Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Steve Cedorchuck (24-40-10) in 2 season

Cedorchuck was a loyal assistant but wasn't a good head coach. He got broomed when Milbury quit the Bruins to take the BC job. Milbury never coached a game and he quit or was fired after taking a hard look at BC's scholarship policies. To this day he won't talk about it at length. He took the job primarily to insure his kids would get a free ride at BC.

BC scrambled and found Jerry York which of course worked out very well.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Boston College hockey player assaulted near Fenway Park - The Boston Globe

A member of the Boston College men’s hockey team is “out indefinitely” after being assaulted Friday at a pizza parlor on Boylston Street, according to a press release from the school’s athletic communications department.
Kevin Lohan, a 6-foot-5 defenseman, was “victimized by an unprovoked assault,” and Boston police are investigating, according to the school.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Boston College hockey player assaulted near Fenway Park - The Boston Globe

A member of the Boston College men’s hockey team is “out indefinitely” after being assaulted Friday at a pizza parlor on Boylston Street, according to a press release from the school’s athletic communications department.
Kevin Lohan, a 6-foot-5 defenseman, was “victimized by an unprovoked assault,” and Boston police are investigating, according to the school.

Geez, how big was the other guy?

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Bumping this up with all the NCAA playoff hockey underway.

In the first round of the Hockey East playoffs:

Maine (6) beat UNH (11)
Lowell (7) lost to Merrimack (10)
UMass (8) beat UVM (9)

This is one of the prettiest goals you will ever see from UMass freshman John Leonard in today’s 5-1 win:

The Quartefinal pairings:

Congrats to the Minutemen, who hadn’t hosted or won a playoff series since 2007. Nice to have college hockey back in Western MA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08SeaBass08

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Congrats Lady Huskies. Only in Boston would they be featured on a newspaper cover.

sports_Mar052018.jpg

Reactions: northeastern

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Bumping this up with all the NCAA playoff hockey underway.

In the first round of the Hockey East playoffs:

Maine (6) beat UNH (11)
Lowell (7) lost to Merrimack (10)
UMass (8) beat UVM (9)

This is one of the prettiest goals you will ever see from UMass freshman John Leonard in today’s 5-1 win:

The Quartefinal pairings:

Congrats to the Minutemen, who hadn’t hosted or won a playoff series since 2007. Nice to have college hockey back in Western MA.

This end-to-end rush(at the 1:07 mark of the video below) was pretty good too.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This end-to-end rush(at the 1:07 mark of the video below) was pretty good too.

Yeah, that’s Cale Makar (2017 4th pick COL).

He’s pretty good :laugh:

Leonard is a local kid. Played lacrosse with my son one year when his town didn’t have a team (8th grade I think) and went to my alma mater (both actually, HS and College).

Had a great start to the year for UMass then got dinged up. Maybe an undrafted kid to keep an eye on?

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
My daughter is a first year Law student at SU and she asked me the same thing. Told her I had no idea.

I did learn that there is a ton of good non-varsity college hockey being played under the leadership of the ACHA:

American Collegiate Hockey Association - Wikipedia

The Rise of the American Collegiate Hockey Association | ACHA

Interesting stuff. Never knew anything about this league until recently.

My budy plays hockey at Syracuse for their club team and he always talks to me about how it's treated like a varsity program and he always wonders the same thing. Apparently they just put a bunch of work into their rink and it's really nice now, almost as if they're really trying to push for a varsity program. I think with Penn States success and the NCAA possibly pushing for more D1 teams all across the country, you could see Syracuse within the next decade have a varsity level hockey team.

Last edited:

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Beats a road trip to Orono in February :)
Hey now, Orono is the best place to play in all of college hockey so idk why anyone wouldn't want to take a road trip up to Orono in the middle of February, especially this year. It's been high 30s/low 40s for quite some time now. I'm walking around campus in shorts an a sweatshirt most days now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My body plays hockey at Syracuse for their club team and he always talks to me about how it's treated like a varsity program and he always wonders the same thing. Apparently they just put a bunch of work into their rink and it's really nice now, almost as if they're really trying to push for a varsity program. I think with Penn States success and the NCAA possibly pushing for more D1 teams all across the country, you could see Syracuse within the next decade have a varsity level hockey team.

I wouldn’t mind them going D1, could watch a few games.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Just seems strange that Lowell was knocked out so early.

I can't see BU or BC running the table to make the NCAA so :dunno:

Northeastern is most likely in, based on their season ranking. In the Pairwise Rankings, which often mimic the NCAA bracket, Northeastern is 10, BC is 17 and BU is 19, so BC and BU are not far off.

I could easily see one of BC or BU winning the Hockey East tournament and getting the auto bid, with Northeastern getting an at large bid if they don’t win HE. I’m not sure even a loss to UMass this weekend would knock Northeastern out?

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
Northeastern is most likely in, based on their season ranking. In the Pairwise Rankings, which often mimic the NCAA bracket, Northeastern is 10, BC is 17 and BU is 19, so BC and BU are not far off.

I could easily see one of BC or BU winning the Hockey East tournament and getting the auto bid, with Northeastern getting an at large bid if they don’t win HE. I’m not sure even a loss to UMass this weekend would knock Northeastern out?

I'll be at Agganis this weekend but you can bet I'll be following closely what goes on on St. Botolph Street. UMass has Cale Makar and is coming off a rousing series win over UVM. If NU wins the series, they're in, but if they don't, they may have to sweat it out, especially if they were swept.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'll be at Agganis this weekend but you can bet I'll be following closely what goes on on St. Botolph Street. UMass has Cale Makar and is coming off a rousing series win over UVM. If NU wins the series, they're in, but if they don't, they may have to sweat it out, especially if they were swept.

I am a UMass alum and a big fan of the team this year, but it will be tough for them to win the series, let alone sweep it.

C0ach B0mbay

Sep 14, 2009
Boston
Hey now, Orono is the best place to play in all of college hockey so idk why anyone wouldn't want to take a road trip up to Orono in the middle of February, especially this year. It's been high 30s/low 40s for quite some time now. I'm walking around campus in shorts an a sweatshirt most days now.

The student section at Alfond is a great place to watch a game. Balcony is like the old Garden - hangs out way over the ice. Students are in the opposing goalie's brain.

@ Providence is a tough ask this weekend, but maybe Swayman can steal it. Go blue!

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Had a birthday party for my 20 yr old son last night so I didn’t get to watch any hockey, but all the Hockey East tilts were one goal games and from the box scores appeared to be closely contested.

Hoping UMass can at least force a third game with a W tonight.

Harvard with a 4-1 loss to Dartmouth and Ryan Donato is one game closer to having to make a big decision.

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Donato with a goal and 3 helpers and one waved off. A big 7-1 win, deciding game Sunday as it is tied in games 1-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->