of the Louisville suburbs are in that state.

Believe it or not, regional rivalries do matter in conference scheduling. But not to the point where teams would forfeit another 2 NCGs from their schedule. There has already been resistance to expanding to 20 conference games in some leagues. But 22? Not gonna happen, at least not in D1.

Also note that my plan makes "Tobacco Road" - the name for the four-way rivalry among the NC schools - an official conference term.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I don't think they'll increase the schedule to 22 conference games. Division I conferences don't like having more than 20. Conferences in Division II sometimes have more than 20 conference games because the travel budgets are much lower in these divisions.

I came up with this radical plan (which I expect would be adjusted in the event of expansion to 17 teams, I've even come up with a schedule format for a 17-team ACC but that's for another day) for the ACC because in part I want to see all the NC schools play each other at least twice again, like it was before 2004.

I also find it weird that despite their geographical proximity, Louisville and Notre Dame aren't currently protected partners. This is probably a remnant of when Maryland was in the conference, and Louisville's partners were originally Maryland's. I mean Louisville's fanbase extends into southern parts of ND's home state of Indiana, as some of the Louisville suburbs are in that state.

Believe it or not, regional rivalries do matter in conference scheduling. But not to the point where teams would forfeit another 2 NCGs from their schedule. There has already been resistance to expanding to 20 conference games in some leagues. But 22? Not gonna happen, at least not in D1.

Also note that my plan makes "Tobacco Road" - the name for the four-way rivalry among the NC schools - an official conference term.
22 games is as likely to happen as your suggestion so I guess I should start tearing yours down as “not going to happen” as well.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So early thoughts on the new season:

ACC is looking like it's going to be an off year: Louisville and FSU are probably the best in the conference
Big 10 and Big 12 are absolutely loaded this season
Zags are probably the best team in the country this year, but there's a few teams capable of beating them in the tourney.

Reactions: Tryamw

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
NC State hasn't played in a while and still won't, their game with Louisville postponed due to Covid concerns in the Cardinals program.

This is going to be a theme this season. I honestly would not be shocked if March Madness gets cancelled again.

Reactions: DaveG

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Anyone here ever heard of Fort Hays State? Yeah me either but K-State knows who they are

FYI, FHSU is division 2.

Yeah I saw Kansas State dropped a game to some no name team a week ago. Didn't know they were D2 though. That's seriously a brutal loss especially considering the actual score.

I have a feeling a Frank Martin reunion is close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->